Mexico City

SimonBolivar

28 minutes ago, staboner said:

Restaurant Recs needed

- How was Pujol's TornACL? Looks nice online. too fancy or was the food good and authentic?

- Any other recs for a a nice, local fixed menu kind of deal? No white table cloth style, more gastro pub / cocktail style, but of course open to any recs

I've done CDMX and tend to just hit up the bars in Zocalo and eat as I drink, but going with some friends and want to make a reservation for one semi nice splurge

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Now I'm dying for a tamarind margarita and black mole enchiladas from Azul. And that Nicoatole Zapoteco.

I'm drooling thinking about it.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Now I'm dying for a tamarind margarita and black mole enchiladas from Azul. And that Nicoatole Zapoteco.

I'm drooling thinking about it.

The hot thing in the city now seems to be replacing the salt on the rim of margaritas with mango lucas...so damn good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, staboner said:

Restaurant Recs needed

- How was Pujol's TornACL? Looks nice online. too fancy or was the food good and authentic?

- Any other recs for a a nice, local fixed menu kind of deal? No white table cloth style, more gastro pub / cocktail style, but of course open to any recs

I've done CDMX and tend to just hit up the bars in Zocalo and eat as I drink, but going with some friends and want to make a reservation for one semi nice splurge

Pujol was fucking awesome. I made the reservation in April for August and got one of the last seatings on a Saturday night. So be warned, plan well in advance. For as excellent as the food is, the atmosphere in the new building is classy but casual. Just walking in you realize that the place you're at is bad fucking ass. We stayed at the JW Marriott so the new Pujol location is a very easy walk from the hotel.

I didn't get any sense of stuffiness at all from any aspect of the meal or the service. In fact, we had some thunderstorms Saturday night that knocked the power out in the restaurant while we were dining. The staff and management handled it with not even a blip in the service and were cracking jokes about it. Lights came back on in a couple of minutes, no interruption to anything.

We had a party of 3 so we covered pretty much the entire menu. 4 of the 6 courses include options. Course 1 and 5 are the baby corn and the mole madre. The smoked baby corn was amazing. Other big winners were the sea bass, soft shell crab, and the ox tongue. By the time the mole came around, my mind had already pretty much been blown apart. It's also, of course, great, but among the 3 of us we each had a different favorite.

I'll throw a couple of pics up tonight.

• Like 4

Thanks SimonBolivvar, JS1 and Torn for your help

one quick question - anyone been around Day of the Dead? Thinking of postponing our late October trip to be Nov 1 to the 3rd. Day of the Dead is 31st to the 2nd. Not sure if its worth postponing it and if its a to do. 

And worried if it is a to do that shit will be closed. I've been during Xmas and everything is closed. Obv very different holidays, but curious if anyone has experience or opinions on traveling then?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, TornACL said:

Pujol was fucking awesome. I made the reservation in April for August and got one of the last seatings on a Saturday night. So be warned, plan well in advance. For as excellent as the food is, the atmosphere in the new building is classy but casual. Just walking in you realize that the place you're at is bad fucking ass. We stayed at the JW Marriott so the new Pujol location is a very easy walk from the hotel.

I didn't get any sense of stuffiness at all from any aspect of the meal or the service. In fact, we had some thunderstorms Saturday night that knocked the power out in the restaurant while we were dining. The staff and management handled it with not even a blip in the service and were cracking jokes about it. Lights came back on in a couple of minutes, no interruption to anything.

We had a party of 3 so we covered pretty much the entire menu. 4 of the 6 courses include options. Course 1 and 5 are the baby corn and the mole madre. The smoked baby corn was amazing. Other big winners were the sea bass, soft shell crab, and the ox tongue. By the time the mole came around, my mind had already pretty much been blown apart. It's also, of course, great, but among the 3 of us we each had a different favorite.

I'll throw a couple of pics up tonight.

what was drinks and food per head? $100 USD or more or less? thanks for the help man

• 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Any of y'all been to a game at Azteca?  Thinking of going... probably hire a driver to take us there and wait.

Didn't go to Azteca but Mrs. Laz and I caught Cruz Azul v. Tigres at the Estadio Azul last October.  It was allsome.  Ordering tickets was a little wonky.  Had to go through ticketmaster and buy tickets, then pay an additional fare when I picked the tickets up.  It wasn't much.  And I will save you the trouble we had trying to locate "la ventana de los boletos."  It's called "la taquilla" 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

I don't think you'd have any problems walking up and buying. America doesn't come close to selling out and usually has around 30K there and Cruz Azul is playing there this year and they'll have even fewer fans.

...and the game we're looking at is Cruz Azul so that's good to know.  

4 hours ago, texasdago said:

Any of y'all been to a game at Azteca?  Thinking of going... probably hire a driver to take us there and wait.

Yes went to USA vs Mexico last year. It was awesome. You will have no issue buying tickets for liga mx games 

Edited by Zepol87

What is that page?  I found an official Mexican government one.  Is that one government run?

Debating on what to do on this next trip... last one was spent in the centro, more time at Chapultupec, meal at La Hacienda de los Morales, food tour and a day trip to Tepotzlan.  This time I think we want to spend more time in San Angel and Coyoacan, maybe do the Cruz Azul game... not sure.  Looking at Tepotzotlan but can't tell how worthwhile it is.  Heard Nevado de Toluca is very cool but I wonder if I can get my family to do it.  This will be trip # 4 in 2 years so trying to come up with something unique.

