Titans @ Chiefs: AFC Championship Game

Vic Mackey

I was a kid when KC went to 2 of the first 4 Super Bowls. I expected they would have a few more along the way. Gotdam never thought it would take this fucking long to get back to another. When Kelce first arrived I thought he was a me-first jerk with a lot of talent. I can't remember a player that has done a similar job of becoming an outstanding teammate. Mahomes has had a lot to do with that but Andy is a wizard.

4 hours ago, Deej said:

Happens with any team sniffing a title.

I don't know.  Of course the level of "fanmanship" rises when teams do well.  Most people in Dallas will tell you they're Cowboy fans.  They may wear more gear or say as much when the team is doing well, but they will still identify as fans through the lean years.

In my own small sample size (East TN), I knew exactly two Titan fans.  Coincidentally, both female.  Suddenly, everyone in the area on my FB feed began to claim themselves as Titan fans just about 2 weeks ago.  

21 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I don't know.  Of course the level of "fanmanship" rises when teams do well.  Most people in Dallas will tell you they're Cowboy fans.  They may wear more gear or say as much when the team is doing well, but they will still identify as fans through the lean years.

In my own small sample size (East TN), I knew exactly two Titan fans.  Coincidentally, both female.  Suddenly, everyone in the area on my FB feed began to claim themselves as Titan fans just about 2 weeks ago.  

That's just because people from Tennessee are cunts

KC has great fans, and in fact their fans were part of the reason i hopped all the way onto the KC bandwagon once Jeff Fisher had sufficiently sabotaged his entire organization in Tennessee. Those who have been here long enough remember my old KC threads back when Todd Haley and Romeo Crennel were finding new and innovative ways to minimize Jamaal Charles' impact on the game. Fun times. Still, even though the team sucked and the weather was awful, their fans sold it out every single time and backed their team loudly and proudly. KC really does have some of the best fans in American sports, at least as far as the Chiefs (and the USMNT) goes.

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

So, I wonder if Clark Hunt's success will aggravate Jerrah.

Don't know about that but I assure you it aggravates Lamar Jr.

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

KC has great fans, and in fact their fans were part of the reason i hopped all the way onto the KC bandwagon once Jeff Fisher had sufficiently sabotaged his entire organization in Tennessee. Those who have been here long enough remember my old KC threads back when Todd Haley and Romeo Crennel were finding new and innovative ways to minimize Jamaal Charles' impact on the game. Fun times. Still, even though the team sucked and the weather was awful, their fans sold it out every single time and backed their team loudly and proudly. KC really does have some of the best fans in American sports, at least as far as the Chiefs (and the USMNT) goes.

I just remember a whole lot of bitchin'.  Have you ever even been to a KC game?  I've been to no less than 30, the fans are fucking terrible, especially to opposing team fans, but where is it not that way in the NFL.  KC fans will show up, especially here since its "Kansas City".  Dumb fucks too stupid to realize it's a fucking Mizery team.  Not a fan, never was, never will be.

25 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Parcells, right?  Or did Pete Carroll take the Pats against the Pack when Favre got his ring?

Nice call, yeah he took the Giants and Pats.  Also means no coach ever won one in both, and still won't.

Edited by mulletpelini

15 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

You completely forgot to mention Priest, he was the main reason we had a pulse in the 2000's, then Jamaal took the reins and kept us relevant.

Mahomes is a once in a generation player. We finally have a franchise quarterback and the ghosts of Deberg, Bono, Grbac, Gannon, Trent Green, Cassell can no longer haunt our playoff woes.

Coach Reid has easily moved himself as the second best coach in team history and has bumped down that choking ass Schottenheimer down the list and buried all our playoff ass kickings we took in the 90's.

15 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

Don't know about that but I assure you it aggravates Lamar Jr.

I just remember a whole lot of bitchin'.  Have you ever even been to a KC game?  I've been to no less than 30, the fans are fucking terrible, especially to opposing team fans, but where is it not that way in the NFL.  KC fans will show up, especially here since its "Kansas City".  Dumb fucks too stupid to realize it's a fucking Mizery team.  Not a fan, never was, never will be.

Nice call, yeah he took the Giants and Pats.  Also means no coach ever won one in both, and still won't.

Naw bruh......Chiefs fans only are only terrible to Broncos and Raiders fans. But every fan base has shitheads. Unless your Aggy, where life is grand and classy and we all can't wait to go back.

Or it could be that people just don't like your goofy ass.

Edited by SA-KC_Horn
  • Like 1

On 1/18/2020 at 10:58 AM, Hagbard Celine said:

i wrote this at the end of the day on the titians/blackbirds thread...

++++++++++

Derrick Henry carries a wallet that says Badass Mother Fucker.

You're goddamn right.

All the rest of this day-after armchair blah-blah means fuckall.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/rush_yds_single_game_playoffs.htm

The list of names that have a Top 20 All-Time Postseason performance is informative.

