Mexico City

SimonBolivar

Posting some useful info from here: https://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2018/04/mexico-city-travel-tips.html

Mexico City travel tips

by  Tyler Cowen April 4, 2018 at 12:14 am in 

Here are my tips for Mexico City, taken from an email I sent to a friend a while ago, note I start with food but do not end there:

“1. Your number one task is to find a seller of tlacoyos in the street. This is likely a solo woman with a stand, on a corner. They are all over Mexico City, though whether in Condesa I am not sure. The vegetarian offerings are no worse, also, with beans and blue corn tortilla and cheese.  Get these, and they are in general quite sanitary.  You simply need to ask around, they will not be in highly visible places. I think about them often.

2. Ask for “tacqueria” rather than tacos, the latter might lead you into a restaurant.

2b. Most food in Condesa will be fine but underwhelming, think Clarendon. Try to find street food there.

3. The street food is the best food there and it is safer to eat than the restaurant food (though the latter is usually safe too).

4. Try a sandwich once or twice, just ask around, no need for a fancy place, these usually close by mid-afternoon. My favorite sandwich is the Hawaii, though I believe that is a purely subjective judgment, I do not think it is the best per se. The whole bakery culture there is quite interesting and often neglected by food people but it is important.

5. When you take a taxi out to the pyramids, there is excellent food along the way, in the middle of nowhere, have the driver stop and bring you somewhere. The pyramids are one of the best sights in this hemisphere, by the way, better than those in Egypt I think. There are also smaller pyramid sites on the way to the big pyramid site, worth visiting and also near some superb food.

6. Favorite fancy place there is Astrid and Gaston, not cheap but it won’t bankrupt you either.  Peruvian/Mexican fusion, nice to sit in too.

7. If you need a break from Mexican food, the Polish restaurants there are quite good, that would be my back up choice. Of Asian food the Japanese offerings might be the best. French and German can be quite good there, though not original.  Avoid “American.” Other Latin cuisines will in general be quite good there, including the steakhouses.

8. Go to Coyoacan (a suburb, sort of, but not far) and see the Frida Kahlo museum.  The food stalls (“comedores”) there are not only excellent, but they look the most sanitary and mainstream of just about any in Mexico. Even your aunt could be tempted to eat there. A good stop, try a whole bunch of things for $1.50 a piece, you could spend two hours there eating and not get bored and get to sample a lot of the main dishes.  Also a fun hangout.

9. When we flew into the airport, we immediately asked the taxi driver to bring us somewhere superb for a snack. Of course there was somewhere within five minutes, right nearby. Do this if you can open a line of communications.

9b. Walking is often the wrong way to find great food there, unless you are walking and asking. Walking and looking doesn’t work so well, because you are on the wrong streets if you are walking to just be walking around. Vehicles are the key, or asking and then walking to follow the advice, not to follow your walking instincts.

10. Chiles en Nogada is a seasonal dish, superb, I am not sure if they will still have it but ask around and get it if you can. It is delicious and a real treat, not to be forgotten.

11. Treat breakfast as a chance at some street food, don’t fill up on a traditional breakfast, least of all a touristy Mexican one. It will always be OK, but rarely interesting, even if it sounds somewhat authentic. Get a tlacoyo or something in the street. Any food represented by an Aztec word will be excellent, pretty much as a rule.

The non-food tips I will send separately. But the food is all about improvising, not about finding good restaurants. Most of the mid-tier restaurants are decent but for me ultimately a bit disappointing. Either go fancy or go street. Don’t trust any of the guidebook recommendations for mid-tier places, they will never be bad but mostly disappoint compared to the best stuff there.

Non-food

The Anthropology Museum is a must.

My personal favorite museum is Museo del Arte Popular, the popular art museum downtown, but I consider that an idiosyncratic preference.

Visit the Palacio de Bellas Artes and the murals there, and across the street House of Blue Tiles, get a juice there and see their murals too. Then walk from there down to the Zocalo on the main street, there is the number one walk in Mexico for a basic introduction to downtown. In fact that is the first thing I would do to get an overview of downtown and the older part of the city, even though that is not where you will end up hanging out.

