Super Bowl Discussion - Kanas City Vs. San Francisco

Wally Pryor

14 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Stache.... when your daughters hit their mid teens you're going to have your hands full.  That halftime show was totally out of bounds.  I'm not clutching pearls, I'm just an old man who's been around the block a million times.  Good luck though.

And while I'm at it... get off my lawn.

I hope you're not implying about my seven year old daughter what it sounds like you're implying, but nevertheless, I do know she will be a handful as a teenager. She's a handful now. She's has a big personality and yes, she already likes boys. But she also has an impressive amount of self confidence for her age. She doesn't allow herself to be bullied, especially by boys, and we address things as they come. We are encouraging positivity in this respect. Of course, I can't predict if she'll be what I hope she will in her teenage years. All I can do is keep trying. But one thing I do know is that her liking the fun pretty dancing girls on TV last Sunday isn't going to have any affect whatsoever on how she develops. I'd be more concerned if she starting judging those girls and commenting on their appearances in a negative way. She saw them as confident and happy. Her joy watching that show brought me joy. No judgments here.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Iceman said:

and if it's a 15 yarder automatically, get ready for a parade of DPI penalties.  You might as well institute a "5- fouls and you are disqualified" policy.

I like the spot foul at the NFL level.  It serves a purpose.

This. Defenses don't deserve to gain 25+ yards by committing PI's 40 yards beyond the LOS. If you don't want the penalty, learn how to fucking cover better. That's what the defensive-minded pansies are always saying about the QB/OL. "Well if you don't us to be awarded 2 points automatically, stop committing intentional grounding/holding penalties in your own end zone!!!"

Edited by hpslugga

3 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

Remind me of all these defensive pass interference penalties in college football?

Yeah, I don't think it's as easy to intentionally commit PI as some seem to think. A DB would have to essentially concede that the catch is certain and do so within a split second. I think most PIs are DB's trying to make a play on the ball. If they unintentionally commit PI, then 15 yards is sufficient. If they do it intentionally every play then the offense will just march down the field 15 yards at a time. I don't see that being a problem.

Yeah, I don't think it's as easy to intentionally commit PI as some seem to think. A DB would have to essentially concede that the catch is certain and do so within a split second. I think most PIs are DB's trying to make a play on the ball. If they unintentionally commit PI, then 15 yards is sufficient. If they do it intentionally every play then the offense will just march down the field 15 yards at a time. I don't see that being a problem.

Exactly so many of the rules already favor offense so this would help out defenses quite a bit I think.

That's a myth

https://www.insidehook.com/article/sports/nfl-rule-changes-created-golden-era-quarterback-stats

QB protection penalties, and more emphasis to downfield contact and etc. yes offenses have evolved and are more efficient but rules are aiding that as well.

2014 SEASON
The N.F.L. cracks down on illegal contact in the secondary.
In what may have been a response to how Seattle’s defensive backs stifled Manning’s Denver Broncos in the Super Bowl, the N.F.L. emphasizes enforcing illegal-contact rules in the secondary for the first time in seven years. As a result, illegal-contact penalties soar, to an average of 3.31 per team from 1.19 in 2013, according to nflpenalties.com. Defensive-holding penalties also increase, to an average of 7.34 per team from 5.66. Offenses capitalize on the new rules, throwing more touchdown passes (804) and completing a greater percentage of passes (62.6) than ever before.

Yeah, you're looking at one particular rule, which btw is kind of pathetic because the very article you're quoting is about enforcing rules already in the book, not creating new ones. Regardless, I'm talking about the whole entire picture.

-Offensive players have to be perfectly still, sans one person who’s permitted to run parallel to the LOS, until the ball is snapped unless it’s an arranged shift that has to cease a full count before the snap.

-Offenses can only employ 5 eligible pass receivers.

-Offenses can only send those eligible pass receivers beyond the LOS if the pass is thrown beyond the LOS (i.e. no OL downfield).

