Trudy's in trouble

elguapo

We went to Trudys North Star a year or so ago, and I realize that nostalgia is bullshit. 

Because the place was dirty and terrible. 

When you're a broke ass college kid, a lot of things seem great because you're stupid, drunk and/or high all the time, and have no taste. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

My main Trudy's memory, out on the deck with friends getting our drank on. There's an intense little white guy sitting there unironically wearing a silk Chinese shirt from the Ming Dynasty or some shit, buttoned up to his intense white chin. Apparently, Honorable White Devil has survived a bruising round of job interviews with unsatisfactory results. He kept ranting about his "skill sets", this was 2001, that bit of jargon was fresh and edgy. Skill sets. Skill sets. Skill sets.

I was drunk, but not drunk enough to say "Maybe it's not your skill sets. Maybe it was your dumbass Kung Fu movie shirt."

Skill sets.

And, that intense little white guy in the dumbass Kung Fu movie shirt grew up to be Justin W. Smith!"

• Like 2

18 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

My main Trudy's memory, out on the deck with friends getting our drank on. There's an intense little white guy sitting there unironically wearing a silk Chinese shirt from the Ming Dynasty or some shit, buttoned up to his intense white chin. Apparently, Honorable White Devil has survived a bruising round of job interviews with unsatisfactory results. He kept ranting about his "skill sets", this was 2001, that bit of jargon was fresh and edgy. Skill sets. Skill sets. Skill sets.

I was drunk, but not drunk enough to say "Maybe it's not your skill sets. Maybe it was your dumbass Kung Fu movie shirt."

Skill sets.

This deserves a /csb.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2020 at 11:06 AM, Brisketexan said:

The surprising good dish there was their CFS.  It was really good, and you could get it topped with gravy and then green chile sauce, which took it up a notch.  But again, I haven't been to one in at least 10 years, and that was only because I was dragged there by an expat Austinite back in town who wanted a plate of nostalgia.

We stayed across the street in an AirBNB for our youngest's graduation last May.  Location was fantastic, and the Mexican martinis hit the spot.  I don't think we ever actually had a meal though. /csb

3 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

We stayed across the street in an AirBNB for our youngest's graduation last May.  Location was fantastic, and the Mexican martinis hit the spot.  I don't think we ever actually had a meal though. /csb

They serve food? 

• Like 1

Baby A's was always shit, but Trudy's back in the 90's at least up until 2005 was pretty good.  Migas hit the spot every time.  They had good quesadillas as well.  Stuffed avocado, too.  And I remember one dish called Ciro's Special.  Grilled chicken cut into cubes, mushrooms, spinach, and sliced avocado, all covered in queso.  Yes please.

I was excited when the Dripping Springs location opened because I hadn't been in several years, but that location sucked from day 1.

On 1/17/2020 at 2:39 AM, vicerous said:

Fuck em. The location near Dripping Springs always smelled like bleach and wet carpet. Terrible service and shit food apart from a few items that they couldn't serve half the time

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

The Dripping location was terrible.  The only reason they stayed open so long was because it was one of the only options out there.  When all the restaurants started to open across the street they were done.  They closed down almost a year to the day that Hat Creek opened up.  After Hat Creek opened up another 5 or 6 were open within a few months and Trudy's was a ghost town.  I thought I remember seeing that they were trying to sell that property for 8 million, its still for sale a year after it closed.

On 1/16/2020 at 11:03 AM, conVINCEd said:

I’m a little surprised that they have managed to maintain their liquor license for this long.  Lots of underaged fun back in the day with seemingly zero fucks given.

This.

Loved it in college. Wife and kids and I stopped in the flagship a few years back on our way to SA. It was average-at-best.

• 1 month later...

Looks like the ownership group for El Arroyo, and others, are stepping in to loan money to Trudy's to get it back to being fully operational and a viable candidate for sale.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/trudys-tex-mex-restaurant-boosted-in-bankruptcy-court-by-loan-from-el-arroyo-owner/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_KXAN_News&fbclid=IwAR1PcPXJmWs5o1dO5X3aFESutnMof_cRK5Uy_IDaSx8FmNyqDoIGpSLT2qE

8 hours ago, utee94 said:

Looks like the ownership group for El Arroyo, and others, are stepping in to loan money to Trudy's to get it back to being fully operational and a viable candidate for sale.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/trudys-tex-mex-restaurant-boosted-in-bankruptcy-court-by-loan-from-el-arroyo-owner/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_KXAN_News&fbclid=IwAR1PcPXJmWs5o1dO5X3aFESutnMof_cRK5Uy_IDaSx8FmNyqDoIGpSLT2qE

from the article:

Trudy’s Tex-Mex restaurant chain has three locations in Austin: Trudy’s North Star on Burnet Road, Trudy’s South Star on Little Texas Lane and South Congress Cafe.

So is the Trudy's just north of Campus under different ownership?

24 minutes ago, yoladu said:

from the article:

Trudy’s Tex-Mex restaurant chain has three locations in Austin: Trudy’s North Star on Burnet Road, Trudy’s South Star on Little Texas Lane and South Congress Cafe.

So is the Trudy's just north of Campus under different ownership?

It burned last Fall and I don't think it has reopened yet, so maybe they're not considering it for that reason? 

19 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Like the play by El Arroyo but begs the question—-how the hell are they still in business too?   

Yeah, my thoughts too, kinda like the blind leading the blind...

On 1/16/2020 at 11:04 AM, irishtexan said:

The food at Trudy's is pretty terrible. I did enjoy numerous Mexican martinis and bowls of queso at the campus location in college. But the food..... it's not good. 

pretty much the size of it.  the martinis were cool and tasty.  the food is below average, but acceptable college eats.