Tito's is # 1

Hornius Emeritus

14 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Maybe a dumb question. But if Tito's is made from distilled corn, how is it different from "White Dog" distilled from corn, which my understanding is just the distilled spirit for whiskey but not placed in oak barrels (hence not whiskey but white dog).

Really not any difference at all.  Vodka can be made from anything that can be fermented.  Most vodkas aren't made from potatoes, they're made from grain including wheat or corn-- whatever was prevalent in the region, typically.  But you could make vodka out of grapes or watermelon or anything else that will ferment.

Moonshine can also be made from anything that ferments, although white whiskey is technically made from grain exclusively.  Also, whiskey has some clear guidelines on proofing before it can be called whiskey, and it has to at least touch oak before it can gain the name.  Even white whiskey touches oak, but doesn't age in it.  Not sure if white dog is the same as white whiskey though?

Edited by utee94

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/15/2020 at 10:40 PM, RPM said:

I met Bert Beveridge, Jr when I worked for Centennial and he was just starting out. He was doing tastings all over the state and stopped in our store several times in his old red suv (pretty sure it was an Isuzu Trooper). Anyway, he was the nicest guy you'd ever want to meet. Talked about starting from less than scratch, maxing out his credit cards and fighting the TABC. Bumped into him a few years later after things really started going for him and he was still the same old Tito. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. BTW, Tito is short for Bertito (Little Bert).

He used to pop into the Hole In The Wall way back in the day when he was getting the distillery up and running; really cool guy, he deserves his success...

There are a lot of comments on here about not being able to tell the difference between Tito’s and other vodka’s. For me and several other friends, we could absolutely tell the difference immediately the very first time we tried it. It was a completely different flavor.

However, this was back when it was first introduced and he was still using trash cans to make it. Nowadays, with the high volumes, the taste difference is way less. Part of the downside of growth I guess.

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

There are a lot of comments on here about not being able to tell the difference between Tito’s and other vodka’s. For me and several other friends, we could absolutely tell the difference immediately the very first time we tried it. It was a completely different flavor.

However, this was back when it was first introduced and he was still using trash cans to make it. Nowadays, with the high volumes, the taste difference is way less. Part of the downside of growth I guess.

Vodka, by definition (and "law) is a neutral grain spirit, right? Neutral? 

https://www.npr.org/2018/03/01/590022606/is-there-really-a-difference-between-expensive-vodka-and-cheap-vodka

I still can't believe that people insist that stuff like Grey Goose is so better than other stuff. I'm not saying buy the absolute cheapest stuff, but if you're buying "premium" vodka you're doing it wrong, especially if you're mixing it.

• Like 1

On 2/1/2020 at 6:56 PM, Shaddie said:

Not sure I agree with you Asithappens. 

It’s not really a taste it is more of a smoothness. For mixed drinks, sure not a lot of difference but I personally prefer good vodka on the rocks and For vodka martini it damn sure makes a difference. 

Very true. You like what you like.

I found this, which may or may not apply here.

Another taste test conducted by the New York Times suggests the same thing:

Delving into the world of vodka reveals a spirit unlike almost any other, with standards that make judging it substantially different from evaluating wine, beer, whiskey or even root beer. A malt whiskey should be distinctive, singular. The same goes for a Burgundy or a Belgian ale. But vodka? Vodka is measured by its purity, by an almost Platonic neutrality that makes tasting it more akin to tasting bottled waters, or snowflakes. [...]

A lack of distinctiveness is a separate matter from a lack of distinction. The vodkas we tasted had character and their own flavors and aromas, even though the differences among them were often subtle and difficult to articulate. [...]

That being said, at the end of our tasting it was Smirnoff at the top of our list, ahead of many other names that are no doubt of higher status in stylish bars and lounges. [...] The prices of these vodkas ranged from a low of $13 for the Smirnoff to a high of $34 for Potocki, a Polish vodka that did not make our cut. The Belvedere also cost $34, but that was for a liter rather than the usual 750 milliliter bottle. Imported vodkas tend to cost more, partly because of taxes levied by various governments, currency exchange rates and, not least, marketing concerns: as has been proved in many industries, wine not least of all, raising the price of a product increases its status among consumers.

From: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/26/dining/26wine.html

As a counterpoint, here's another report suggesting most people can not tell the difference:

To summarize our findings,

1. Given a particular brand of vodka, people prefer its taste after it has been filtered, but this is most likely because filtration reduces the alcohol content.
  2. Most people can’t tell the difference between an expensive vodka with high alcohol content and a cheaper vodka with lower alcohol content.

Our second experiment demonstrated approximately equal preferences for Pavlova and Ketel One. Although Pavlova contains 3-5% less alcohol by volume than Ketel One, it is also 70% cheaper, so it would seem a clear winner.

