Mexico City

SimonBolivar

2 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

Yea do not use the taxis at all. Uber is great and I never felt unsafe but I haven't really felt unsafe anywhere and I am also an idiot (most of the time)

It's quite remarkable Uber has taken off in Mexico City as it has according to this thread.

We were in Playa Del Carmen a couple of years ago when Uber was trying to get established in Qunitana Roo.  The Taxi unions were having protests and it go kind of ugly at times.  I understood from reading up on the issue the Taxi Unions are very strong all over Mexico.   

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Bumping this thread up.

Looking at doing a quick four day type trip and lot's of good advice on here.  From what I've read on other website, CDMX is very under appreciated compared to other international destinations.  I'm very pumped about going down there.  

We are going to fly directly from SA to Mexico City.   Aeromexico, Interjet, Viva Aerobus, and Volaris all have one direct flight to CDMX.  I understand Southwest is suspending service to CDMX and I don't think they flew direct from SA to CDMX in the first place?       I've flown to Mexico  (not CDMX) before, but on Southwest and American.     How is the quality of the above?   Another reason I ask because I am looking at making further trips in Mexico and South America and you can find  more flights to those destinations flying out of CDMX vs IHA or DFW.   I'd like to have a go to airline to build up frequent flier miles with when the time comes.

18 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Bumping this thread up.

Looking at doing a quick four day type trip and lot's of good advice on here.  From what I've read on other website, CDMX is very under appreciated compared to other international destinations.  I'm very pumped about going down there.  

We are going to fly directly from SA to Mexico City.   Aeromexico, Interjet, Viva Aerobus, and Volaris all have one direct flight to CDMX.  I understand Southwest is suspending service to CDMX and I don't think they flew direct from SA to CDMX in the first place?       I've flown to Mexico  (not CDMX) before, but on Southwest and American.     How is the quality of the above?   Another reason I ask because I am looking at making further trips in Mexico and South America and you can find  more flights to those destinations flying out of CDMX vs IHA or DFW.   I'd like to have a go to airline to build up frequent flier miles with when the time comes.

Great decision, you'll enjoy it.

I flew Interjet direct out of SA and had no problems at all. I'd never flown via Mexican airlines so I had some concerns, but it wasn't much different from a Southwest flight imo. I'd do it again without reservation.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2019 at 10:42 AM, BurdineBandit said:

Great decision, you'll enjoy it.

I flew Interjet direct out of SA and had no problems at all. I'd never flown via Mexican airlines so I had some concerns, but it wasn't much different from a Southwest flight imo. I'd do it again without reservation.

Can't wait to go! 

Looking earlier today,  it appears Interjet has the most schedule friendly flights out of SA and return from CDMX.   You also get free beer on Interjet and Aeromexico which you can't go wrong when it's Mexican Beer!   

VivaAerobus and Volarias are cheep, but nickel and dime you on everything including a carry on and a bag peanuts.   

Question for the México City experts. I used to travel there on business a lot about 10-15 years ago. I haven been down there since that time period.

I have to go down for a meeting in two weeks. I’m thinking about flying down early on Friday with the wife and hanging out for two days with her. How is safety these days? Can we get around ok on our own? My wife is very leery of Mexico these days. Will she freak out over anything? I used to avoid the green taxis when I went. Don’t know what it’s like these days.

Don't start no shit, won't be no shit. Really though, it's fine. No more unsafe for travelers than any big US city. Getting in a car for your daily commute to work is statistically far more dangerous than being a tourist in CDMX.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• 10 months later...

Bump. Heading down for the first time this Friday through Monday. Pujol's Taco Omakase for dinner Friday night, Contramar for lunch Saturday, and Quintonil for dinner Saturday night. Hoping for street food for all other meals. Staying in Condesa right on Parque Mexico. Anyone have any good cocktail bar suggestions? Basically every guidebook says La Clandestina and Limantour, so I'm expecting both to be overrun.    