The mural sites are in general excellent, I believe the best one is called Ildefonso.

I often find male clothes shopping there to be highly profitable, good mix of selection and prices. Polanco is the part of town you would go to for that, right near Pujol and also Astrid and Gaston, in fact.

Hotel Camino Real is a classic site, you can get a drink there at night with the funny colored lights. The movie Bring me the Head of Alfredo Garcia was shot there in part, a great film. The Mexico City movie is Amores Perros, a knockout. Y Tu Mama Tambien is another, you probably know these already. I also like the old Mexican movies of Luis Bunuel, made while he lived there for a while.

The classic Mexico novel is Roberto Bolano, *The Savage Detectives*, a great read and one of the best novels of the latter part of the 20th century, the English translation is first-rate too, as good as the Spanish in my view.

I don’t like much of the music, but perhaps that is the point.  Control Machete, a Mexican rap group, works pretty good as soundtrack while you are being driven around the city.

The Alan Riding book, while now badly out of date, is still an excellent overview of the older Mexico, great for background, Distant Neighbors it is called.

Have a cabbie drive you around different neighborhoods, to see rich homes, poorer sections, particular buildings. Mexico City is first-rate for contemporary architecture although most of it is quite scattered, no single place for walking around it that I know of.

Art galleries there are good for browsing, often in or near Polanco, the wealthy part of town.

Insurgentes is a good avenue for cruising.

Avoid Zona Rosa altogether at all costs, bad stuff, lots of pickpockets, no redeeming virtues whatsoever, do not be tempted.”

• Like 1

Thanks for starting up this thread again! We're headed down for our first visit the weekend before Memorial Day, then to Zihuatanejo for Memorial Day weekend. Lots of great information in the old threads and we're really looking forward to it. A bit farther from Seattle than from Texas, but flights are cheap and it sounds like a blast.

Thanks also for the informative post, FWD. Pos emojis for all!

• Like 1

Went last August with my wife, 16 year old son and his best friend and we loved it! Great stuff from FWD, here is what I got.

National Museum of Anthropology is world class and worth every minute you spend in there. Plan for several hours to see as much as you can because it is vast.

Palacio de Bellas Artes is beautiful and we were lucky enough to visit during a Picasso and Matisse exhibit where there were hundreds of their works on display. 

The Castillo de Chapultepec is worth a visit. The architecture and views are awesome. The artwork and other pieces are beautiful as well. 

The pyramids and grounds at Teotihuacan are awe inspiring. About an hour car ride, maybe 45 minutes from the historic center of Mexico City. We used Uber to get there. Very affordable.

The Metropolitan Cathedral is beautiful and right next to the Zocalo and the Presidential Palace (which is ok, not great). I'm not Catholic, but I felt like one when I was there. Very powerful place. 

For trinkets and souvenirs we loved the La Ciudadela Market. Prices and people were very nice. Clean, no yelling, and tons of stuff.

We used Uber for everything. Fast, friends and very affordable. 

That's all I got for now, if I think of anything else I will add it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Did a 3 day trip with the boy over spring break this year.  Here's some stuff from that other site about our trip:

Our day down in the Zocalo area:

Got up at a reasonable hour this morning (Teotihuacan is hard on the legs), and took an uber to the Zocalo (neither of us were hungry for breakfast, after the late-night tamales). I grabbed a cheap, shitty cup of hot coffee from a stand, and we headed right for the Templo Mayor. I had seen it once before, briefly, when in town for a friend's wedding 20 years ago. But we did the whole deal this time - paid our admission, walked the grounds, and did the museum. It's a FANTASTIC museum. Seriously, the happenstance and luck of the history found is amazing.

That took us till around lunchtime..and we were f'n hungry. Fortunately, there was a big Saturday fair/farmer's market at the Zocalo. We walked in...and immediately regretted the fact that we could only have one meal there. There was everything. I mean, everything. I got some good shots of much of the food, and what we had. I'll share those in a bit. We ate quite well. Then we wandered to shop a bit, because the womenfolk at home expect something. Picked up some embroidery and such, all is good. I got some mole mix (it was outstanding) for me.

