Emmanuel Acho

Rockethorn1978

50 minutes ago, MORRISSEY said:

yes yes yes

everyone loves acho when he is given pub but now he is dead to them

acho is very good on TV but part of that is keeping it real

good on him, I am sure the university will survive

just stops all the holier then thou shit

Nobody's brainless enough to think that essentially meaningless amounts of money aren't changing hands around this kind of stuff.

Look at what people in this thread are annoyed about - it's Acho's attention whoring, not the act itself.

• Like 1

i thought we all knew this already. i actually posted about this exact specific instance back on TOS. It was a certain former Thorpe Award winner who made the deal with the DBs and then paid up in the locker room. been going on at UT for ages. same as any other major program. i remember posting at the time about guys i knew getting envelopes of cash after we beat OU in 2009. i remember posting about how our entire starting secondary all had $3,000 worth of tattoos by their junior year despite not having jobs. I thought everyone everywhere knew all of this already.

• Like 4

i thought we all knew this already. i actually posted about this exact specific instance back on TOS. It was a certain former Thorpe Award winner who made the deal with the DBs and then paid up in the locker room. been going on at UT for ages. same as any other major program. i remember posting at the time about guys i knew getting envelopes of cash after we beat OU in 2009. i remember posting about how our entire starting secondary all had $3,000 worth of tattoos by their junior year despite not having jobs. I thought everyone everywhere knew all of this already.
It's one thing to post the shit on a message board as second hand information, but another to go on a national broadcast and say it as a former player who was there.

3 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

yeah I'm trying to imagine this:

a senior and sophomore both starting at corner

the senior graduates and goes on to the NFL

he's back in town for a big game the next fall

the now-junior cornerback has a great game, intercepts a pass

in the locker room afterwards the graduated player is like "well, how very nice for you, I hope you can afford a Whataburger to celebrate, I would give you $50 because we're friends and college kids are mostly cash poor while I'm a highly paid professional athlete but you know the NCAA doesn't like that so..."

• Haha 1

Just now, Bevo Num1 said:

Read more  

It's one thing to post the shit on a message board as second hand information, but another to go on a national broadcast and say it as a former player who was there.

fair enough. i just don't care, and in fact i encourage Acho and more like him to keep coming forward with stuff like this. the timing is right. nobody cares about this stuff anymore, and everyone (with half a brain) agrees that the players should be compensated. i have zero outrage for former players using their platform to say, "well someone needs to compensate these guys."

He thinks being a provocateur will get him a career, and he may be right. Skip, Stephen A., Max, Cowherd, the list is long. The networks want people with opinions. Reasoned takes don’t move the meter. The only guy I can think of who still has a job and is contemplative in his answers is Steve Young, and if you watch Steve Young, he’s boring and slow to answer: it’s because he’s actually trying to be honest and answer properly. His status has kept him on the air.

But poking the bear can come with consequences, and it could mean a lack of access, which is career suicide for someone who needs to be on the inside, like a journalist or analyst. Even the LHN association won’t help Acho if everyone thinks he’s an asshat. He may be in the meetings, but he won’t get the inside stuff if he can’t be trusted to keep his damned mouth shut. I’ve been a college football network producer, and have sat in the meetings with the head coach, coordinators and key players on Friday. I’ve heard a lot of shit, shit I’ll never reveal, because it’s just not done. Players should probably also keep their mouths shut. 

I’ve long been sick of his act, because it is an act. I want honesty in a commentator, but don’t need a grandstander. 

• Like 8

fair enough. i just don't care, and in fact i encourage Acho and more like him to keep coming forward with stuff like this. the timing is right. nobody cares about this stuff anymore, and everyone (with half a brain) agrees that the players should be compensated. i have zero outrage for former players using their platform to say, "well someone needs to compensate these guys."

Is that what he was doing? I could be wrong, but it doesn't seem like that's what he was doing.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

That's it...walk it back, EMAN

don't walk that shit back now bro. take a stand. i thought the homie Acho was getting on his Jay Bilas and just plainly stating how players currently get compensated, with a tacit understanding of how patently stupid it is that the kids make millions for their schools and get nothing in return. but now he's walking it back? weeeaaakkkkkkk af Acho. weak af.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

yeah I'm trying to imagine this:

a senior and sophomore both starting at corner

the senior graduates and goes on to the NFL

he's back in town for a big game the next fall

the now-junior cornerback has a great game, intercepts a pass

in the locker room afterwards the graduated player is like "well, how very nice for you, I hope you can afford a Whataburger to celebrate, I would give you $50 because we're friends and college kids are mostly cash poor while I'm a highly paid professional athlete but you know the NCAA doesn't like that so..."

NFL players rarely can go back to see their college team play since they have to, you know, work the next day.

Maybe once a year on an off week or if they play a Thursday night game. 

14 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

don't walk that shit back now bro. take a stand. i thought the homie Acho was getting on his Jay Bilas and just plainly stating how players currently get compensated, with a tacit understanding of how patently stupid it is that the kids make millions for their schools and get nothing in return. but now he's walking it back? weeeaaakkkkkkk af Acho. weak af.

Was he even telling the story to "take a stand"? 

Acho is a fucking idiot. full stop

Everyone in college football knows that $1,000 handshakes happen from Alumni. You literally can't police this because every single occurrence other than 1 isn't telivised on national TV. 

I hope Acho's career careens off into a bridge embankment. He's too stupid to exist. 

Acho may be a lot of things, but he isn't stupid.

I suspect that he's trying to out the payment of athletes in order to normalize it so that player compensation schemes become acceptable.

Then there's the whole "look at me" thing that's probably part and parcel of a broadcasting career.  Or can be.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Acho may be a lot of things, but he isn't stupid.

I suspect that he's trying to out the payment of athletes in order to normalize it so that player compensation schemes become acceptable.

Then there's the whole "look at me" thing that's probably part and parcel of a broadcasting career.  Or can be.

There is a different between book smart and street smart. In street smarts, Acho is retarded. 

• Like 2

As a media personality, I've never liked Acho pretty much ever. But the substance of what he's said here is somewhat overshadowed by the douchey sequined suit manner in which he presented it.

I never understood the angst over Chris Simms' "revelations" either. In neither case did the ex-player say the Texas program was paying players, just that they were getting cash under-the-counter from hangers-on. That has always happened, and always will, even if players were given full salaries instead of just stipends.

Duh.

It does raise an interesting question, though. Are there Longhorn media folk who are actually likable?  I mean, I am in a clear minority saying I like Simms as an analyst. I dig Brian Jones' schtick, too. He's mildly funny, and never over-the-top obnoxious. But Acho? 

GrandioseInexperiencedEastrussiancoursin

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

Now he's getting into it with Wescott Eberts.

THIS is why he is a bitch. You run your mouth on national television, get called out and wanna settle it on private email. Lol. Don’t run your mouth about something from 10 years ago that was meant to be left in the locker room. Fucking bitch. I hope he reads this. Be a man and take the heat if you’re gonna run your fucking mouth for laughs and attention. 

• Like 4

Look at me!  Look at me!

Regarding this tweet by Acho: so not wanting you (Acho)to take a steaming dump on your alma mater is being a hater?! Good to know.

So damn stupid. You’d have to be an idiot to think you could say something like that and not open up a shit storm.

all his dumb ass had to say was, "I played college football, and I heard about stuff like this. There's not a guy alive who played college football that hasn't heard of this kind of thing happening."

that establishes the credibility of "I played" without saying "and I saw firsthand my teammates breaking NCAA rules". 

• Like 1