Let's talk election security and fraud

Longhorn_Fan68

The GOP couldn't care less about fair elections and democracy. And to think of all the lives lost in brave defense of it by patriotic Americans of all stripes. It's enraging and sickening.

Interested to hear from those who have volunteered as election monitors because I'm considering signing up. Regrettably so much of the ratfuckery is invisible with the proliferation of electronic machines without paper trails. Feature, not bug etc.

• Hook 'Em 1

I voted in a special election last week and the volunteers, while quite nice, didn't seem to have a grasp of how the equipment worked. I am the least tech savvy person in the family, but the volunteers seemed incredibly worried about people voting with fake credentials voting and lauded the Texas voter id law. Our voter percentages for our county are very low but rather than point that out, I asked about the machines.

They were quite happy to show me how they have to keep them locked up, etc and how safe it is. So when I asked about how the machines are tallied, software exposure back at the county, and auditing they didn't seem concerned. We keep these machines under lock and key! I think there is something about switching from the paper to the electronic devices that has them confused. Maybe I should consider volunteering for that as well.

Edit to add-I was very polite when speaking with the volunteers, because they devote a lot of time to this. I was mostly trying to learn about their system since they had gotten some new machines since the last election and switched to the touch pad types.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
Addition

1 hour ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

The GOP couldn't care less about fair elections and democracy. And to think of all the lives lost in brave defense of it by patriotic Americans of all stripes. It's enraging and sickening.

Interested to hear from those who have volunteered as election monitors because I'm considering signing up. Regrettably so much of the ratfuckery is invisible with the proliferation of electronic machines without paper trails. Feature, not bug etc.

The GOP won't give a shit until Trump and the GOP gets their asses kicked this November.  Then they will furrow their brows and demand an investigation of every voting machine in every district or state that went D.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

The GOP won't give a shit until Trump and the GOP gets their asses kicked this November.  Then they will furrow their brows and demand an investigation of every voting machine in every district or state that went D.

that's fine. they won't be in power to do anything about it.

3 hours ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

electronic machines without paper trails

heard something on npr a week or 3 back about machines with paper trails being semi-useless because no one knows how to read the paper ballot it spits out.   that seems like a fixable problem :shrug:

Edited by elfenix

12 minutes ago, elfenix said:

heard something on npr a week or 3 back about machines with paper trails being semi-useless because no one knows how to read the paper ballot it spits out.   that seems like a fixable problem :shrug:

However did we manage to hold elections before voting machines came out?

I think the discussion needs to start with last year's senate report and actions stemming from it

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/senate-report-all-50-states-were-targeted-by-russian-interference-ahead-of-2016-elections
https://www.npr.org/2019/09/20/762499808/senate-breaks-logjam-on-election-security-cash-but-activists-say-more-is-needed

All you really need to know:

...a report from the Senate Intelligence committee concluded all 50 states were targeted in 2016 and ahead of the 2018 election “top election vulnerabilities remained."

But there’s no help coming from Congress.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell on Thursday blocked a House-passed bill that would authorize $775 million to beef up state election systems. GOP leaders made the case that the Trump administration has already made great strides in protecting the vote and they say no more funding is needed.

The Senate Democratic leader, Chuck Schumer of New York, called inaction by Congress a “disgrace” and pledged to keep pushing for votes.

And after everyone started calling McConnell "Moscow Mitch":

Senators thawed a long-frozen dispute over election security this week with an agreement to provide more funding ahead of Election Day next year — but not as much as some Democrats and outside activists say is necessary.

Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., agreed to add $250 million for election security after having held up earlier legislation.

2 hours ago, elfenix said:

The ones we used in Travis County last year, the paper it spit out read just fine.  

Oh, it was a Democrat county.  Of course, they would include a coherent paper trail.  

• 1 year later...

In addition to voter suppression, this needs more eyeballs. I read that in Ohio, residents raised objection to a county that was looking into purchasing Dominion machines and so the officials nixed Dominion. Good article followed by a twitter thread. It may make you ragey. Also, Texas features prominently in the article because a LOT of machines in Texas are ES&S.

Click on the tweet below for more of her commentary (a 12 tweet thread) in addition to the article in whowhatwhy:

• Hook 'Em 1

Of course Ken directs his energies where they are of least use to anyone but himself.

From the article in the above post:

Meanwhile, the documents produced by the Texas secretary of state reveal that the Texas office had additional concerns regarding ES&S’s hash-validation methods. One was that ES&S’s hash-verification script for election-management systems included a bug that caused it to incorrectly report a match under certain circumstances. The other was that ES&S was conducting the hash-validation tests itself, as opposed to having the jurisdictions conduct them, a “fox guarding the henhouse” situation, as one of the examiners remarked. Texas certified one of ES&S’s new systems despite these concerns.

It does go on to say there is no proof that some of the issues discussed in the article revealed fraud had occurred, but it is not reassuring to note that 1)the company refused to respond and 2) that their instructions left a roadmap for how to hack their machines. Oops.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

This is the district where the R won by 32 votes, in no small part owing to this bogus candidate who garnered 6000 votes.

The Guardians of Voter Integrity strike again.

Something like this was mentioned a few months back.  Florida Rs putting out bogus candidates to split the D vote.  That shit should be criminal.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...