Then, we went into the cathedral -- again, I'd been outside, but had never gone in. Holy shit. It's bigger and more ostentatious than most any European cathedral we've seen. But...everywhere I go, especially here, I light a candle for my grandmother. I'm positive that she worshiped there at least once. A candle, and a prayer -- seems like a grandson's duty.

We toyed with walking to another market, but mostly, we just wandered the streets around the Zocalo and soaked up sounds, sights, and smells. A great city has a pulse and energy and life, and CDMX is such a city. We walked past a jillion street vendors and storefronts, mostly selling the same cheap chinese shit you see in any big chinatown, or other urban center in many parts of the world. We stopped to rest at a little lunch stand, and each had a coke (the boy had a snickers for sustenance). And we watched the bustle go by. We talked about how this was still a vendor culture; countless folks still make their living selling...stuff, whatever it is. There's a family that makes a living operating a little storefront, selling socks and underwear. And there's another family that runs the taco stand next to it. At home, we talk about the death of retail, and what it will mean for future generations. Retail still has several generations of life in Mexico.

We walked some more, just checking it all out. By late afternoon, our feet had enough, and it was time to catch a cheap Uber back to the apartment. But not after one more visit to the feria in front of the zocalo. We tried a sample of some smoked cheese, and the boy had me buy a chunk. It's fanfuckingtastic. We're noshing on it now, but there's no way we'll finish it. I may wrap it and shove it in my computer bag, and see if I can get it home.

We'll kick back for a couple of hours, then dinner.

And otherwise, we did the anthropological museum and chapultapec castle (both are absolutely worth it -- the museum is one of my favorites in the world).  We did Teotihuacan -- we took the bus (not a tour bus, but the bus -- go to the northern bus station, and it's like $7 each, round trip, frequent buses run to and from the site).  That way, you can spend as much time at Teotihuacan as you want.  We spent 4-5 hours out there.  It's worth that much time, maybe more.  But it's definitely a "must-see" if you have the time at all.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Looking for some advice. We are going with another couple who will get there Friday night and we will get there Saturday morning (supposed to land at 10AM). We leave late Monday and the other couple leaves for Cancun early Monday. I'm more of Condesa/Chapultepec and chill type but we have been instructed that we MUST do Teotihuacan by the other couple. I'm guessing our main option will be to do 

Chapultepec for Saturday afternoon

La Condesa/Roma Saturday night

Teotihuacan Sunday

More La Condesa/Roma Sunday night

This will leave me and the lady in Mexico City on Monday with most the museums closed and looking for something to do until our flight at 6. Any suggestions?

+ rep. I'm going that weekend too, Saturday - Tuesday. It'll be my first time but the buddy I'm going with has been a few times so he's letting me handle itinerary. Sounds like I gotta do the Anthro museum, really want to take a day for Teotihuacan too. Seems like it'll be busy as shit but I'm extremely excited.

4 minutes ago, BurdineBandit said:

+ rep. I'm going that weekend too, Saturday - Tuesday. It'll be my first time but the buddy I'm going with has been a few times so he's letting me handle itinerary. Sounds like I gotta do the Anthro museum, really want to take a day for Teotihuacan too. Seems like it'll be busy as shit but I'm extremely excited.

Where are y'all staying at? We're going to be holed up at the Gran Hotel Ciudad de Mexico on the Zocalo. 

Love the damn city. I tell everyone to go to the  La Guera Torta de chilaquiles stand, it is amazing. There will be a line but it is worth it. 

Mercado Roma also has some pretty damn good food stalls in it as well

Chilaquiles address:

Alfonso Reyes 139, Hipódromo, 06100 Ciudad de México, CDMX, Mexico

la_guera.png

Edited by Zepol87

1 hour ago, SimonBolivar said:

Where are y'all staying at? We're going to be holed up at the Gran Hotel Ciudad de Mexico on the Zocalo. 

We're staying at a hostel in Roma. I'm a single dude just trying to see something new on the cheap.

Apparently the tacos and bars are right out the front door though so that's as convenient as can be for post-museum/site evenings.

9 minutes ago, BurdineBandit said:

We're staying at a hostel in Roma. I'm a single dude just trying to see something new on the cheap.