In the pregame segment for Tennessee/Baltimore, Phil Simms said Henry reminds him of Jim Brown.  Brown only had 4 postseason appearances, but never came close to making the Top 20, much less breaking the 150-yard post-season barrier.  Emmitt, the all-time career postseason yardage leader, never broke 150 yards in the playoffs, which is the line for this list (with 51 total occurrences in NFL history).  Only 2 players appear twice on the Top 20 list.  Terrell Davis did it for the Broncos in 97 and 99.  He also has 2 other appearances on the list, for 4 total, twice as many as everyone else, with the exception of Henry.  A quick search shows 3 or 4 others with 2 appearances on the overall list.   So approximately 80% of the players on this list broke 150 yards one time.  Once.

The only other player that appears more than twice in the ALL-TIME Top 20 list for ground yards in a playoff game...

..... just put up his 2nd & 3rd performances in BACK TO BACK GAMES.

He is also tied for #46 on the list, having shredded KC for 156 yards 2 years ago, for a current total of 3 postseason games with 150+ yards.

Derrick Henry.

The Ent.

+++++++++++++++++++

6 days later i'm looking at that -7 line, KC's #29 rank vs. the run this year, the fact that Henry has already busted up KC in the playoffs 2 years ago, Reid's record and history when he gets to this stage, and the fact that Tannehill's wife's sledfeet and reptile metatarsils have basically no connection to Henry's all-universe performances in these playoffs, and i'm saying to myself if i were a betting man no fucking wai would i put money on this game.

the Chefs have always been my #2.  but no one has shut down The Ent in these playoffs, and until they do, they haven't.

Tennessee had a true Cinderella run, but they were bound to come down to earth. Frank Clark was right, Henry is not that hard to tackle. KC showed this holding him to just 61 yards on 22 carries which is closer to Henry's career average then the past couple of games which were complete outliers. 

Without Henry playing out of his mind the rest of the team, Tannehill especially, looked pretty much average.

10 hours ago, SA-KC_Horn said:

Naw bruh......Chiefs fans only are only terrible to Broncos and Raiders fans. But every fan base has shitheads. Unless your Aggy, where life is grand and classy and we all can't wait to go back.

Or it could be that people just don't like your goofy ass.

Simply not true.  Seen Miami play there half a dozen times, got the same shitty treatment every time.  I've gotten along with KC people without issue, they just become fanatics at the game, no different than anywhere else.

7 hours ago, FWD said:

Tennessee had a true Cinderella run, but they were bound to come down to earth. Frank Clark was right, Henry is not that hard to tackle. KC showed this holding him to just 61 yards on 22 carries which is closer to Henry's career average then the past couple of games which were complete outliers. 

Without Henry playing out of his mind the rest of the team, Tannehill especially, looked pretty much average.

4 carries in the second half, the time of the game when he's been most damaging to the opposing defenses, isn't exactly hard to tackle.

8 hours ago, FWD said:

yup, kc shut him down.  didn't think they could do it.  they did.   forza chefs.

9 hours ago, FWD said:

You're talking out of your ass. The lowest Henry has averaged in his career was 4.2 YPC, overall he's slightly below 5 YPC on his career. The last two season's he's evolved into one of the best running backs in the NFL. 28 TD and 2,600 yards for 5 YPC in that span. If he wasn't hard to tackle why'd he run for nearly 200 yards against KC in the first meeting? The only reason Henry was a non factor in the second half was because KC pulled off a time consuming drive of their own, that's when Henry does his most damage.

This illustrates quite nicely the difference in value between an "elite" RB and an "elite" QB.  Keep in mind the difference would be even more stark if Tannehill was given more opportunities.

spacer.png

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-derrick-henry-ryan-tannehill-titans-future-2020

The difference between an elite RB and a replacement level RB is a fraction of a win whereas the difference between an elite RB and a replacement level QB is several wins.  

11 hours ago, Chad said:

You're talking out of your ass. The lowest Henry has averaged in his career was 4.2 YPC, overall he's slightly below 5 YPC on his career. The last two season's he's evolved into one of the best running backs in the NFL. 28 TD and 2,600 yards for 5 YPC in that span. If he wasn't hard to tackle why'd he run for nearly 200 yards against KC in the first meeting? The only reason Henry was a non factor in the second half was because KC pulled off a time consuming drive of their own, that's when Henry does his most damage.

He has "evolved into the one of the best RBs" because his offensive line and scheme have improved. The Titans o-line plays extremely well and open up huge running lanes. When Henry gets into the 2nd level of the defense he is very hard to bring down, but if you can get to him near the line of scrimmage he is a below average back. KC showed that if you adjust the defensive scheme to commit to getting to him early he is nothing special. 

Tennessee's real problem is that this cinderella run may cost them in the long-term. Both Henry and Tannehill are free agents, and this late season run could pressure them into signing both with big contracts. In that case, I doubt we will see the Titans in the playoffs anytime soon.