Super Bowl Discussion - Kanas City Vs. San Francisco

Wally Pryor

Going to save some of you degenerates some $$$ in the future with my stone cold lock of the century: Shanahan will shit himself is in the super bowl and lose the game.

Afterward, Kansas City defensive back Tyrann Mathieu expressed his gratitude for San Francisco's decision to favor the pass over the run down the stretch.

"We were grateful they got out of the run and started to throw the ball," he said.

When asked after the loss as to the thinking behind those decisions, Shanahan insisted he felt the team needed to prioritize getting first downs over burning clock.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/chiefs-tyrann-mathieu-grateful-49ers-kyle-shanahan-abandoned-run-game

I still can’t believe Garoppolo couldn’t find a wide open Kittle on a shallow crossing route on the 3rd and five play.  Just an awful showing from a mediocre QB.  Surprising really the Chiefs almost blew this game given the massive advantage they had at QB. 

23 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Going to save some of you degenerates some $$$ in the future with my stone cold lock of the century: Shanahan will shit himself is in the super bowl and lose the game.

Maybe he should have run the ball on 2nd and five, but other than that I don’t see what there is to complaint about. Was he supposed to run a stretch play on 3rd and five?  A bigger complaint would be going conservative to end the half and kicking the FG on 4th and two. It’s like he thought he could win that game only scoring in the low 20s. 

SIAP...

Patrick Mahomes credits Big 12 for Super Bowl win

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/patrick_mahomes_credits_big_12_for_super_bowl_win/s1_127_31210934

The Big 12 has long been regarded as being below the caliber of the SEC and some of the other top Power-5 conferences in college football, but it has now produced a Super Bowl champion quarterback in Patrick Mahomes. And Mahomes actually believes playing in the conference contributed to his championship.

Mahomes joined NFL Network’s postgame show on Sunday after helping his Kansas City Chiefs beat the San Francisco 49ers 31-20. He was asked by LaDainian Tomlinson how he rallied back from down 20-10 after throwing an interception in the fourth quarter and shared his reason.

“I kind of joke around about it sometimes, but I was kind of blessed to be in the Big 12 where you had to go and score, and if you threw an interception, you got the ball back, you try to score again. I’ve kind of had that mindset where no matter what happens the last play, just focus on the next play,” Mahomes said, crediting his college conference.

Mahomes also credited his coaches, especially offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy, for preaching that mindset.

“Coach Eric Bieniemy is big on that … having people around me and coaches around me instills the confidence, I focus on the next play no matter what I did the previous play.”

Mahomes did not play his best game, but he came through in the end, and you can probably thank that mentality for helping the former Texas Tech quarterback come through.

Yeah, the correct call on Kittle immediately reminded me of that incorrect no call on Rudolph.

Another annoying thing about the officiating is the pure shilling that the television broadcast "officiating experts" do for the officials. Didn't Pereira say the Rudolph play was a good no call or am I thinking of someone else? Either way both of them were obvious offensive pass interference and should have been called.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Horn80 said:

Won’t surprise me if Chiefs win more in future and 49ers tank like the Rams did and don’t return for a long time.  Twist of fate has long term implications.

They have next year and then Mahomes gets paid.  Let’s see what kind of talent KC can surround him with on both sides of the ball when his salary goes from 4 million a year to 40 million a year.  They may lose guys like Hill, Kelce and their D.  I think the 49ers have a better team built for the long run to compete.   Not saying they will win it all just be a good team for a while.

16 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Yeah, the correct call on Kittle immediately reminded me of that incorrect no call on Rudolph.

Another annoying thing about the officiating is the pure shilling that the television broadcast "officiating experts" do for the officials. Didn't Pereira say the Rudolph play was a good no call or am I thinking of someone else? Either way both of them were obvious offensive pass interference and should have been called.

Agreed on the former officials offering their ‘objective’ opinion.  They sure get it wrong a lot for being so-called experts.  I hate it when they ask them shit. You’re paid announcers, tell us what you saw...

Yeah, the proliferation of former officials shilling for their former coworkers on football broadcasts has been a strange development.  I was good with the old system where the primary broadcasters, who are already presumed to be impartial, were also expected to know and explain the rules.  Occasionally they would even call out bad officiating.

Edited by WBT

28 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

And that was mostly my point earlier in the thread where I tried to explain the horrible officiating in the NFL (probably badly) and to a degree last night. Pass interference is comepltely subjective and it's too big a part of the game now.  How many huge games have been decided over the course of the last few seasons by PI calls or no calls?  Too goddamn many.  I also thing that the spot foul is too much on PI calls.  I prefer the college rule of 15 yards.  

