Super Bowl Discussion - Kanas City Vs. San Francisco

Wally Pryor

Never thought I’d see the day with andy as our coach. Their DL will give us fits but I’m sure we will work the quick passing game and rely on speed after the catch. I feel much better about stopping their run game after shutting down Henry. I’m a little worried though with how big of holes mostert had, anyone on surly could have run for 100. Don’t know if that was just GB sucking, or great scheming by SF. Either way, we have tenn. a dose of their on medicine mid game yesterday and we might have to do that to SF. Should just make jimmy G throw and see what happens-we’ve faced better WR groups. 

16 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

KC may have Mahomes, who's pretty good, but SF has a generational talent in Raheem Mostert.  

Hahaha. This is so on brand.

Stats say Mostert is putting up production that is just mind-boggling. He must be a generational talent.

Meanwhile, people who actually watch the football games see Mostert running through holes wider than a Vic Mackey date.

• Like 2

Stats say Mostert is putting up production that is just mind-boggling. He must be a generational talent.
Meanwhile, people who actually watch the football games see Mostert running through holes wider than a Vic Mackey date.

I'm pretty sure that was a joke?

26 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Sherman bet on himself and won. e5a33df64e36217db5e5e9a89e16a7c4.jpg

How does that equate to betting on himself?

It wasn't like he took a one-year "prove it" contract to show he could still play. He took the best deal available.

Edited by aggie08
  • Like 1

I figured we’d lose to Tennessee. I figure we’ll lose to SF. The fact is that with new contracts and with the easy path we had in the playoffs, this is our window with it being slightly open next year as well. Kc needs to strike now or we don’t have a chance for at least 5-7 years when Mahomes realizes that he has to take less money to build talent around him to win.  By then Reid will be gone and then we have to hope to get a good coach. 

too many variables down the line. We need this win now or it isn’t coming for a while. Hope Reid and Mahomes don’t choke. 

How does that equate to betting on himself?
It wasn't like he took a one-year "prove it" contract to show he could still play. He took the best deal available.

He did not take the best deal available. He negotiated his own contract which was incentive laden based on future performance. Meaning he was betting on himself to come back just as good or better than he was before the Achilles injury. Had he used an agent he would’ve been led to take “the best deal available.”

https://www.businessinsider.com/richard-sherman-blasts-contract-critics-twitter-2020-1
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, Txslnghrns said:

He did not take the best deal available. He negotiated his own contract which was incentive laden based on future performance. Meaning he was betting on himself to come back just as good or better than he was before the Achilles injury. Had he used an agent he would’ve been led to take “the best deal available.”

https://www.businessinsider.com/richard-sherman-blasts-contract-critics-twitter-2020-1

Yep exactly. He knew he was coming off a serious injury and wanted to prove himself because he knew he could. It's a good story.

• Like 1

And as much as I like the underdog stories, SF/Tenn would not have been that great of a matchup at all. Tannehill vs that Niners defense? Yikes.

This is the best matchup by far. Should be a great game. Mahomes is not going to have all day to sit back there and find and wait for receivers to run open. SF's defense is fucking legit.

30 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

And as much as I like the underdog stories, SF/Tenn would not have been that great of a matchup at all. Tannehill vs that Niners defense? Yikes.

This is the best matchup by far. Should be a great game. Mahomes is not going to have all day to sit back there and find and wait for receivers to run open. SF's defense is fucking legit.

The secondary is pretty good. In their 3 losses they gave up 189, 105, and 201 passing yards. That’s salty. The best 2 things kc have going for us is that Mahomes comes from a Mike leach, pass quick, offense and that Reid is capable and willing to call those plays. I’d look for hardman and hill to have big games running 5-10 yard crossing routes. 

this will be a game where we really miss Kareem hunt. 

Edited by Jhawk

San Francisco can get pressure with 4 guys which most teams can't do.  They also have some great athletes at the LB position, which they are going to need to spy Mahomes.  I'm picking SF to win 27-23.  Mahomes will make some plays, but SF will get a few sacks and force a turnover or two. I know KC shut down the Tennessee run game, but they had no respect for Tannehill or their receiving corps.  SF has playmakers at RB, TE, and WR and even Kyle Juszczyk is capable out of the backfield if given a chance. 

