2020 Australian Open

ss13

This, essentially, was where Sofia Kenin was going to win or lose the Australian Open final: She was down love-40 while serving at 2-all in the third set against two-time major champion Garbine Muguruza.

Kenin sensed this was the moment that would matter. Up in the stands of Rod Laver Arena, so did her father, Alex, who's also her coach.

"I knew I had to take my chance," Kenin said. "I had to be brave."

Sure was. The 21-year-old American won the next five points, each with a winner -- one an ace, the others clean groundstrokes to cap exchanges of 11 shots or more -- and was on her way to becoming a Grand Slam champion.

Like her dad too. 

"Those people that didn't believe in her, they had very valid reasons not to, because she's always been the smallest one," Alex Kenin said the day before the final. "But I guess, thank God, I saw something that they didn't. Because I know her better. I feel pretty happy. I guess I was right."

On 1/31/2020 at 1:30 PM, satyanash said:

Thiem would be the first player born in the 1990s to ever win a Slam. How about that.

Slams are (and always will be) a totally different animal. Your mental strength needs to be on an entirely different level, especially against a player like Novak who is probably the (mentally) strongest player to ever play the game.

MEN’S SLAM

Women have had several from the 1990s and even one from 2000. 

22 hours ago, ss13 said:

Sofia!!!!!!!! 

Glad you kids watched it with me. 

She reportedly goes by “Sonia” with her family and that is how she introduces herself... which is strange. 

18 hours ago, Kevin O’Shea said:

She picked the wrong week to win it. She’s received zero media coverage 

The Australian Open never gets any coverage. Kobe dying, Impeachment trial, and the Super Bowl all took over the media,  but the average sports fan doesn’t find out who won the Australian Open until the French Open.