Dave Aranda Is Baylor's New Head Coach

Vic Mackey

12 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

Not an original thought, but great assistant coaches don’t always make great (or even good) head coaches. Snagging a high profile guy from the new champs looks good, we’ll see how it plays out. And it often starts with hiring the wrong staff.

Yep, it's a splash, but not necessarily a future success.

26 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

Not an original thought, but great assistant coaches don’t always make great (or even good) head coaches. Snagging a high profile guy from the new champs looks good, we’ll see how it plays out. And it often starts with hiring the wrong staff.

Yeah. If you're going to hire a coordinator from a championship program, you should wait until they have, oh, I don't know, let's say, two years under their belt as a HC at an American Conference school. Oh, wait...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Excluding internal hires (like Riley) who was the last coordinator/position coach hired in the Big 12 that had success with zero experience as a head coach? 

The first few names that come to mind are Ron Prince, Beaty, Kingsbury and Paul Rhoads. All of those guys were fired. 

To the Big 12's credit it seems like they normally hire coaches with head coaching experience. Bob Stoops was the last coordinator hired that had success (external hire that is)?  

Edited by texasstrong12

Yeah uh, can aranda stop big 12 offenses on the reg? I think he will be a decent hire at first, but baylor could have done a lot better... and a lot worse. Im gruntled by this hire, as its not as good as I thought baylor would do, AND it weakens LSU next season

chargrilled oysters at Mansours on Sept 12 on me!

JFC , we  need to beat their ass before we prognosticate upon the future for other schools, just sayin’.

Regular season 7-5 isn’t something to stick our chest out about IMO.

We need to just STFU and take care of business for a while. We haven’t done anything of significance in a while.

Edited by El Squared
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Chad said:

The wheels fell off the LSU wagon in one hell of a hurry. Ogre will be back to looking like the Ogre once again, they don't play Troy in 2020.....do they?

They beat 5 top 10 teams... and multiple conference/ division winners.  Of all the SEC scheduling horseshit; LSU is hardly guilty of cream puffing its way to the title. 

23 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

It’s effing Baylor. It’s a great hire for them and he will likely have success. Will this be the second time Baylor out-decides Texas for a better head coach?

It might end up being a great hire but they hired a coordinator with zero head coaching experience. It's a huge risk and nobody really has a clue how it will turn out.

People are also drastically overrating Rhule's tenure at Baylor. I know it was a rebuild and Rhule did some great things. He also went 19-20 at Baylor with a losing record in the Big 12. Baylor's roster is in complete rebuild mode again and it's just as likely Rhule's year 4 was going to be similar to year 1 and 2. People talk about Rhule like he stacked 3 or 4 good seasons at Baylor. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Iceman said:

They beat 5 top 10 teams... and multiple conference/ division winners.  Of all the SEC scheduling horseshit; LSU is hardly guilty of cream puffing its way to the title. 

Who the fuck said anything about a cream puff schedule? The point I was trying to convey is that without Brady/Aranda and losing a heap of key players LSU will once again return to being a 9 win team under the Ogre. I mentioned Troy that team from the Sun Belt because several years ago they fucking beat LSU in Baton Rogue.

• Like 1