3 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Yup. The correct answer is in this day and age spending money and draft picks on RBs is silly. Get cheap guys that can run hard and have done decent agility and pay them pennies, buy great lines and let the other pieces fall into place with the remaining money you have. That's how you build a roster and I laugh at teams like the Cowboys or the Giants spend first picks and 30 million dollar contacts for RBS.

1 hour ago, Txslnghrns said:

I did not know that. Thank you for the clarification.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

Awww, like you too, snookums. 

I’ll say this. Here in Austin, the long time Chiefs fans are coming out of the woodwork like the longtime Red Sox fans of 2004 and the diehard Warriors fans of 2016. 

Convenient as fuck. 

As a long-ass-time Cowboys fan, I can’t believe I’m cheering for SF. But fuck Tyreke Hill, fuck Techtard Mahomes, fuck that fat ass Eagles coach, and fuck that city. I manage a sales team there and travel there quite a bit. It’s a dangerous crime-ridden hell hole. I go there a couple times a month and I hate it. Airport sucks balls. BBQ is just ketchup. Homes cost $80k.  Women are ok though. Fuck Kansas. Fuck Missouri. Fuck the Chiefs. 

• Like 3

Almost all of the playoff games have been so shitty and one-sided so far, I'm just hoping for a competitive game. 

I don't really get how in this day and age of airing it out football genius passing wizardry, that you can just run the ball almost exclusively and win. You have to figure that the Chiefs are going to try to make Garappolo beat them. I think that's pretty much the game -- if they can force the 49ers to throw the ball, it will come down to whether he turns the ball over. If he can make plays or if he's able to hand it off 50 times, I like the 49ers chances. As spectacular as Mahomes has been, I don't think they are going to just be able to outscore and boat race SF like they did to Houston and Tennessee. The SF defense and especially their pass rush is too good.

This Shanahan article from earlier in the playoffs talks a little bit about his time in Texas and has multiple quotes from FYPM MBTF and Chris Simms:

Washington Post profile

Kyle Shanahan grew up trailing his dad to the Super Bowl. Now he could lead the 49ers there.

By Adam Kilgore

Shanahan, 40, has reached the high point of his coaching career, with the chance for more peaks to come. In his third season as a head coach, Shanahan has led the San Francisco 49ers to the top seed in the NFC playoffs, in which they will make their debut Saturday afternoon at Levi’s Stadium, in a divisional-round NFC playoff game against the sixth-seeded Minnesota Vikings. The 49ers need three victories to claim the franchise’s sixth Super Bowl.

The last time the 49ers won it, after the 1994 season, Shanahan occupied a different role. He was a 14-year-old ballboy who followed his father, the offensive coordinator for Steve Young and Jerry Rice, to work. During that run, Shanahan wore a Deion Sanders throwback jersey to school every day for a month.

“I felt like I couldn’t get to do homework because I needed a good night’s sleep to get ready for the game,” Shanahan said at a news conference this week.

A joyous staple of his childhood, the Super Bowl provided a forum for heartbreak in Shanahan’s first appearance in February 2017. He called plays for the Atlanta Falcons as they took a 28-3 lead over the New England Patriots and then squandered a championship. Shanahan received much of the blame, which those close to him believe was residue from the old-guard criticisms he received on his way up the coaching ladder: He had risen so fast only because of his last name.

There is no doubt Shanahan’s career benefited from his father or that nepotism reigns in NFL coaching circles. But Shanahan also has established himself, on his own merits, as one of the NFL’s best coaches. Few coaches match his offensive creativity, and in three seasons he has shaped a franchise lost in the wilderness into a Super Bowl threat, for both the immediate and foreseeable future.

“Kyle wants to be not only one of the great coaches of right now, but I think he wants to be one of the great coaches of all time,” said NBC Sports analyst and former NFL quarterback Chris Simms, who played with Shanahan at Texas and remains a close friend. “I think those are the things that drive him. He grew up watching his dad do special things and win two Super Bowls. I think he looks at it like, ‘Oh, I can do that, too, and I can one-up him.’ He expects greatness from himself.”

When Shanahan chose to be a football coach, it ensured an early life of being known as Mike Shanahan’s son. It never bothered Kyle, who calls his dad his best friend. Shanahan’s ascent has made the public association fade, and if the 49ers win three games over the next month, it may completely flip.

“I don’t think there’s any question,” said North Carolina Coach Mack Brown, a family friend who coached Shanahan at Texas. “Mike would tell you, ‘I’m Kyle’s dad.’ ”

Mike Shanahan never expected his son to work for him. He believed Shanahan would benefit from building a résumé independent of him. He established a rule: Shanahan could join his staff only if he led a top-five offense two consecutive seasons. He became the Houston Texans’ offensive coordinator in 2008, at only 28 years old. His offense finished third in total yards his first season, fourth in his second.

“Dad,” he told Mike, “I did it.”

After that season, the Washington Redskins lured Mike to become their head coach. Although Shanahan had met his standard and wanted to come, Mike still tried to convince his son not to join him. Mike told Kyle that the team’s lack of salary cap space and draft capital, combined with questions about management, would make for a difficult situation and that his path to a head coaching job would be smoother if he stayed in Houston.

“It wasn’t even close,” Mike Shanahan said. “I told him his future could really go the other direction, going with me. I told him it was a gamble. He wanted to take it because he’s not afraid of a challenge. He loves a challenge.”

It had always been that way. Mike had once tried to tell Kyle not to transfer from Duke to Texas as a wide receiver, that he should focus on education rather than risk trying to find playing time at a powerhouse.

“Dad, I can play,” Kyle told his father, who had played quarterback at Eastern Illinois. “No offense, but you went to a directional school.”

So Shanahan followed his father to Washington, and the trajectory of both their careers changed. In 2012, against Mike’s recommendation, the Redskins traded four picks to move up in the draft and take Robert Griffin III. Griffin’s athleticism and knowledge base, steeped in burgeoning ideas such as the read-option and run-pass options (RPO) but lacking traditional NFL concepts, provided a template. Shanahan would wake in the middle of the night, his mind so preoccupied he couldn’t sleep, and rush downstairs to his kitchen and scribble plays on napkins and tablecloths.

“Kyle, he’s got guts,” Simms said. “He’s not afraid to think outside the box and invent plays that have never been run in the history of the NFL or do something a different way that’s never been done. Most coaches are like, ‘Show me on tape 10 or 20 plays of that play.’ Kyle’s not like that. Kyle just goes: ‘No, I understand this defense, and this play will work. I don’t care that nobody else has ever run it before.’ ”

The offense the Shanahans concocted for Griffin powered Washington to a division title and changed NFL offenses, an effect evident today. The season also led to an unraveling. Griffin tore knee ligaments in the Redskins’ playoff loss to the Seattle Seahawks. He rushed back too early and chafed at the Shanahans’ system, wanting to be used as only a pocket passer. After a 4-12 season in 2014, the Redskins fired them, both their reputations stained by an ugly end. Championships protected Mike’s legacy, but Kyle was only at the start of his career.

“You always worry about your kids, that’s for sure,” Mike said. “But I knew he was very good at what he did, and it wouldn’t be long before he had a job.”

Kyle did not get over it so easily, believing people inside Washington’s organization undermined his father and painted him unfairly. After the 49ers beat the Redskins at FedEx Field this season, Shanahan announced to his players in the locker room he would save a game ball for his father.

Mike Shanahan displays many of the game balls he collected over his career, which include 178 victories as a head coach. He keeps the ball Kyle gave him out of view.

“I thought it was a joke, to be honest with you,” Mike said. “I’m sitting at home. I said, ‘Why would I deserve a game ball?’ I appreciated the gesture, but it was something I didn’t deserve. But it was very nice of my son to do that.”

By the 2016 season, Shanahan had been a coordinator for seven years, sidetracked by his Washington tenure but still on track to be a head coach. He led an offense that, at the time, scored the seventh-most points in NFL history and lifted quarterback Matt Ryan to an MVP season. The Falcons romped through the playoffs and plastered the Patriots for a half in Super Bowl LI in Houston.

Shanahan is not a person who backs down — not from the challenge of following his father, not from practicing against Broncos defensive backs during summers in college and, to his detriment, not from trying to score as many points as possible while up 28-3 in the Super Bowl.

Atlanta’s aggression enabled New England to stage a historic comeback. If San Francisco reaches the Super Bowl, the loss will surely be revisited — and re-litigated. It was not a surprise Shanahan was blamed after a loss that staggering, but the volume of blame surprised him. If the teams were reversed, would Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels have received more culpability than head coach Bill Belichick?

“For some reason in this case, we decided to take the management of the game out of the head coach’s job and we put it on Kyle Shanahan,” Simms said. “There’s this group haters around Kyle that just didn’t want to see him succeed at first. … I didn’t know Kyle was supposed to be the head coach of the team that day as well as the offensive coordinator. That’s crazy to me. It’s always bothered me.”

The Super Bowl didn’t deter the 49ers. They had come to believe only about 10 coaches in the NFL could truly make a difference. They saw Shanahan as one of those.

Shanahan inherited a franchise in disarray. A powerhouse under Jim Harbaugh in the early 2010s that won the NFC in 2012 and returned to the NFC title game in 2013, the 49ers missed the playoffs the next three seasons, bottoming out with a 2-14 disaster in Coach Chip Kelly’s lone season. When Shanahan arrived in 2017, he became San Francisco’s fourth coach in four seasons.

“I’d be lying to you if I said I always believed,” said tackle Joe Staley, a 49er since 2007. “There were some dark years we had in the franchise here.”

Shanahan lost his first nine games before the 49ers traded a second-round pick to the Patriots for quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo. A 6-1 finish offered promised for 2018, but Garoppolo suffered a season-ending knee injury in the third game and the 49ers finished 4-12. Even through the losing seasons, however, Shanahan sensed improvement.

“He was very proud of his football team and how they played,” Mike Shanahan said. “It has nothing to do with the record. It’s putting the football team together.”

The 49ers stormed to a 13-3 regular season, and fans have witnessed why peers regard Shanahan as an offensive mind worthy of studying. San Francisco finished second in points and second in rushing yardage, trailing only the Baltimore Ravens in both categories.

One feature of 49ers games is the frequency with which a receiver finds an expanse of empty turf and, after a massive gain, opposing defenders accuse each other of blowing an assignment. Those moments trace back to Shanahan’s football obsession. Shanahan became an NFL assistant at 25, as an offensive quality control coach for Jon Gruden’s Tampa Bay Buccaneers. When he finished his work, he would sit on the floor in the back of a defensive staff meeting and listen to coaches such as Monte Kiffin and Mike Tomlin break down defense.

Shanahan understands defense on a deep-enough level that he can reverse-engineer an opposing coach’s system from watching game film. He deciphers how a defense will align given his offense’s personnel and formation or how a linebacker will read the movement of his fullback or how a cornerback is coached to react based on a given combination of pass patterns. Shanahan then designs plays to exploit those defensive guidelines, to use a defense’s foundational tenets against it. Defenders seem so confused because following their coach’s orders is the exact thing that opened up a huge gain.

“That’s where Kyle is a genius,” Simms said. “Kyle will know [Vikings Coach] Mike Zimmer’s rules to his defense as well as Mike Zimmer does come Saturday afternoon.”

If the 49ers win, Shanahan will be one victory closer to returning to the Super Bowl for the first time since he called the Falcons’ plays. It has stayed with him. At a news conference after the 49ers sealed their NFC West title with a chaotic finish, a reporter asked Shanahan about his reaction to San Francisco getting the ball up five points with nine seconds left.

“I have experience from the Atlanta game,” Shanahan said. “So I wasn’t ready to celebrate anything.”