Apparently the tacos and bars are right out the front door though so that's as convenient as can be for post-museum/site evenings.

Gotcha, we definitely plan on hitting up the bar scene in Roma Saturday night. I want to make some reservations at restaurants but at the same time...tacos man.

• 3 weeks later...
I got outvoted and so we are going to spend a half day at Teotihuacan on Sunday. Tour starts at 2 and I think I'm going to have the guide pick us up at Chapultepec so we can at least see it this trip for a half day. That'd be one busy day.

It’ll be busy. But can be done. Be willing to stay at the pyramids till late. And bring cold water and sunscreen. Trust me.
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, BurdineBandit said:

Nice, think we're going bright & early Sunday or Monday. Brisket, opens at 8 or 9? if you remember....

I'm stoked. Never been. Kinda nervous because I hate being this brown and knowing so little Spanish, but also ready to feel my ancestry again...

Hah I'm nervous for the opposite reason. Blonde hair and blue eyes but I speak the language mostly. The 3 others I'm going with are la Raza and two are fluent in Espanol de Rancho so we're good. We're still looking for something to do Monday since all the museums are closed and the other couple flies to Cancun that morning. I was thinking just chill at a market (maybe San Juan?) for a bit then head to the airport in plenty of time for the 6PM flight.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here's our trip report for 5/26-5/28

41536914985_860c773dd6_b.jpg

Here's our hotel (Gran Hotel Ciudad de Mexico) which was fantastic with great service and an even better location. 

42388438292_1690b609b2_b.jpg

This was the view from our room. Not many views in the whole country are better than that one.

27569167217_6b9fa1c06c_b.jpg

From inside the National Palace. It's a much better attraction than I expected it to be and you could spend quite a few hours here.

41716136864_9a62cf97fe_b.jpg

Benito Juarez' death mask inside the National Palace.

41536916835_585986612c_b.jpg

Also on Saturday we went to the Torre Latinoamericana 

42388431052_abd26ac3a2_b.jpg

Sunday morning we woke up early and got to Teotihuacan around 8AM to beat the crowds up the pyramids

41536920885_669c8c2cc2_b.jpg

The poverty along the road from CDMX to Teotihuacan is pretty eye opening and the sheer number of people in such small areas is crazy to a Texan.

42439039721_ce80f22b54_b.jpg

On the way back from Teotihuacan we caught the tail end of mass at the Basilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe. Out of the thousands that were there I was probably one of 5-6 white people. I'm not Catholic, but I do like the hats.

27568937167_753eed119e_b.jpg

After the trip to Teotihuacan and the Basillica we stopped at the Mercado San Juan and the lady enjoyed a pulpo tostada that the woman thought was better than any seafood plate on Isla Mujeres.

27569588187_3cb7396a72_b.jpg

Monday we had some time before our flight left and we did a lot of shopping in the Historical Center

Overall the city is crazy and alive. We didn't have any troubles and the only "crime" that we saw was in Roma on Saturday night after dinner where some guy was being hauled from a bar by 3-4 cops kicking and screaming that they were going to kill him as the cops put him in a headlock and whisked him away. Next trip we'll be going to Chapultepec first since we didn't get a chance to make it this weekend.

We hired a cool taxi driver that charged us $280MX/hr to take us around town all day Sunday wherever we wanted (Teotihuacan included). Uber is the way to get around when you are staying in town when their prices are about $5-6 to go from the Zocalo down to Roma or La Condesa in the XL vehicles. 

Overall you can't beat the experience for a 2hr flight from DFW and $150.00/night at an elite hotel on the Zocalo. 

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Like 6

On 5/29/2018 at 4:02 PM, SimonBolivar said:

Here's our trip report for 5/26-5/28

Overall you can't beat the experience for a 2hr flight from DFW and $150.00/night at an elite hotel on the Zocalo. 

Great pics, my weekend was great as well. Did Zocalo and Teotihuacan and Chapultepec. You gotta make it out to chapultepec/the castle for those pics alone, the park is really nice, the history behind that memorial is pretty great as well. I came back with a deeper understanding/feeling of Mexican pride after visiting that memorial (of the Niños Héroes). You kinda start getting a clearer picture of where the deep pride and machismo comes from, everything that permeates throughout the culture, like even a love for boxing... Mexicans are fighters. I'd never been to Mexico further than a border town (and Cozumel), so seeing the rich history and modern daily life of CDMX was awesome.