Just now, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Bump. Heading down for the first time this Friday through Monday. Pujol's Taco Omakase for dinner Friday night, Contramar for lunch Saturday, and Quintonil for dinner Saturday night. Hoping for street food for all other meals. Staying in Condesa right on Parque Mexico. Anyone have any good cocktail bar suggestions? Basically every guidebook says La Clandestina and Limantour, so I'm expecting both to be overrun.    

The bar on top of El Gran Hotel Ciudad de Mexico has the best view in the country and the mango margarita is the same one you'll find all over town (with the lucas on the rim). It's a bit more expensive for CDMX, but still dirt cheap compared to here. Other than that there are a ton of bars in the Roma Norte/Condesa area around Fuente de Cibeles. 

• Like 1

If you're looking for things to do too then definitely hit up The Basilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe on Sunday. It's half church and half market on Sundays with tons of families taking their babies to be baptized and what not. I'm not religious and I think I was the only Anglo there that day but I found it to be a lot of fun and very interesting. Teotihuacan was fine but quite the drive and you see some serious poverty on the way out there. I'd rather have done more in town if given the opportunity over driving out there. Also don't plan on doing much on Monday as most places are closed. We flew out late on a Monday and spent most of the day just shopping and looking in Museum windows.

Edited by SimonBolivar

26 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

If you're looking for things to do too then definitely hit up The Basilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe on Sunday. It's half church and half market on Sundays with tons of families taking their babies to be baptized and what not. I'm not religious and I think I was the only Anglo there that day but I found it to be a lot of fun and very interesting. Teotihuacan was fine but quite the drive and you see some serious poverty on the way out there. I'd rather have done more in town if given the opportunity over driving out there. Also don't plan on doing much on Monday as most places are closed. We flew out late on a Monday and spent most of the day just shopping and looking in Museum windows.

Dude, Teotihuacan is awesome -- seriously, the day spent out there was literally life-changing for my son (he was 13 at the time - he's now completely into pre-columbian history and culture).  And take the bus.  We did (per advice on this board), and it was great.  Easy trip out, yeah, you got to see the real Mexico, which you should.  Then you have a flexible day out there, to see all that you want.  Leave the gates to have lunch, drink a cold coke.  Take the bus back.  It's a great day.

And of course, the excavations and displays at the templo mayor in the Zocalo is kick-ass as well.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Thanks, I think given the limited time (land Friday at 11am, fly out Monday at 2pm), we are going to do a few Zocalo sights on Friday, chill around Condesa/Roma and maybe the park on Saturday, then go down to Coyocan and the Frida Khalo museum on Sunday. I'll definitely keep the Basilica on the list in case we have some time on Sunday. I also wanted to do Teotihuacan, Lucha Libre, a bullfight, Xochimilco, etc., but I need time to unwind. 

41 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Dude, Teotihuacan is awesome -- seriously, the day spent out there was literally life-changing for my son (he was 13 at the time - he's now completely into pre-columbian history and culture).  And take the bus.  We did (per advice on this board), and it was great.  Easy trip out, yeah, you got to see the real Mexico, which you should.  Then you have a flexible day out there, to see all that you want.  Leave the gates to have lunch, drink a cold coke.  Take the bus back.  It's a great day.

And of course, the excavations and displays at the templo mayor in the Zocalo is kick-ass as well.

Don't get me wrong it is impressive, but I was there for just a quick trip and missed out on everything Chapultepec and some other things because we made the trek out there. The pyramids were cool, but a bit touristy. I thought seeing Ecatepec on the drive over plus the Basilica and Mercado San Juan that same day felt more authentic which is what I wanted out of that trip.

Edited by SimonBolivar

16 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

I wish I'd eaten the famous Tortas de chilaquil while I was there. Street cart in the Condesa neighborhood. The locals that worked at the hostel I stayed at shamed me for not going. And I'd wish I had not eaten so many tacos that when I walked around the business districts in CDMX I would've been hungry enough for a quesadilla with the blue corn tortillas.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BurdineBandit said:

I wish I'd eaten the famous Tortas de chilaquil while I was there. Street cart in the Condesa neighborhood. The locals that worked at the hostel I stayed at shamed me for not going. And I'd wish I had not eaten so many tacos that when I walked around the business districts in CDMX I would've been hungry enough for a quesadilla with the blue corn tortillas.