A trip to the Super Bowl would be familiar for the Shanahan family. He went with his father more than two decades ago. Soon Mike Shanahan could be tagging along with his son.

“I feel like Kyle is so confident and he loves his dad so much and he’s really, really proud of that name,” Brown said. “He doesn’t have to feel like he’s got to make his own mark. He’s already done that.”

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Almost all of the playoff games have been so shitty and one-sided so far, I'm just hoping for a competitive game. 

I don't really get how in this day and age of airing it out football genius passing wizardry, that you can just run the ball almost exclusively and win. You have to figure that the Chiefs are going to try to make Garappolo beat them. I think that's pretty much the game -- if they can force the 49ers to throw the ball, it will come down to whether he turns the ball over. If he can make plays or if he's able to hand it off 50 times, I like the 49ers chances. As spectacular as Mahomes has been, I don't think they are going to just be able to outscore and boat race SF like they did to Houston and Tennessee. The SF defense and especially their pass rush is too good.

I know the past has nothing to do with this current game, but I remember when my 49ers played Dan Marino in SB 19. His offense was fucking insane and he was supposed to be unstoppable. Then they played the game and it wasn't pretty. Eat shit, Dan Marino. 

4 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Both offenses looked solid, and I'm not sure who wins. I want to say SF because of defense, but Mahomes just comes back with ease. I think I heard after the game that Jimmy G only threw 9 passes the entire game, unless that was hyperbole? It looked like more when watching, but I wasn't counting. 

8.  None in the third quarter.

It was an old fashioned beatdown

I see 49ers controlling the clock with their run game and play action. The Chiefs O line will be overwhelmed by their front 7 in the first two quarters, fall behind and never get a real rythm. 32-24 SF.

Fuck the chop and fuck all that goddamn sauce on 2nd place bbq. Go Niners!

16 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

As a former journalist who trained with a blue pencil (that’s the device traditionally used to correct mistakes, not when blue balls travel up the shaft) and who can’t resist straightening your crooked art on the wall, I don’t look forward to seeing “Kanas City” in the subject header for the next two weeks. I’ll get over it. 

No real rooting interest, but I respect what Shanahan and Lynch have built in SF, and with that defense, Kittle and the emergence of Mostert and Samuel, I expect the 49ers to win. If I am cheering for anything, it’s for Tyreek Hill to go away. And I won’t lie, I’m also a little over the Mahomes worship. Yeah, he’s talented and seems like a good kid, I’m just a little Parcellsian about him, “don’t measure him for the gold jacket just yet.” 

Thanks to SlorchMan for mentioning Joe Delaney earlier. If anyone deserves a place in heaven, it’s that guy. 

(And as a Cowboys fan, I have no right to be “Fuck the 49ers, they are our rivals!” That shit was almost 30 years ago.)

rep paid for Parcellsian.  as the self-appointed keeper of Parcells-isms, i have never heard read or thought about that one and you are hereby awarded the triple cross of the legion of courage.

oak will be along shortly to transmogrify the medal for your avatar.

triple-cross-of-the-legion-of-courage.jp

chiefs will have to sellout to stop the run. GB just got face raped by the run. Love me that niners offense. misdirection, traps, counters, two backs and a bruising oline. watch their receivers too - they all block. incredible coaching job by shanahan to get that machine going

niners run, then PA to the TE and sanders. Debo gets a few in too. Guido throws like 15 times, completing 10 of them and faces are raped. 

i say 31 - 24 niners. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, 'stache said:

KC I guess. Mahomes seems like a good dude and can play. Fuck frisco and their magic underwear former qb and all the asshole who played with him. I just wish KC would stop doing the fake Indian stuff.

Independence, Missouri is the gathering place of the Lamanites at the next coming of the Lord for the final dispensation and the beginning of Jesus' 1000-year reign over The Kingdom of God.

It is The City of Zion.

The Chiefs are appropriately named.  And it's funny they stole the Tomahawk Chop from both FSU & the Braves, but there were no lawsuits.