I spent 2 and 1/2 hours at the Nat'l Anthropology Museum and only made it through maybe 55% of it. That thing is huge, but I could've done without the first room, it gets progressively better though, I had to leave as I was rushing through the time periods just before the Spanish invasion, those displays are great. If you're genuinely interested in history or even just the native peoples of Mexico, it will take about 4 hours to do it justice, so note that.

For the partying/socializing nights I stayed around the Roma/Condesa areas and both were pretty lively, had to do some searching for good Sunday/Monday night spots but eventually found both. Met people from a handful of different countries, Mexico City is a world-renowned place and has a great young-professional traveling scene. Great time. Hands down the most surprising part of my trip was youngsters/hipster 20-somethings and their style. I'd never been to a big city in Mexico, but the hipsters/college kids around Roma Norte were always dressed cool as shit. I was able to catch a DJ set (Toro y Moi, if anybody has heard of him) at a club on Saturday night, and I was just impressed with how stylish all the young folk were and how friendly as well.

Oh and the 4 tacos for $20 spot outside of my hostel was insane. It didn't hit me until I got home that a few of my lunches/late-night snack runs literally only cost me about a dollar. For 4 tacos. Insanely cheap. 6-pack of Indio at the OXXO corner-store was about $4.50. Roma and Condesa can be a bit more U.S. standard with their drink prices at the nicer places though (they are definitely more trendy/hip).

Definitely doing a foodie tour next time I visit, didn't get to do almost any of the places that were recommended to me. So much to do over 4 days.

Edit:

Oh, I agree completely about the poverty on the way to Teotihuacan, it looked like pictures I'd seen of Brazil there. Like favelas. But it's a big city, every city has the ghetto. We did a self-guided tour of teotihuacan when we got there and wound up walking around like half of the complex (where the stand-alone restaurants are), and that area also looked pretty run-down and rural. Dry/arid, concrete buildings, like it must always be hot as shit there. Dirt soccer fields. etc.

Edited by BurdineBandit
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Yeah I had a lot of bottled water (even the locals drink bottled), but I made the classic mistake of getting a coke with ice a couple times.

Yeah it ain't nothing to fuck with. My idiot friend ordered regular tap water at a pub after we were about 7 beers in. I had no idea, thought it was poured from a bottle. Drank it down. Fortunately the river didn't start flowing until after I got back to Texas. We would have had problems if it had struck me mid-flight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TornACL said:

Fortunately the river didn't start flowing until after I got back to Texas. 

I got lucky on that front too. I'm currently at a puke every night around midnight and waterass at 7AM, 5PM, & 10PM. Not too bad overall, but it makes me hungry as shit around 10AM.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I've been having the itch to go down there lately. I have a quick project in Dallas on Fri. September 28 that I could leave in the afternoon. But, I'd have to be back in NYC Sunday night. Is 48 hours enough or should I wait for an extended weekend? Only ever been to Cancun for our honeymoon. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

I've been having the itch to go down there lately. I have a quick project in Dallas on Fri. September 28 that I could leave in the afternoon. But, I'd have to be back in NYC Sunday night. Is 48 hours enough or should I wait for an extended weekend? Only ever been to Cancun for our honeymoon. 

48 hours is enough to get a good taste if you don't go out to the pyramids. Stay in the Zocalo, Condesa/Roma, & Chapultepec areas for a quick trip. Oh and Uber in Mexico City might be the best Uber in the world. Looking at my 3 day trip we paid $6.21, $5.30, & $4.20 for UberXL trips

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

You'll only get a taste, but it will be delicious.  I'd do it.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

48 hours is enough to get a good taste if you don't go out to the pyramids. Stay in the Zocalo, Condesa/Roma, & Chapultepec areas for a quick trip. Oh and Uber in Mexico City might be the best Uber in the world. Looking at my 3 day trip we paid $6.21, $5.30, & $4.20 for UberXL trips

yes this ^ 

just bought tix for October. will be there for 40 hours total. will be fine. you can get into the city fast and easy from the aeropuerto

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Yeah our first Uber in CDMX was from the airport to the JW Marriott in Polanco. I think it was about a 40 minute drive. We get into the lobby and my buddy looks at his phone "My fucking Uber was 5 bucks. This weekend is going to kick ass."