On 1/16/2020 at 1:33 PM, BabaYaga said:

Did my part last night @ Jasper's in Richardson.  I have a neighbor who's father is 100% motherland-Russian.  Dude knows his "Wod-ka" and had a few bottles for us to try.  I've become a big fan.  

Potato vodka?  Used to love that shit.  Wasn’t always easy to find so I kind of quit trying.  It’s been years...I might need to seek some out again.

On 1/15/2020 at 8:48 PM, After irth said:

Never liked Tito’s. People look at me like I’m crazy when I say that. Not gonna talk shit about it. Just don’t like it. 

Is that wrong?

no.  and I agree.  think it's cool a texas vodka and business is doing so well.  I simply do not like the taste of it.  

On 1/15/2020 at 9:55 PM, DalTxHornFan said:

Vodka is vodka once you get past the really lower bottom shelf stuff.  Plus, most of you heathens mix it with other stuff when you drink it, so you couldn't possibly know the difference between Tito's and any other decent vodka.  Kudo's to Tito's for their marketing.  And that's all I've got to say about that. 

I see this sentiment all of the time, and it's rampant in this thread, with this post being the first version of the "you wouldn't know the difference between them if you were blindfolded" premise. I've done the taste test with a couple of friends, and yeah, once you go above the rotgut, the differences are subtle, if even noticeable. 

In any event, what I care about more with vodka, particularly, is what it's going to make me feel like the next day if I decide to really put a few down. From that end, there is a noticeable difference between Tito's, Hammer & Sickle, Grey Goose, and then everybody else. Given that, give me a dirty fucking martini, or 4, with Tito's, GG, or H&S and I don't have to worry much about tasting the vodka as I do getting the buzz and neverminding the aftermath.

On 2/3/2020 at 9:12 AM, GreenspointTexas said:

What the fuck is a vodka martini? Is that like a tequila mojito?

The hipster douchery around a vodka martini not being a martini is one of the more annoying foodie maneuvers I encounter.

I've had a few bartenders attempt to correct me when I ask for a vodka martini and I go full fucking Gus McCrae on them. Yes, I know the story of the martini, asshole. I also know that millennials have "literally" ruined a whole bunch of vocabulary and other shit with their shorthand and insouciant half-assery when it comes to getting anything right. You know what a fucking vodka martini is, I don't care about the 100+ year old origin story of the gin martini, now make me a fucking vodka martini and go get your shinebox. 

• Like 2

The hipster douchery around a vodka martini not being a martini is one of the more annoying foodie maneuvers I encounter.

I've had a few bartenders attempt to correct me when I ask for a vodka martini and I go full fucking Gus McCrae on them. Yes, I know the story of the martini, asshole. I also know that millennials have "literally" ruined a whole bunch of vocabulary and other shit with their shorthand and insouciant half-assery when it comes to getting anything right. You know what a fucking vodka martini is, I don't care about the 100+ year old origin story of the gin martini, now make me a fucking vodka martini and go get your shinebox. 

Gin is disgusting. ketel one is my go to for vodka martini

Deep Eddy Sweet Tea Vodka with Simply sugar free lemonade during the summer is a solid drink.

On 2/4/2020 at 2:25 PM, closetojumping said:

I see this sentiment all of the time, and it's rampant in this thread, with this post being the first version of the "you wouldn't know the difference between them if you were blindfolded" premise. I've done the taste test with a couple of friends, and yeah, once you go above the rotgut, the differences are subtle, if even noticeable. 

In any event, what I care about more with vodka, particularly, is what it's going to make me feel like the next day if I decide to really put a few down. From that end, there is a noticeable difference between Tito's, Hammer & Sickle, Grey Goose, and then everybody else. Given that, give me a dirty fucking martini, or 4, with Tito's, GG, or H&S and I don't have to worry much about tasting the vodka as I do getting the buzz and neverminding the aftermath.

The hipster douchery around a vodka drink not being a martini is one of the more annoying foodie maneuvers I encounter.

I've had a few bartenders attempt to correct me when I ask for a vodka martini and I go full fucking Gus McCrae on them. Yes, I know the story of the martini, asshole. I also know that millennials have "literally" ruined a whole bunch of vocabulary and other shit with their shorthand and insouciant half-assery when it comes to getting anything right. You know what a fucking vodka martini is, I don't care about the 100+ year old origin story of the gin martini, now make me a fucking vodka drink and go get your shinebox. 

literally fify

• 4 weeks later...

SIAP, but Tito's opening brick and mortar retail:

http://austinfoodmagazine.com/titos-retail-store/

Tito’s Handmade Vodka is opening the Love, Tito’s store the brand’s first consumer touchpoint, a brick and mortar retail store in downtown Austin to pay homage to the spirit and people of the city of Austin.

The shop officially opens for business this Saturday, March 7th and will sell branded gear and serve as a community space for Tito’s programming, live music and nonprofit events. The opening of the store represents an important next step for Tito’s, as the brand continues to focus on connecting with fans in real life and raising awareness of its philanthropic work.

