Dave Aranda Is Baylor's New Head Coach

Vic Mackey

13 minutes ago, Cajun said:

I did not see that coming.

Big get for the rapists.

LS&U falling apart at the seams.

Meh he could be an Bob Stoops or, more likely, a Strong/Muschamp/Ash/Diaz. 

Edited by Js1
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Be interesting to watch Aranda try and do it without Wisconsin/LSU level talent (the second obviously being vastly higher than the first but both being higher than Baylor)

If Briles and Rhule managed to do just fine without Wisconsin or LSU-level talent, why should it be out of the question for Aranda to do just as well?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

If Briles and Rhule managed to do just fine without Wisconsin or LSU-level talent, why should it be out of the question for Aranda to do just as well?

When Briles was at Baylor, they got damn good talent. Briles was not working with low level recruits like Rhule did.

21 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

That's a great hire by Baylor. 

Thought he could do better. 

Is it though? He’ been considered an elite DC for years and the only HC job he’s even been seriously considered for before this is UNLV.  Hiring a defensive-minded coordinator without any HC experience seems like a pretty iffy move to me. 

15 minutes ago, texifornia said:

High risk (never been a HC, I think he's supposed to be kind of a odd personality)

High reward (fucking smart dude, coming in with a lot of momentum)

EOb2_AkXkAMqVV_?format=jpg&name=small

It’s high risk, but I don’t think it’s very high reward, especially not if Ludwig is the OC. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

19 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Oh, he might flame out, but it’s still a big get compared to any other name I’ve heard mentioned for that spot.

That’s a splash hire for Waco fuckin’ Texas.

Just now, Cajun said:

Oh, he might flame out, but it’s still a big get compared to any other name I’ve heard mentioned for that spot.

That’s a splash hire for Waco fuckin’ Texas.

Huh? Aranda hasn’t been linked to any other high profile coaching gigs. He lost out on the UNLV job earlier this cycle. Both Fuentes and Napier would’ve been bigger hires for them.

Maybe it’s the PTSD from Charlie but hiring a DC sounds risky. 
Charlie, Muschamp, some more I can't currently think of as I'm half listening to a work call.

Biggest red flag is selecting awful OC's. Look at Charlie and Muschamp. Their failure was ensured from the moment they hired their offensive staff.

14 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Huh? Aranda hasn’t been linked to any other high profile coaching gigs. He lost out on the UNLV job earlier this cycle. Both Fuentes and Napier would’ve been bigger hires for them.

Completely disagree.

But, hey, opinions are like assholes....

2 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Charlie, Muschamp, some more I can't currently think of as I'm half listening to a work call.

Biggest red flag is selecting awful OC's. Look at Charlie and Muschamp. Their failure was ensured from the moment they hired their offensive staff.

Andy Ludwig come on down!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Manny _iaz 

Chris Ash

Durkin 

Odom

Is the only recent success Kirby Smart? 

4 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Chizik's the one off the top of my head who had some success.

I mean as far as trophy room goes.

Edited by Cajun

2 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Is hiring the guy that Texas just shut down and who has been an offensive coordinator for 23 seasons without ever getting a head coaching gig a bad sign?

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Really, really weird. Diaz was probably the worst of that group as a DC. But the jury is still out -- he may turn out better than those other suckers as a head coach. (Pro tip:  Don't bet on such a ridiculous proposition. Even if you win, you'll feel dirty afterwards.)

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Aranda has been actively trying to get a head coaching gig the last 2 coaching cycles. I've read a few places that Aranda is a very unique personality so I wonder if that's played a role in not being able to get a better gig.