Emmanuel Acho

Rockethorn1978

31 minutes ago, LW Goatman said:

I don't know whether I should like or hate Acho. Help me out here. 

He ratted out his teammates getting their palms greased at UT 10 years afterward so he could try and advance his career and get some media members to think he's cool, so it's really a tough call here. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Manny’s a lot of things, but I don’t think stupid is one of them, despite the fact that he tries real hard to make it seem like he’s stupid.

I can get behind that.  He seems well educated then spews this type of shit.  When smart people act like stupid people trying to sound smart…

6 minutes ago, TexasMan said:

He ratted out his teammates getting their palms greased at UT 10 years afterward so he could try and advance his career and get some media members to think he's cool, so it's really a tough call here. 

Especially if you’re a sooner…

16 hours ago, TexasMan said:

Fuck that guy.

• Hook 'Em 2

18 hours ago, LW Goatman said:

I don't know whether I should like or hate Acho. Help me out here. 

Neither.  Just ignore him.  He wants the hate.  He's the most uninteresting person in sports media or media in general.  The Kardashians are more interesting than Manny.

Edited by SizzleChest
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

I think I don’t dislike him, at least not as much as others but listening to him is tiresome. He always acts like he’s got everything figured out to the next level and he’s just breaking it down and simplifying for you so you can understand. Just the basics though because you aren’t ready to handle a fraction of what he knows. 
His pontificating in the Lincoln commercial is straight douchy.  

18 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

tweet deleted i'm guessing? anyone have a link/recap to what he said?

“Legalizing weed in track and field competition is all good if you’re running in a straight line. Legalizing weed in track and field competition is terribly dangerous if you throw the javelin. Where do we draw line.”

Le Batard's show made fun of him starting around 20:00 in. Legitimately thought the Javelin tweet was a joke.

6 hours ago, The Earl of Texas said:

I think actually he’s really smart, saw how Skip Bayless, Stephen A, bald dipshit from Alabama etc all cashed out by saying controversial shit very loudly so he followed their mode, and honestly, I think he’s on the verge of their similar payday.

Not only does it not take smarts to be loud, obnoxious, and controversial, it takes even less smarts to copy the guys doing it.

Why do you think this makes any of these guys smart? Shameless, brazen, and ambitious maybe.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Guess Skip Bayless wasn't available

https://news.utexas.edu/2022/03/10/emmanuel-acho-named-commencement-speaker-for-the-university-of-texas-at-austin/?utm_campaign=PRES_FY21-22_Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Eloqua

Spoiler

AUSTIN, Texas — A former Texas and NFL linebacker turned No. 1 New York Times bestselling author, Emmy-winning host and TV analyst is coming back to the Forty Acres. Emmanuel Acho will deliver the keynote address at The University of Texas at Austin’s 139th Spring Commencement on May 21.

After his football career at UT Austin, Acho played for the NFL’s Cleveland Browns and Philadelphia Eagles before becoming a TV analyst in 2016, now with Fox Sports. Acho has gained wide recognition for his advocacy work in recent years. His online video series, “Uncomfortable Conversations with a Black Man,” has been viewed more than 90 million times since its launch in June 2020 and earned him an Emmy Award in September 2021.

“Emmanuel Acho embodies the best of our university,” said UT Austin President Jay Hartzell. “He is a Longhorn who exemplifies impact through excellence, bravery, perseverance and resilience. The challenges and opportunities our graduates will face call for his valuable perspectives on the need for conversations with each other about difficult or uncomfortable issues, and how one can live in a world of possibility rather than a world of limits.”

A Dallas native and the son of Nigerian immigrants, Acho received a bachelor’s degree in sports management and a master’s in sports psychology from UT Austin. He will address a crowd that is expected to exceed 50,000 attendees, including about 12,000 graduates and their families during the 8 p.m. ceremony at Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium. The ceremony will celebrate students who graduated in August 2021, December 2021, and those who will graduate in May 2022.

“The opportunity to go back to DKR-Texas Memorial Stadium and speak to the graduates this spring is extremely gratifying, especially because it’s the 10-year anniversary of my graduation,” Acho said. “My time at The University of Texas, the people I met and the lessons learned shaped me into who I am today. My education there exposed me to new perspectives and gave me the confidence to confront challenges without fear and to initiate tough but necessary conversations and change.”

“Uncomfortable Conversations with a Black Man” has brought in an array of celebrity guests (including Matthew McConaughey, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, and Chip and Joanna Gaines) to discuss racial ignorance and racially insensitive societal issues. The series garnered widespread media attention and led to a publishing partnership with Oprah Winfrey for a three-book deal, beginning with “Uncomfortable Conversations with a Black Man,” which made the New York Times Bestseller list upon its release in November 2020. Acho’s second book, “Uncomfortable Conversations with a Black Boy,” a children’s book aimed at opening a dialogue on systemic racism, debuted at No. 1 on the New York Times Bestseller list in May 2021. His third book, “Illogical: Saying Yes to a Life Without Limits” will be released March 22.

Today, Acho co-hosts the Fox Sports talk show “Speak for Yourself,” which weaves together discussions on topics related to sports and politics. In 2021, he was recognized for his broadcasting work with a Sports Emmy for Best Emerging Talent. He is also a past Forbes 30 Under 30 honoree and maintains an active role in his family’s nonprofit Living Hope Christian Ministries, which provides medical care to rural communities in Nigeria.

The spring university-wide commencement ceremony, headlined by Acho’s address, takes place after all the school and college-specific convocations and is the culmination of commencement weekend. The ceremony will also include the conferring of degrees by the president, the traditional lighting of the Tower in orange to honor graduates, and a fireworks display.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/1/2021 at 2:40 AM, TexasTroll said:

If only Colin Rand Kaepernick  could read this. It’d fix err thang.

I saw him play in college and didn't know he was Black until he was washed up and tried to get attention by protesting the national anthem.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2021 at 5:26 PM, conVINCEd said:

Manny’s a lot of things, but I don’t think stupid is one of them, despite the fact that he tries real hard to make it seem like he’s stupid.

Wasn't he a 4.0 in the Business Honors Program?  Or was that his brother Sam?

Either way, he's pretty smart.

• 1 month later...
On 4/5/2022 at 1:09 PM, WBT said:

Guess Skip Bayless wasn't available

https://news.utexas.edu/2022/03/10/emmanuel-acho-named-commencement-speaker-for-the-university-of-texas-at-austin/?utm_campaign=PRES_FY21-22_Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Eloqua

Hide contents

AUSTIN, Texas — A former Texas and NFL linebacker turned No. 1 New York Times bestselling author, Emmy-winning host and TV analyst is coming back to the Forty Acres. Emmanuel Acho will deliver the keynote address at The University of Texas at Austin’s 139th Spring Commencement on May 21.

After his football career at UT Austin, Acho played for the NFL’s Cleveland Browns and Philadelphia Eagles before becoming a TV analyst in 2016, now with Fox Sports. Acho has gained wide recognition for his advocacy work in recent years. His online video series, “Uncomfortable Conversations with a Black Man,” has been viewed more than 90 million times since its launch in June 2020 and earned him an Emmy Award in September 2021.

“Emmanuel Acho embodies the best of our university,” said UT Austin President Jay Hartzell. “He is a Longhorn who exemplifies impact through excellence, bravery, perseverance and resilience. The challenges and opportunities our graduates will face call for his valuable perspectives on the need for conversations with each other about difficult or uncomfortable issues, and how one can live in a world of possibility rather than a world of limits.”

A Dallas native and the son of Nigerian immigrants, Acho received a bachelor’s degree in sports management and a master’s in sports psychology from UT Austin. He will address a crowd that is expected to exceed 50,000 attendees, including about 12,000 graduates and their families during the 8 p.m. ceremony at Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium. The ceremony will celebrate students who graduated in August 2021, December 2021, and those who will graduate in May 2022.

“The opportunity to go back to DKR-Texas Memorial Stadium and speak to the graduates this spring is extremely gratifying, especially because it’s the 10-year anniversary of my graduation,” Acho said. “My time at The University of Texas, the people I met and the lessons learned shaped me into who I am today. My education there exposed me to new perspectives and gave me the confidence to confront challenges without fear and to initiate tough but necessary conversations and change.”