The store will represent the spirit of the Love, Tito’s program, bringing to life the 22+ year history of Tito’s and its employees giving back to communities and causes around the country. Similar to the Tito’s webstore, net proceeds from every purchase made at the retail store will benefit a nonprofit of the customer’s choice, which they’ll select from a list of participating organizations at checkout. From local Austinites to the 27.4 million annual Austin visitors, Tito’s hopes to encourage more people to live out the brand’s mission to turn spirits into love and goodness.

Store elements include:
– A Vodka for Dog People section complete with an Instagram-ready dog photobooth
– A Love, Tito’s give-back component where customers can select the nonprofit that their purchase benefits
– A lounge space complete with a TV screen of trivia, photos and video content from the brand’s early days
– An interactive map featuring downtown bars and restaurants that serve a mean Tito’s cocktail
– Some classic true-to-Austin neon signage, and so much more!

The most impressive thing about the Titos numbers is that it is only straight vodka. Everyone else has 8 other flavored expressions of vodka in their lineups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you took vodka and made it straight you'd have whiskey.

On 2/4/2020 at 12:59 PM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Handmade my ass

My understanding is that many vodka sellers buy pre-made vodka from central distillers. Perhaps they do one or two things to it when it arrives to add flavor but they don’t make it from scratch. If they do it from scratch, then it should be obvious by just looking at satellite photos of their “distillery.” Are they storing raw ingredients in bulk? I have no idea about Tito’s.

and it’s not really a complaint. Pure vodka is neutral and basically the exact same thing.

anyway some of your favorite liquors are purchased here: https://www.mgpingredients.com/distilled-spirits/beverage/product with this company and a marketing budget, you can start your liquor company overnight. And marketing is 100x more important than distilling to be successful.

heres another company that will sell you your vodka and bottle it: https://ultrapure-usa.com/services-2/spirits-brand-owners/. Turnkey liquor company 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

• 1 year later...
On 3/7/2020 at 4:47 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

My understanding is that many vodka sellers buy pre-made vodka from central distillers. Perhaps they do one or two things to it when it arrives to add flavor but they don’t make it from scratch. If they do it from scratch, then it should be obvious by just looking at satellite photos of their “distillery.” Are they storing raw ingredients in bulk? I have no idea about Tito’s.

Tito's makes it onsite. I know someone that was involved with their buildout and they use so much natural gas, they had to have the gas company build them their gas main, instead of an industrial sized service line, to fuel their stills.

39 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Tito's makes it onsite. I know someone that was involved with their buildout and they use so much natural gas, they had to have the gas company build them their gas main, instead of an industrial sized service line, to fuel their stills.

Yeah I've been to the distillery and got the $1 tour from Tito, way back in the day. We were the very first UT tailgate party he ever sponsored and when we went out for our first pickup of product, he showed us around the place.  We passed a vat that was collecting warm vodka coming off the final stage of distillation and Tito popped the flex line out of the tank, held it over his mouth, and drank.  Then he offered it to me and of course I did.  It was actually quite tasty, even warm.  So, if aboutt 20 years ago you had a bottle of Tito's that tasted slightly of my spit-- well-- sorry for partying.

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

Yeah I've been to the distillery and got the $1 tour from Tito, way back in the day. We were the very first UT tailgate party he ever sponsored and when we went out for our first pickup of product, he showed us around the place.  We passed a vat that was collecting warm vodka coming off the final stage of distillation and Tito popped the flex line out of the tank, held it over his mouth, and drank.  Then he offered it to me and of course I did.  It was actually quite tasty, even warm.  So, if aboutt 20 years ago you had a bottle of Tito's that tasted slightly of my spit-- well-- sorry for partying.

2 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Neither of you are describing vodka manufactured from scratch. Were you shown the large vats where the ingredients are mixed prior to distilling? Most vodka makers buy the base vodka from a manufacturer and then distill it again or filter it to create their distinctive flavor.  Tito's says they distill and distribute vodka.  Then they can claim batch or locally distilled vodka, which is true. I don't disagree with their definition.

But if I'm wrong, then it should be easy to see the vast amounts of corn stored onsite at Tito's site, along with vats, fermenters, etc. Those can't be missed even from a satellite view.  And it's also not a slam to say they buy it. All vodka starts off the same: grain neutral spirit. And in the US, it's all made by 2 or 3 manufacturers. Why go through the trouble of building a multi-million dollar facility only to produce an exact duplicate of something available on the market right this minute?  Instead it's better business to jump right to step 5, produce the minor flavor, add your story and packaging and off you go.

Apologies if I'm ruining anyone's illusion about vodka marketers. And I don't fault anyone from not saying their vodka was sourced from Archer-Daniels-Midland. That's not a good story.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie