Does anyone else wish they played the National Title game outdoors?

Goo Punch

I don't know why it bothers me that they play it in domes now, but my buddy and i were having a conversation about this during the game. The Rose Bowl, the Orange Bowl, hell, even DKR would be a great spot to host a title game. Something about the night sky in the background and the outdoor atmosphere that adds something to the game for me. Anybody else?

• Like 1

Sure, but it’s become a corporate sponsor event. They can’t control who makes it but they can damn sure control the elements. 

2022 game is in Indianapolis in January.  The average low price is 21 degrees and they average 8.6 inches of snow in January and is the month with the most snow. 

Would be a shitsnow 

13 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Sure, but it’s become a corporate sponsor event. They can’t control who makes it but they can damn sure control the elements. 

2022 game is in Indianapolis in January.  The average low price is 21 degrees and they average 8.6 inches of snow in January and is the month with the most snow. 

Would be a shitsnow 

If I recall correctly, the Indy super bowl was actually really fun for fans. Smaller city meant it took over and felt like a truly monster event, and the cold meant every bar was buzzing since people couldn't disperse outdoors.

It's in Miami next year. But mainly this is a function of the money needed to build a state-of-the-art stadium requires it to be usable 365 days a year which means it needs a roof. Places like Chicago or Philly aren't going to bid on CFP. They'd happily go back to the Rose Bowl but politically that group still doesn't want to overshadow Oregon-Wisconsin or whatever.

Side note, it's not an exaggeration to say there might be over 500 people on the sidelines NOT including players. ESPN mega cast stuff requires tons of people and also weather-sensitive equipment. Then you have security, photographers, cheer teams, officials and miscellaneous staffers. It would cause major disruption if the weather turned bad.

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

If I recall correctly, the Indy super bowl was actually really fun for fans. Smaller city meant it took over and felt like a truly monster event, and the cold meant every bar was buzzing since people couldn't disperse outdoors.

Sure. Imagine the game being outdoors in Indy though. First off, the SEC would revolt for weather alone. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Yes and no. I like the look of a game being played outside, but sometimes I just want to see the two best teams play with no other outside elements. No wind, no rain, etc. Just give me the two best teams in a controlled environment

I think this is a very good point as far as making "all things being equal". 

52 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I wish they still played the Final Four in basketball arenas 

Fucking this. It's god awful on so many levels. But all the NCAA cares about is more revenue and more seats equals more of that. Basketball is not meant to be played in huge football stadiums. The depth perception on tv and for the players is awful. I know people who went when they had the Sweet 16/Elite 8 at Cowboys Stadium in 2013 and they said it was a terrible experience. Basketball is meant for arenas, not stadiums.

While we are on that topic, can college football do away with all these neutral site games? I remember when only a few games every year had one. Texas/OU, Florida/Georgia, Army/Navy and maybe a few others. Now its constant. College football is all about the pageantry and the unique stadiums with the student sections. You put those games in these stale ass pro stadiums, all that goes away. Arky/aggy does not need to be at Cowboys Stadium. Tech/Baylor definitely does not need to be there. Home/home is where it needs to be but like NCAAB, it's all about the money. And remember when Tennessee played at fucking Bristol Motor Speedway? That was embarrassing.

• Like 4

I don't particularly care. I wouldn't like it to be indoors every year, and I wouldn't like my team to regularly play in a dome, but it's OK on occasion. Personally, I don't like the Super Dome, but it's as much of a sound issue as anything. I love playing OU in the Cotton Bowl. That's a great venue...but I probably wouldn't like it every week just because of the shitty things about it.

1 hour ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I wish they still played the Final Four in basketball arenas 

I was really close to the court last in Minnesota so it was fine for watching the games, but for the players, coaches, and any fans sitting above the lowest level  .... fuck that. Everything is thrown off from a regular basketball game when you play in a football stadium ... it should be stopped, but 72K people piled in an arena at $600+ .. not happening 

• Like 1

Football isnt meant to be played indoors, regardless of level or weather

Weather’s effect on games is one of the things that makes football the best sport in the world. And yes, id sit in dkr even if it were 33 degrees and monsooning. Or if its 105 and 100% humidity

fucking buncha boomer pussies on here. Indoor football is for pop warner

• Like 1

It should be on a Saturday night, because college football is a Saturday sport
(predominantly, until a MAC team makes the NC game and then it should be on a Tuesday or Wednesday for maximum MACtion)

Indy is a great place for the game - they have walking distance bars & restaurants , and a little snow isn't bad when playing indoors.

No way the corporate world wants to "host" an outdoor game that is a replay of 1979 Ice Bowl. It was bad enough at the 2014 Cotton Bowl at Jerrah's, with an ice storm and hard as hell to get there and get around in the D

• Like 3

Sofi Stadium will certainly host it in the next few years.  It's going to supplant Jerryworld as THE place to play high profile games.  It is liekly to blow every other stadium in the country out of the water.  Now it won't hold a candle to the traditional greats in terms of college football atmosphere, but from a straight stadium bells and whistles standpoint, it is going to be crazy.  At least it should be for what Kroenke's spending on it.

I guess it's already slated for 2023.  

4 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

Dkr isn't a good venue for OUR games much less the NC

maybe so, but Austin would be a dope location to host an NC game. everyone would have a blast, including the locals, so long as Ohio State and maybe a few other select fan bases aren't involved. if this year's game had been at DKR the scene would have been amazing. nobody parties like LSU fans, and those Clemson fans would probably be fun to party with too.