Downey in Tropic Thunder

crash_davis

I think I only saw Tropic Thunder once. It was so over the top that I honestly didn't know what to think about it. To this day, I don't know or remember if I like the movie or not. I sorta of remember laughing my ass off at the Jack Black scene where he says all kinds of shit about sucking dick and shit.

I stumbled on this video today. Holy shit, Downey was fucking awesome in this movie. I'm going to give this movie it's due and watch it again this weekend, if nothing more than to watch Downey. 

1 hour ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

Was actually watching this yesterday and wondering if the movie would get crucified today because of Simple Jack.

56 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Never go full retard.  And yes, it would be crucified.

42 minutes ago, Red Five said:

The Simple Jack stuff was borderline then.

are we just gonna overlook the optics of downey in blackface?

i mean, the movie treated it in a correctly satirical manner, but i don't know that they get away with that today either.

i fucking love that movie.

tumblr_nc4ewtX6Ye1rvcjd7o2_500.gifv

Edited by hayden_horn

4 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

are we just gonna overlook the optics of downey in blackface?

i mean, the movie treated it in a correctly satirical manner, but i don't know that they get away with that today either.

i fucking love that movie.

ytqe724mrseyvdq9fai4.jpg

• Like 2

Just now, Red Five said:

There have been some changes in the last 12 years. I don't think they would even attempt the Simple Jack and blackface stuff now. 

Well, you might have the inside scoop there, Chief.  LOl.

I loved the movie just like most on here.  i just didn't see it as daring and taking chances like some folks make it sound.  and Grossman did absolutely steal the show.

• Like 1

Downy always had some talent, near greatness here and there, but he wasted so many years on stupidass shit. Blew a decade on Iron Man only to re-emerge in a shitty Disney remake of Dr. Doodoolittle. Too bad he's such a sellout whore like 99.9 percent of actors.

Edited by DougO

11 minutes ago, DougO said:

Downy always had some talent, near greatness here and there, but he wasted so many years on stupidass shit. Blew a decade on Iron Man only to re-emerge in a shitty Disney remake of Dr. Doodoolittle. Too bad he's such a sellout whore like 99.9 percent of actors.

Yeah Bezos was a hell of a book salesman too he could have been one of the greats if he didn’t waste all that time on other stuff. 

• Like 4

I didn't do it. If I did it was probably because I was trying to get a thread back on topic and a post that added nothing to the discussion and was just a personal attack.

At some point a long time ago, someone didn't like whatever names were being used to describe dumb people and suggested we use retard instead. Fast forward to more recent times and people have decided retard is offensive and needs to be differentially disabled or some such. Twenty years from now some people are going to be offended by differentially disabled and come up with some other wording and the cycle will repeat.  

I don’t think he “wasted” his time on Iron Man. Probably earned a couple hundred million off that franchise.
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Red Five said:

There have been some changes in the last 12 years. I don't think they would even attempt the Simple Jack and blackface stuff now. 

A friend of mine, who is "in the industry" (behind the camera/production though), and who is black (relevant) was at a roundtable not long ago with a bunch of other minority producers/writers, and they got to talking about past movies in that vein (Blazing Saddles, etc.) that poke fun at movie-making, stereotypes, etc., and Tropic Thunder came up.  On a side note, when people talk about whether a Blazing Saddles could be made today, he pointed out that it was 100% a product of its time, and would not have the same impact now, given that it was so close to the major civil rights movements/events.   Also, Richard Pryor is dead.

Anyways, it was divided, but several thought, if the right people were involved in directing, producing, or writing, that somebody could pull off the Downey character, and that it could be sold to a studio and audiences as long as it was crystal clear that you had the same situation/parody, where Downey is not portraying a black person, but is portraying a pretentious actor who takes method acting so seriously, that he thinks he can play a black character.  He said you'd have to have somebody like Jordan Peele involved.

Then somebody brought up the Simple Jack character, and it was unanimous on whether or not you could do that today.

spacer.png

Edit: and in a few interviews, Downey has mentioned that he caught little grief, because everybody was pissed about the Simple Jack character.

Edited by atomheartbevo

8 hours ago, blacklab said:

I didn't do it. If I did it was probably because I was trying to get a thread back on topic and a post that added nothing to the discussion and was just a personal attack.

At some point a long time ago, someone didn't like whatever names were being used to describe dumb people and suggested we use retard instead. Fast forward to more recent times and people have decided retard is offensive and needs to be differentially disabled or some such. Twenty years from now some people are going to be offended by differentially disabled and come up with some other wording and the cycle will repeat.  

i dunno, it may have been me, but i do think if it was, it had to do with someone calling autistic people retarded, and it may have had to do with someone's kid. i vaguely remember giving a timeout for something like that. it wasn't a simple "never go retard" type of thing.

13 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Yeah Bezos was a hell of a book salesman too he could have been one of the greats if he didn’t waste all that time on other stuff. 

Right, because he had the great foresight to not focus on comic books and children's books.

36 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Those were generally good movies, he was perfect in the role, and made hundreds of millions of dollars. Yeah I bet he regrets it on his deathbed.

21 minutes ago, DougO said:

Right. His goal was to make as much money as possible, not make great art. That was my point. Good for him, if that's what he wants. Bad for people who miss great cinema.

It's kind of amazing he didn't Philip Seymour Hoffman himself in the 80's/early 90's.

23 hours ago, blacklab said:

I thought we switched to regarded. 

Which always makes me laugh when someone on tv is described as highly regarded. 

• Like 1

A friend of mine, who is "in the industry" (behind the camera/production though), and who is black (relevant) was at a roundtable not long ago with a bunch of other minority producers/writers, and they got to talking about past movies in that vein (Blazing Saddles, etc.) that poke fun at movie-making, stereotypes, etc., and Tropic Thunder came up.  On a side note, when people talk about whether a Blazing Saddles could be made today, he pointed out that it was 100% a product of its time, and would not have the same impact now, given that it was so close to the major civil rights movements/events.   Also, Richard Pryor is dead.
Anyways, it was divided, but several thought, if the right people were involved in directing, producing, or writing, that somebody could pull off the Downey character, and that it could be sold to a studio and audiences as long as it was crystal clear that you had the same situation/parody, where Downey is not portraying a black person, but is portraying a pretentious actor who takes method acting so seriously, that he thinks he can play a black character.  He said you'd have to have somebody like Jordan Peele involved.
Then somebody brought up the Simple Jack character, and it was unanimous on whether or not you could do that today.
source.gif

Edit: and in a few interviews, Downey has mentioned that he caught little grief, because everybody was pissed about the Simple Jack character.

Pretty sure Simple Jack was a poke at Sean Penn in I Am Sam.
  • Like 1