• Like 1

They have next year and then Mahomes gets paid.  Let’s see what kind of talent KC can surround him with on both sides of the ball when his salary goes from 4 million a year to 40 million a year.  They may lose guys like Hill, Kelce and their D.  I think the 49ers have a better team built for the long run to compete.   Not saying they will win it all just be a good team for a while.
Niners aren't winning anything unless Jimmy G improved a lot. At some point, you have to rely on your QB. Why did they break the bank for a guy in an offense built around the run game a safe, easy passes? You could get a QB far less cheaper to do those things and have more money to get an even better roster. Jimmy G is nothing more than Dilfer was with the Ravens. Except Dilfer could actually deliver when they needed him to in their Super Bowl run.

1 minute ago, Vic Mackey said:
25 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Niners aren't winning anything unless Jimmy G improved a lot. At some point, you have to rely on your QB. Why did they break the bank for a guy in an offense built around the run game a safe, easy passes? You could get a QB far less cheaper to do those things and have more money to get an even better roster. Jimmy G is nothing more than Dilfer was with the Ravens. Except Dilfer could actually deliver when they needed him to in their Super Bowl run.

Agreed. They could do the same thing with Teddy Bridgewater at $18mm/year that they're doing now with Jimmy G for $10mm/year more. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Hate said:

And that was mostly my point earlier in the thread where I tried to explain the horrible officiating in the NFL (probably badly) and to a degree last night. Pass interference is comepltely subjective and it's too big a part of the game now.  How many huge games have been decided over the course of the last few seasons by PI calls or no calls?  Too goddamn many.  I also thing that the spot foul is too much on PI calls.  I prefer the college rule of 15 yards.  

The problem with pass interference is that the best solution, in my opinion, puts more emphasis on official subjectivity. Blatant pass interference penalties should be spot fouls, minor infractions should be maxed at 15 yards.

However, I will disagree with you that the DPI on San Francisco was minor. That was blatant and would have been a spot foul even in my perfect world.

Edited by Huckleberry

I can understand how many would call that a PI, but I've seen too many similar instances where that wasn't called.  The defensive player even had his hands straight up in the air to avoid contact.  The defensive player has a right to that space as well.  I think the league likes points and the officials have been instructed to throw a flag when there is even the slightest of doubt and I think it is to the detriment of the game.  It seemed as if the refs were willing to let the lineman play as I don't think there was a single holding call on either OL.  I wish the refs would have let the defensive players play too.

The chiefs window is up after they pay Mahomes. I think they make a good run next year and then spend 4-5 years being a playoff team that loses in the first or second round. 

incredible how many close calls won that game.  Sherman really showed his ass in that game. Mahomes showed some touch he hasn’t showed much this year on the deep ball. 

2 hours ago, Hate said:

I can understand how many would call that a PI, but I've seen too many similar instances where that wasn't called.  The defensive player even had his hands straight up in the air to avoid contact.  The defensive player has a right to that space as well.  I think the league likes points and the officials have been instructed to throw a flag when there is even the slightest of doubt and I think it is to the detriment of the game.  It seemed as if the refs were willing to let the lineman play as I don't think there was a single holding call on either OL.  I wish the refs would have let the defensive players play too.

My take on those kind of calls is that they just feel cheap. Even if they are textbook PI calls, it feels cheap and cheesy when an offense greatly benefits from a shitty, underthrown ball and the defender, who has his hands full trying to cover the receiver and make a play on the ball, gets punished for the bad throw. Like the offense is exploiting a rule to their advantage. 

Granted, that play might not be the best example, because the ball was not severely underthrown, and the way the SF dude played the ball was Jason Washington-esque.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hate said:

Pretty sure I've seen way more instances of defensive players not turning their head but not actually making contact, and still getting called than I've seen defensive players getting away with plays like that last night.

Not turning your head is pretty much the most automatic flag going in today's game.

So happy for Andy Reid and Daniel Sorenson, both BYU alumni.   Not many people make the connection but he's a LaVell Edwards disciple and patterns his coaching and management and mentoring style after him.  It's no wonder the players love him and he's always represented BYU well.  

Edited by TeddyBearStallion

1 hour ago, CurlyDumps said:

My take on those kind of calls is that they just feel cheap. Even if they are textbook PI calls, it feels cheap and cheesy when an offense greatly benefits from a shitty, underthrown ball and the defender, who has his hands full trying to cover the receiver and make a play on the ball, gets punished for the bad throw. Like the offense is exploiting a rule to their advantage. 

Granted, that play might not be the best example, because the ball was not severely underthrown, and the way the SF dude played the ball was Jason Washington-esque.

I'm with you, but I don't remember being upset at that particular play.

If it wasn't going to be DPI with a good throw it shouldn't become DPI because the QB fucked up and the WR had to try to make a catch through a defender:

IdioticLivelyDavidstiger.gif

• Like 1

I would have a hard time seeing Reid leave with a stud QB like Mahomes sitting there to make work.

Maybe health reasons or family might pull him away, but professionally??? Seems like another decade is on the table, at least.

Edited by Iceman

It just shows how important coaching is and how important going to the right organization is.  Would he be this good if he had gone to Cleveland, Jacksonville, or Detroit?  I don't know, but I doubt that any of those teams as currently constructed would have won a Super Bowl with him.