2020 Australian Open

ss13

7 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Fed absolutely screwed the pooch in the most graphic way possible in that first set. 

He should have won that set 6-2.

He lost 6-7 (1-7).

Nice job, old man. 

I think it is pretty much done now for him. He's been great, but eventually age takes over. The story I read said he was injured. If so, it gets increasingly more difficult to come back from injuries. The domination from the top-3 has been so incredible.

3 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I think it is pretty much done now for him. He's been great, but eventually age takes over. The story I read said he was injured. If so, it gets increasingly more difficult to come back from injuries. The domination from the top-3 has been so incredible.

He had a pulled groin I believe. The Millman match led to the Sandgren match being a 5 setter and the Novak match being an impossibility. But even at that, he should have won the first set. 

Even in the last few games, he’d have consecutive points that were mind-bogglingly impressive that would surprise you because he had looked defeated for most of the last two sets. 

His body can’t take bad matchups in a best 3-out-of-5 set 128 person draw, but in a one off, he can still win on grass or hard court against anyone. He’s not guaranteed to win, but he can win. 

21 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Psychologically too, I don't think there's any coming back from what happened at Wimbledon last year. That was easily his best shot at winning a 21st Slam AND beating both Rafa and Novak in one Slam for the first time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Grand_Slam_men's_singles_champions

The last 20 years have been pretty amazing. Especially after Sampras ruled the 1990s with 12 titles. Federer won 15 and Nadal won 6 in the 2000s. Then it flipped to Djokovic with 15 in the 2010s and Nadal with 13 in the 2010s. Federer won 5 in the 2010s, but his last was Australia in 2018. The three of them won 33 of the 40 titles in the 2010s.

The court is playing slower this year, so perhaps that is to Thiem’s benefit. 

I didn’t care who won the Thiem v Zverev match originally, but found myself pulling for Zverev. It seemed like he could have easily won if he were smarter on the court. But he didn’t and that ultimately kind of bummed me out. 

I only want Thiem to beat Rafa in Paris, but won’t mind watching him lose Saturday night/Sunday morning. 

2 hours ago, The Dog said:

ATP REALLY needs Thiem (26) to break through and win this.

Thiem would be the first player born in the 1990s to ever win a Slam. How about that.

46 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Maybe, but would go against the trend - Thiem has won 4 of the last 5 against him including the ATP finals last fall.

Slams are (and always will be) a totally different animal. Your mental strength needs to be on an entirely different level, especially against a player like Novak who is probably the (mentally) strongest player to ever play the game.