More than I care to spend in Mexico City.  I heard its at least $100+ per person without drinks.

May not be your cup of tea but you need to get into Mexico City street food.

...and while not the best culinary experience, you can't go wrong with an old school chilango restaurant like San Angel Inn for Sunday brunch.

10 minutes ago, texasdago said:

More than I care to spend in Mexico City.  I heard its at least $100+ per person without drinks.

May not be your cup of tea but you need to get into Mexico City street food.

...and while not the best culinary experience, you can't go wrong with an old school chilango restaurant like San Angel Inn for Sunday brunch.

Hell yea!!! I just don't like the chilango accent.

Street food is where it is at. Mercado Roma is great also but not exactly street food. Just a big food hall with about 12 restaurants and a beer garden on the roof 

• Like 2

There's also a smaller food hall (really small) on Avenida Nuevo Leon in Condesa where you'll want to go in and take the stairs to Pasillo del Humo.  Excellent Oaxacan food.  https://twitter.com/pasillodehumo?lang=en  Next door is a place called Bonito which I like, too.  A little fancier in a building designed by Luis Barragan.

Came across this today - https://eatmexico.com/2018/05/why-visit-milpa-alta-a-day-in-mexico-citys-rural-flavor-rich-countryside/ 

Sounds really cool and worthwhile but cannot personally vouch for it.

2 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

$100 for 6 courses iirc

cheaper than Uchi

This is correct. Our total bill bumped up to $200 per person because we had a round of cocktails and two bottles of wine.

Expensive, and crazy expensive for Mexico City. But not expensive at all for a top 50 restaurant with booze.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

Hell yea!!! I just don't like the chilango accent.

Street food is where it is at. Mercado Roma is great also but not exactly street food. Just a big food hall with about 12 restaurants and a beer garden on the roof 

That place was the tits 

• Like 1

We land on a Thursday night at 6:00 or 6:30... something like that.  Not checking bags so thinking of where to eat that night.  Probably Condesa.  We'll have kids with us.  Tempted to do something like El Califa or El Tizoncito but we may save that for another night.  Need something easy.  Came across Moxie Tostaderia last time which was an easy going place.  Maybe Bonito or Azul Condesa (been to Azul Historico).   Too many freakin' options.

11 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Ok, looks like I am headed down too, but in November.  Going to fly out first thing November 2nd.  Then come back on November 5th.

Any recommendations on hotels or AirBnBs?  

Just now starting to put this together.

Everyone on here has their favorites. Ours is the Gran Hotel Ciudad De Mexico

92685f1d_z.jpg

It was in the movie Frieda and one of the recent Bond movies. They claim to have the 2nd oldest elevator in Mexico. 

gran-hotel-ciudad-de.jpg

Rooftop bar overlooking the Zocalo (mango margaritas are great, but eat elsewhere)

Gran-Hotel-Mexico-Deluxe-Doble.jpg

Rooms are spacious and modern. The location is right on the Zocalo (Historical Center of CDMX) and is 5km from Roma/Condessa and 8km from Polanco. I know a lot of people on here choose to stay in La Condessa.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Ok, looks like I am headed down too, but in November.  Going to fly out first thing November 2nd.  Then come back on November 5th.

Any recommendations on hotels or AirBnBs?  

Just now starting to put this together.

I always recommend La Condesa, I have stayed in Condesa and Reforma but much prefer Condesa.

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I am doing the Taco Omakase at Pujol on November 2nd.  So that is at least planned.  Would like to go out to the Pyramid of the Sun on Sunday AM.  Anyone have a favorite tour they use?  

We just hired a cab driver that had driven my in laws from the airport one time. He picked us up at 7AM at the hotel and he drove us around the entire day for what came out to around $15/hr iirc. He took us out to the pyramids, Basilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe (crazy cool on a Sunday), and the Mercado San Juan. It was much easier and faster than the tour buses. You can Uber out there, but supposedly reception can make it tricky to find a ride back.

1 hour ago, SimonBolivar said:

We just hired a cab driver that had driven my in laws from the airport one time. He picked us up at 7AM at the hotel and he drove us around the entire day for what came out to around $15/hr iirc. He took us out to the pyramids, Basilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe (crazy cool on a Sunday), and the Mercado San Juan. It was much easier and faster than the tour buses. You can Uber out there, but supposedly reception can make it tricky to find a ride back.

How easy is it to do this?

25 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

How easy is it to do this?

It's really easy with some basic Spanish. Our driver works evenings so he just slept in between driving us from place to place and was a cool guy. If you don't feel comfortable with that a hotel can arrange a private driver for you just like they do everywhere else. It'll be more expensive, but you have to remember how cheap everything is in CDMX compared to US/Europe so it'll still be much cheaper than what you're used to in France or Italy.

It's really easy with some basic Spanish. Our driver works evenings so he just slept in between driving us from place to place and was a cool guy. If you don't feel comfortable with that a hotel can arrange a private driver for you just like they do everywhere else. It'll be more expensive, but you have to remember how cheap everything is in CDMX compared to US/Europe so it'll still be much cheaper than what you're used to in France or Italy.
My Spanish is shit. I've been reading up, and it sounds like taking the bus out there is a viable option. Anyone done that? I am loathe to take a tour. Would much rather do it on my own, as it is my understanding that the tours dint spend nearly enough time amongst the ruins.

Also, what else are do not misses?