USMNT 2020

Napoleon

3 hours ago, Napoleon said:

If he does, I'm starting to wonder where we play him along with Weston McKennie, Tyler Adams, and Gio Reyna. For me, Weston is a player without a defined position. I feel like his "box-to-box" is a box that covers the entire field. From corner-to-corner-to-corner-to-corner... and I'm not sure if that's really want you want out of any of your players. Oh well, I'm not the manager. Hopefully he's learning from Pirlo and continues to play... preferably in a specific role rather than switching roles on a weekly basis.

Its going to be a challenge.  Maybe something like this where Musah has a more defined role on the outside (similar to his club):  

--- Sargent ---

Puli ------- Reyna ------- Musah

---- Adams ---- McKennie ---

Dest -- Brooks -- Richards -- Cannon 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Ollie Slatt said:

Its going to be a challenge.  Maybe something like this where Musah has a more defined role on the outside (similar to his club):  

--- Sargent ---

Puli ------- Reyna ------- Musah

---- Adams ---- McKennie ---

Dest -- Brooks -- Richards -- Cannon 

I like that lineup, but can't see Berhalter leaving out MLS "studs"...

Unfortunately, I can't see a healthy Jordan Morris not making the starting XI with Gyasi or Jozy up top when it goes to the full selection. I'm not sure whether there is an agreed upon, but unwritten, rule that a few MLS players have to start every international game that they are available, but I would think so. Mexico always has domestics, Brazil frequently has domestics, and even Argentina usually has one or two domestic players start each match to promote their leagues.

As for Musah, I got a Paul Pogba vibe, but with a little more youthful exuberance and desire for some trickeration[sic] when watching him this past window. I've never seen him play anytime other than this window, so I wasn't imagining him out on the wing. I only was thinking of him mixing stuff up in the middle.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Napoleon said:

The game tonight, featuring MLS players from crappy teams, is on...

Don't forget about Sebastian Soto.  Apparently he got a red and got suspended for two games so he decided to jump on a plane and join the USMNT camp.  Also why didn't they call up Johnny Cardoso?

3 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Same. 

I must have seen EASTERN time and not realized it. FURK!!

I did the same damn thing.  I wonder if the listings were wrong.  I could have sworn it was 8:30 EST.  I happened to flip it on at 6:50 and it was already 30 mins in.  

Edited by Knoxtnhorn

10 hours ago, shnsajax said:

This, but Mueller does look sharp.

He had 2 goals and 2 assists...

...from what I could tell from watching the replays, but he's only listed as having 1 assist.

Either way, he seemed a little Taylor Twellman-ish from the short but physical striker (though I think that he wasn't technically the striker) willing to put his head on the all and with two taped wrists. (I seem to recall that Twellman taped his wrists, but I could be wrong.)

I was surprised to see that he was already 24. I kind of expect that the first time I hear of a player, they should be 22 or younger. 

On 12/9/2020 at 7:08 PM, Jive Turkey said:

just turned it on.  we're up 5-0 after 29 minutes.  wtf?

i left the UT hoops game at the U8 TO of the 2H and hit up my DVR of the USMNT game. I decided that i would ffwd at least the 1H just to save time, and when it minute 20-something and we were up 4-0 i had to stop, rewind, and watch. that shit was insane. 

also, shouts out to Mueller, the debutant- dude really looked the part from what i watched. he looked like he expected to do everything that he did. i like seeing that. 

On 12/7/2020 at 7:36 AM, Napoleon said:

Weston is a player without a defined position. I feel like his "box-to-box" is a box that covers the entire field. From corner-to-corner-to-corner-to-corner... and I'm not sure if that's really want you want out of any of your players. Oh well, I'm not the manager. Hopefully he's learning from Pirlo and continues to play... preferably in a specific role rather than switching roles on a weekly basis.

3 hours ago, shnsajax said:

Ledezma tore his acl in Europa yesterday for PSV. 

In 2002, Frankie Hejduk had an opportunity to replace a sidelined David Regis at left back, and held on to the role through the World Cup in Korea that summer.  Roster and program construction is a 4-year process building up to 3 games in as little at 7 days depending on the draw.  An injury in the first group match can wreak havoc on your strategy and deployment for the remainder of the group stage and beyond.

A true Full International (TM Jack Edwards) program is prepared for this with multiple players who can play anywhere on the pitch at any time given need and opponent and it is one of the reasons the 2002 program with a razor-thin talent pool was 1 of the 3 "achieving" US World Cup campaigns (1930, 2002, 2014).

Speaking of 2002, Chris Mueller's flying header evokes the memory of the moment when the US National Team stood on top of the mountain and stopped traffic in europe, at 0439am central time, 5 June, 2002.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hagbard Celine said:

oh yes, forgot to add, that pic is worth €100m to the valuation of all us players in europe

Juventus is already looking at another FC Dallas player (can't remember which one), so they must like that photo.

It would be nice if he had a position that allowed other players to know where he is before looking.

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

Juventus is already looking at another FC Dallas player (can't remember which one), so they must like that photo.

It would be nice if he had a position that allowed other players to know where he is before looking.

Bryan Reynolds

https://www.transfermarkt.us/bryan-reynolds/profil/spieler/475208

4 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

I think he ends up selling for a bit more the 2 mill tbh.  I'm happy the MLS is beginning to become a selling league.  I think the reasonable prices of the players though is really helping them.  the Liga MX keeps on trying to overcharge european clubs for players and I think it will end up being a detriment to their NT.  

as long as the league stays single-entity, mls will never achieve that to which it aspires and has claimed was it's goal, which was?/is? to become one of the top leagues on the planet.

95% of the talent moving to europe is doing so before said talent ever plays first-team minute-1.

but i am more than happy to see that talent flee over the ocean to the detriment of mls, because it makes the national team a viable proposition.

• Hook 'Em 4

8 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

Gio > Sancho. Seriously he might be our first $100 million American transfer.

Ho. Lee. Shit. Doesn't get more world class than that. 

The only way he isn't our first 9 figure is if Pulisic goes somewhere before he does. But I'm not sure Puli's price-tag would be that high anymore given the health concerns.