• Like 1

The pyramids sound kick ass. JetBlue doesn't start direct service to JFK until October 25 so I think I'm going to wait to burn those miles. Between work projects in Dallas, and getting our youngest settled into college, I'll have plenty of chances to go next year. I don't foresee heading back that way a lot like I do with Europe. I don't want to rush it. I've had 2 big trips this year and am out of vacation days that I could allocate to extend. Need a cheap "activity trip" to plan because Jamaica ain't going to do it for me and I'm bored with Europe.

Edited by Spankytoes
  • Like 1

I usually use Lyft, but CDMX only has Uber, so we used it a lot (and yes, ultra cheap).  As a result, probably half my Uber rides in my history are from CDMX.  And I have a mexican name.  So....as a result, my regular email updates and offers from Uber are based on my name, and my most frequent location.  I'm getting Uber-spammed en espanol now.  

• Like 1

On 8/9/2018 at 12:18 PM, TornACL said:

Yeah our first Uber in CDMX was from the airport to the JW Marriott in Polanco. I think it was about a 40 minute drive. We get into the lobby and my buddy looks at his phone "My fucking Uber was 5 bucks. This weekend is going to kick ass."

The buddy that I went with, who was on his 4th visit to CDMX didn't Uber when we got out of the Airport, and I didn't ask bc it was my first time there, he hails an *unmarked* cab that took us a few blocks before he handed us a menu of destinations that said a trip to Roma Norte was going to be like $40. Stupid idea. I realized my friend wasn't as smart nor experienced as he claimed at that moment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tokamak said:

Excellent thread. Never been, but it's right at the top of our list.

#1 food destination in the world right now? Seems like it might be.

It's certainly moving that way with of course the street food, but the top end options of Quintonil and Pujol are supposed to be spectacular.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, BurdineBandit said:

The buddy that I went with, who was on his 4th visit to CDMX didn't Uber when we got out of the Airport, and I didn't ask bc it was my first time there, he hails an *unmarked* cab that took us a few blocks before he handed us a menu of destinations that said a trip to Roma Norte was going to be like $40. Stupid idea. I realized my friend wasn't as smart nor experienced as he claimed at that moment.

I'm not 100% certain, but I think it is technically illegal to take an Uber from the airport. We hired a transfer to the hotel before leaving that was great and we got dropped off at the airport with Uber so I don't think they're that strict.

• Like 1

Restaurant Recs needed

- How was Pujol's TornACL? Looks nice online. too fancy or was the food good and authentic?

- Any other recs for a a nice, local fixed menu kind of deal? No white table cloth style, more gastro pub / cocktail style, but of course open to any recs

I've done CDMX and tend to just hit up the bars in Zocalo and eat as I drink, but going with some friends and want to make a reservation for one semi nice splurge

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 3:32 PM, mycox said:

Enter your terminal and door number and your Uber driver will find you.  They can't pick you up at every exit door though. Think it's door 2 or 3.

This. And it's totally fine.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

SIL/BIL went last year and felt just as safe as CDMX. They also left town to tour Tequila and felt fine there too. 

I have a friend from Juarez.  She says the same thing.  Always safe, never a big deal.  You'd think differently after watching Sicario though. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, staboner said:

Restaurant Recs needed

- How was Pujol's TornACL? Looks nice online. too fancy or was the food good and authentic?

- Any other recs for a a nice, local fixed menu kind of deal? No white table cloth style, more gastro pub / cocktail style, but of course open to any recs

I've done CDMX and tend to just hit up the bars in Zocalo and eat as I drink, but going with some friends and want to make a reservation for one semi nice splurge

We did La Tecla in Roma that fits your needs. It was really good, but expensive for CDMX. I had reservations, but we went early so it wasn't really necessary.

• Like 2