Power outage downtown

Celery Man

Per some jabroni on Reddit

This was the email we got at my agency:

DPS has been advised of a underground electrical fire at the intersection of 18th & Colorado Street. (behind Bob Bullock Museum). Colorado Street at 17th Street are closed. Traffic Is being rerouted. Please avoid the area. The road will be closed for approximately 4-8 hours. Austin Fire Department and repair crews are on scene. Updates will be sent when new information is received.

3 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

yeah, seriously, this. 

for me, personally, downtown is the big square formed by mlk, lamar, i35, and the river.

Yep, I could go with that.  I would also accept a boundary line at the north @ 15th street, but 15th to MLK is marginal difference imo. 

Central Austin, on the other hand, ends at 45th street. 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Yep, I could go with that.  I would also accept a boundary line at the north @ 15th street, but 15th to MLK is marginal difference imo. 

Waller’s original plat had 15th (North Avenue) as the northernmost boundary of the city. The next 4 streets up to 19th were added later.

Edited by Armybrat

36 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

yeah, and don't try to tell me that up at fucking 183 is fucking "midtown." that is ass far north austin, people 

17 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

yeah, and don't try to tell me that up at fucking 183 is fucking "midtown." that is ass far north austin, people 

Well, technically, a few years ago, the geographic "center" of Austin was something like the 5700 block of Burnet road.  As Austin has grown, what's defined as "central' has grown.

When I moved here in 88, I remember going to a buddy's house on 49th street and -- relative to the Austin I knew, which was downtown and campus area -- I though he was taking us to fucking Dallas.  Then, when my wife and I would wistfully look at houses on Sunday afternoons, I remember looking at one on Greenlawn in Allandale.  I remember telling her "I know it seems way out here, but this is probably where we could afford something."  A few years later, in 97, we bought right inside 2222 in Allandale.  When we sold in 2010, it was easily marketed as "central Austin," at most "near north Austin."  Now, we live in NW Hills.  Which has been "near north Austin" for a long time, but is starting to be included in a "Central Austin" that is huge -- basically between 35 and Mopac, and between 183 and Ben White.  Although that bulges in the middle, too, and crosses over 35 and Mopac the closer to downtown you are (e.g., Mueller is part of the new greater "central Austin").

Which seems really big compared to what Austin used to be.  But Austin ain't what it used to be.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Good thing the new downtown H-E-B isn't open yet, else it would have been closed.

Ya' see, that's all the way to Oltorf which is south Austin, so not really downtown. Downtown is Congress Avenue from the south entrance of The Capitol grounds to south First Street. I guess you could make a point that downtown extends west on 6th to The Capitol Theater and east on 6th to Koen's Jewelers, but then you start getting in to east Austin and west Austin so better just stick to Congress. From the bridge on it's south Austin. Then you get to the Old San Antonio Highway. The Capitol grounds north sort of dead ends in to The University, so north Austin gets a little hazy. I guess you could say Hyde Park is north Austin.  Help me out AB, you know this stuff. 

Edited by Not that Bob

8 hours ago, Not that Bob said:

Ya' see, that's all the way to Oltorf which is south Austin, so not really downtown. Downtown is Congress Avenue from the south entrance of The Capitol grounds to south First Street. I guess you could make a point that downtown extends west on 6th to The Capitol Theater and east on 6th to Koen's Jewelers, but then you start getting in to east Austin and west Austin so better just stick to Congress. From the bridge on it's south Austin. Then you get to the Old San Antonio Highway. The Capitol grounds north sort of dead ends in to The University, so north Austin gets a little hazy. I guess you could say Hyde Park is north Austin.  Help me out AB, you know this stuff. 

Hyde Park is the far north ‘burbs. Why did they shut down the light rail out there?