Thanks. The Tortas stand is on my list for Monday morning breakfast pre-departure. 

I was in CDMX last weekend and can confirm that it is still awesome. 

I really love the shutdown of the Paseo Reforma on Sundays for bike riding, running, etc. Feels like a million people are out exercising and enjoying the morning. The weather Sunday was as perfect as can be, was great to walk around that area. But instead of exercising I was eating churros. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, TornACL said:

I really love the shutdown of the Paseo Reforma on Sundays for bike riding, running, etc. Feels like a million people are out exercising and enjoying the morning. The weather Sunday was as perfect as can be, was great to walk around that area. But instead of exercising I was eating churros. 

That sounds dope as shit. I'd love to do a run on that strip.

1 hour ago, TornACL said:

Is this every Sunday?

I walked outside the hotel Sunday morning and heard some chanting and stuff happening at the Angel of Independence. I figured at first it was a protest of some sort, but then as I got a better view I saw it was a large exercise group, with the trainer shouting into a megaphone (Todo esta bien! Todo esta bien!) 

Indeed. 

I love Mexico City so much. 

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

On 2/11/2020 at 11:42 PM, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Cafe Tacobar is a cool little dive joint, just down the street from Contramar. 

And yeah Mexico City is badass.  Never had an inkling of going there in my decades in CA and TX, but now I'm across the ocean and want to go visit all the time

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...
1 hour ago, texasdago said:

Just talked to two people who went in the past month... loved it, still cheap, evvvverrryone masks.

We got the Gran Hotel Ciudad de Mexico on the Zocalo for $135 a night on Easter weekend. Absolutely absurd for a 5 star hotel in the best location in the country. We thought it was amazingly cheap at $220 in 2018.

Going to CDMX in mid-May, staying in a 2-bed, 2-bath high-rise in Hipodromo Condesa for $125 per night.  Hitting the National Museum of Anthropology, doing a taco tour with a fancy dinner Friday night at Pujol.  Maybe a Sunday trip to the pyramids.

Can wait!

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Matuka said:

Going to CDMX in mid-May, staying in a 2-bed, 2-bath high-rise in Hipodromo Condesa for $125 per night.  Hitting the National Museum of Anthropology, doing a taco tour with a fancy dinner Friday night at Pujol.  Maybe a Sunday trip to the pyramids.

Can wait!

Anthropology or Archeology? 

20 minutes ago, Matuka said:

Can wait!

That's my plan too, but I believe it is currently closed due to Covid. I'm sure Omicron will be long gone by May

21 hours ago, Matuka said:

Can wait!

I contend that's the best part of CDMX.  I love Parque Mexico and the vibe 

• Hook 'Em 1

I like my Mexican hotels simple and clean. A place I'd go back to in Mexico City is the Hotel Templo Mayor, just a few blocks from the Zocalo and smack-dab in all sorts of flea markets and stores. My artsy girlfriend at the time decided to roam the area in a mini-skirt and dragon-looking hooker boots, so I have the memory of seeing a chicken bone bounce off her ass as she bent over to tie a boot.

It was about $20 way back when, I see now that they have gouged the price to $32.

https://www.google.com/maps/@19.4363329,-99.1295838,3a,75y,203.54h,106.27t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1siHMMov1AE2vo0Y_uHZH9Zg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Not far away are book stores and a row of toy stores where you can get giant bags of plastic cavemen, spacemen, cowboys and Indians, whatever your plastic toy soldier kink is.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just got back from CDMX. Went down 3/22-3/26. Stayed in Polanco. Man what a amazingly clean well kept neighborhood. Police everywhere. Stayed at the JW Marriott. Went to futbol at Azteca- Mex v. USAMNT.
Took in tons of sights and taco stands.
Was nice being in a town of 30 million fellow mexicans. Traffic was crazy. Note Plaza Garibaldi (mariachi plaza) was a cluster and we were hounded by the hawks teying to get us to their apot. We walked around a bit and bailed. Lots of shady characters around.
Plan on heading back soon and to F1 in Oct.
Soy chilango.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1