Downey in Tropic Thunder

crash_davis

25 minutes ago, TxTower said:

Pretty sure Simple Jack was a poke at Sean Penn in I Am Sam.

Yeah, but they took it up to 11.   Even creating a fake marketing campaign for the Simple Jack movie that caused a shitstorm.  And referring to him in marketing materials as a “retard”   

https://www.businessinsider.com/2008/8/disability-groups-furious-as-dreamworks-and-ben-stiller-make-fun-of-retard-

Debate has centered on the film’s approach to a character named Simple Jack, right, who is played by Ben Stiller’s character, an actor, in the movie. Movie and marketing materials refer to the character as a “retard.” Ms. Sommers said the groups, which include the National Down Syndrome Congress and the Special Olympics, had not yet formulated specific requests for DreamWorks.

https://www.businessinsider.com/2008/8/dreamworks-simple-jack-retard-movie-offended-people-so-we-took-site-down

We told you this morning about the disability groups upset over the portrayal of "Simple Jack" as a "retard" in the upcoming DreamWorks film, Tropic Thunder. We noted that the fake Simple JackWeb site and trailer had suspiciously disappeared.

Sources close to the situation tell us that DreamWorks decided to take down the site and trailer after realizing that, viewed out of context, both could seem insensitive to people with disabilities. The site and Simple Jack teaser poster, still floating around online were the only widely-accessible marketing materials referring to the fake film.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Fondren & Main said:

People in this country are just too soft.  Becoming bigger pussies by the day.

Hell, Eddie Murphy would get lambasted for some of the shit he did in the 80’s if the films came out today.  And, his specials, fucking hilarious, but not snowflake approved.

His films would largely be ok.  Standup, not so much.

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

His films would largely be ok.  Standup, not so much.

Anthony Jeselnik has Netflix specials out, where he makes fun of Eric Clapton's toddler falling out of a window and dying, killing puppies, kids with cancer,  injuring kids, incest, suicide-murders, abortion, Alzheimers, dropping babies, deaf people.

There's plenty of standup out there that would cause plenty of people to shit bricks, you just never hear of it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Anthony Jeselnik has Netflix specials out, where he makes fun of Eric Clapton's toddler falling out of a window and dying, killing puppies, kids with cancer,  injuring kids, incest, suicide-murders, abortion, Alzheimers, dropping babies, deaf people.

There's plenty of standup out there that would cause plenty of people to shit bricks, you just never hear of it.

What is his Surly handle?

6 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Right, but he’s not Eddie Murphy. 

24 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

That's his whole shtick, and it's awesome

1 minute ago, conVINCEd said:

You talking about the last 20 years when he was trying to be a family man?  Because once he was on SNL, Eddie Murphy became Eddie Murphy pretty quickly.

Yeah, the last.  Now, he's gone full-tilt into being Eddie Murphy again, complete with a Coming to America sequel, etc.

47 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yeah, the last.  Now, he's gone full-tilt into being Eddie Murphy again, complete with a Coming to America sequel, etc.

I’m in on Coming to America part deux, and if Eddie really wants to just take my money, they can do another sequel to Beverly Hills Cop.  He has a nice little window here to just take money from 40-somethings.

42 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I’m in on Coming to America part deux, and if Eddie really wants to just take my money, they can do another sequel to Beverly Hills Cop.  He has a nice little window here to just take money from 40-somethings.

They are doing another Beverly HIlls Cop.

Saw this in the theater and loved it! I k es i was in for a real treat as soon as they started showing those fake trailers at the beginning of the movie and one was about a forbidden love between two monks played by Tobey Maguire and Kirk Lazarus (Downey)....they touch fingers and give each other a look that just killed me.

Less grossman, Danny McBride, Downey...all killed me. This also had MM playing the agent. That role was supposed to go to Owen Wilson but MM filled in last minute when OW tried to kill himself

Great movie

To this day I still haven’t laughed in a theater as hard as I did during those fake trailers. Fucking brilliant. 

sure, they could make the movie today. But they would have to cut the Simple Jack stuff, or change it significantly. Part of the point of that movie was making fun of what “could still be made fun of,” and pushing the limits. There were poking fun at all the moral outrage types. And 12-years later, you can’t say hello without offending someone. 

On 1/16/2020 at 5:03 AM, Incredulity said:

Hilarious movie. Stiller can rub me wrong, but he killed it with this movie.

Absolutely no way this movie gets made today, and frankly I am surprised it hasn’t been shamed off of the cable movie rotation.  People need to lighten the fuck up.

yeah, good luck with that unless we can somehow blow up all 24 hour news channels and the internet.