“Uncomfortable Conversations with a Black Man” has brought in an array of celebrity guests (including Matthew McConaughey, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, and Chip and Joanna Gaines) to discuss racial ignorance and racially insensitive societal issues. The series garnered widespread media attention and led to a publishing partnership with Oprah Winfrey for a three-book deal, beginning with “Uncomfortable Conversations with a Black Man,” which made the New York Times Bestseller list upon its release in November 2020. Acho’s second book, “Uncomfortable Conversations with a Black Boy,” a children’s book aimed at opening a dialogue on systemic racism, debuted at No. 1 on the New York Times Bestseller list in May 2021. His third book, “Illogical: Saying Yes to a Life Without Limits” will be released March 22.

Today, Acho co-hosts the Fox Sports talk show “Speak for Yourself,” which weaves together discussions on topics related to sports and politics. In 2021, he was recognized for his broadcasting work with a Sports Emmy for Best Emerging Talent. He is also a past Forbes 30 Under 30 honoree and maintains an active role in his family’s nonprofit Living Hope Christian Ministries, which provides medical care to rural communities in Nigeria.

The spring university-wide commencement ceremony, headlined by Acho’s address, takes place after all the school and college-specific convocations and is the culmination of commencement weekend. The ceremony will also include the conferring of degrees by the president, the traditional lighting of the Tower in orange to honor graduates, and a fireworks display.

Any opinions on his speech? I cannot stand him, so I was not a fan.  My wife liked it.

it was entertaining. he made a few really interesting points, but it was a little bit too much of a speech celebrating himself. There were parts where he failed horribly at attempting to humble brag. the commencement speaker at the Plan II ceremony on the other hand taught a master class in commencement speeches. His speech is the best I have ever heard at a graduation.

• Hook 'Em 4

14 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

it was entertaining. he made a few really interesting points, but it was a little bit too much of a speech celebrating himself. There were parts where he failed horribly at attempting to humble brag. the commencement speaker at the Plan II ceremony on the other hand taught a master class in commencement speeches. His speech is the best I have ever heard at a graduation.

A little too much "I have the thing".

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't think he's very smart even if he is playing a character.  I think assuming he is has more to do with who his parents are and where he attended high school than anything that's ever come out of his mouth.

For instance, if he were smart he would go the Kanye route and become a conservative.  That's what I would do if I were in his shoes.

18 hours ago, Longhorn94 said:

Did not attend this year’s Plan II graduation but I was at the 2014 graduation for my daughter when McRaven spoke. His was a solid speech. A best ever for me.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Longhorn94 said:

it was a GREAT speech. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Friend of mine works at UT and had to work on Saturday cause yeah.  It sounded kind of hilarious. Like he was pushing his stupid fucking book and bragging about how he and Oprah are tight and whatnot. Can he just fuck off forever? He shits on the school that only offered him cause his brother was a beast every chance he gets. Loud, obnoxious, not as smart or cool or funny or interesting as he thinks he is. @ztejas after a 4 day bender and a few hits of meth would’ve been better than this self absorbed fuckwad 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Friend of mine works at UT and had to work on Saturday cause yeah.  It sounded kind of hilarious. Like he was pushing his stupid fucking book and bragging about how he and Oprah are tight and whatnot. Can he just fuck off forever? He shits on the school that only offered him cause his brother was a beast every chance he gets. Loud, obnoxious, not as smart or cool or funny or interesting as he thinks he is. @ztejas after a 4 day bender and a few hits of meth would’ve been better than this self absorbed fuckwad 

Embarassing.

• Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, Fletch said:

He is the one guy I wish we could just ship off to Sri Lanka and never hear from him again. An absolute self absorbed entitled twat. 

Edited by Vertigo

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

tldr: he basically said that as the son of Nigerian immigrants, he’s always felt somewhat removed from the generational trauma many African-Americans deal with and that’s why he’s usually felt comfortable around both white & black people.

Hes getting eviscerated by Twitter for it, with a lot of people telling him to go work for Fox or Daily Wire.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

tldr: he basically said that as the son of Nigerian immigrants, he’s always felt somewhat removed from the generational trauma many African-Americans deal with and that’s why he’s usually felt comfortable around both white & black people.
Hes getting eviscerated by Twitter for it, with a lot of people telling him to go work for Fox or Daily Wire.

I don’t feel like he’s wrong. That’s been mentioned here before.
  • Hook 'Em 3