-Offenses have to have exactly 7 players on the LOS at the timing of the snap, and they have to do so in a particular way (i.e. no “covering up”)

-Offensive players have to wear particular jersey numbers so as to explain their “eligibility” regarding pass receptions, and they also have to report said eligibility in instances where an exception is made. 

These are just 5 examples, but the important thing is that there isn’t any symmetry.

-There’s no symmetry with a false start penalty. A lot of people think offsides/encroachment is, but it's really not when you think about it. A defensive player could jump damn near into the backfield and it’s ok as long as he gets back by the time the ball is snapped. False start isn’t the same. False start is “come out of your stance and the play is dead.” Yeah encroachment is an automatic dead ball foul, but it still involves a preceding act (merely crossing the LOS) in order to get to that, and that act would already be penalized if it was the offense. In other words, you don't have to look at whether or not an OL touched a DL in order to call a false start. He already moved. Contact isn't relevant there.

-Defenses aren’t limited to the number of people that can penetrate the LOS. You could rush all 11 if you wanted (you’d be a damned fool in the age of the spread, but you are allowed to do it).

-Defenses don’t have to line up in any particular fashion other than “everyone has to be behind the LOS.” They can line up with 11 men on the LOS and they can line up with 0 men on the LOS. There’s no such thing as “illegal defensive formation.”

-Defenses don't have to fucking announce who their blitzers are prior to the play. In fact, the better disguised, the better the play tends to end up for them. Can anyone imagine what would happen if the offense was allowed to tell the refs that all 5 of the OL are the eligible receivers and neither the WR's nor the backs are eligible, AND that the refs wouldn't have to tell the defense about this?

And notice, some of these rules are only applicable to the American 11-man leagues. In the Arena and Canadian leagues, for example, they’re allowed to send WR’s full speed towards the LOS and the only time they’re gonna call a foul is if they cross the LOS prior to the snap. Can you imagine if that became the law of the NCAA? The SEC’s collective head would explode and the B1G would call a press conference. In the NFL, you’d see scoring averages go up by at least 10 points per team per game.

Defenses were given a free ride in the beginning of the game, and little by little, minor chips and cuts have been made and they always react hysterically when it happens. “OMG DPI IS A SPOT FOUL IN THE NFL NOW???NOWAI!!!”

11 hours ago, Bevo VIII said:

Face guarding is still illegal

At the college level, the rule requires contact. “Contact” is specifically mentioned in all descriptions of pass interference in Rule 7 of the NCAA manual.

This comes into play for an official on a judgment call. If the defender is making a play on the ball, some incidental contact is typically allowed. If the defender doesn’t look back, makes himself an obstacle and makes contact with the receiver, a flag can be thrown (an easy call most of the time). If the defender does not make contact, however, no flag.

In the NFL, by rule, face guarding is allowed but like at the college level that changes if contact is made.

https://blogs.usafootball.com/blog/691/ask-the-official-face-guarding-in-itself-is-illegal-only-within-high-school-rules

only with contact

On 2/5/2020 at 10:30 AM, Bevo VIII said:

Please name a rule change in the past 5-10-15-20-25 years that have benefited defenses before giving me this “oh poor offenses” shit.

I don't say "poor offenses." What I said is "poor defenses" is a myth, and it is. You knew that already, but to answer your challenge, I can name at least four:

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2016/3/23/11288894/nfl-rules-changes-chop-blocks-cut-blocks-legal-illegal-explanation
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2019/03/26/nfl-blindside-blocks-outlawed-banned-rules/3278646002/
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2008/4/2/16112/65451
-Prior to 1999, clipping was actually legal if it was done around the LOS. It's now illegal everywhere. This isn't the same as the newer chop block rules as clipping is a 1-on-1 block where as chops are combo blocks.

I suppose you could argue "player safety" in defense of the enactments of some of those rules, but you'd have to do that for these rules that you complain "favor offenses," and then what are you left with?