Todd Orlando to be DC at USC?

Gil Bang

7 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I have every expectation that that fucking blockhead will actually show up and do none of the crazy, asinine shit he did all season at Texas. Just watch, because that's how it fucking works. 

Definitely expecting a Diazian redemption.  Because, why not?

I don’t why it still shocks me in football but it’s just mind numbing to see a HC getting paid millions of dollars, for them to look at someone display complete ineptitude and think, yep, that’s the man for the job. It happens every year...a lot. 

You can’t find anyone else? 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I don’t why it still shocks me in football but it’s just mind numbing to see a HC getting paid millions of dollars, for them to look at someone display complete ineptitude and think, yep, that’s the man for the job. It happens every year...a lot. 

I’m not saying it’s a good hire by any means, but his reasoning isn probably as simple as Orlando’s defense owned USC both times they played and the fact that Orlando has a history of improving defenses right away in year one. For whatever reason, he doesn’t usually fuck up the defense by over over-scheming until the following years, and Helton is only thinking one year at a time right now. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

27 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I have every expectation that that fucking blockhead will actually show up and do none of the crazy, asinine shit he did all season at Texas. Just watch, because that's how it fucking works. 

Well, maybe his HC will tell him to knock it off

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I’m not saying it’s a good hire by any means, but ibis reasoning isn’t probably as simple as Orlando’s defense owned USC both times they played and the fact that Orlando has a history of improving defenses right away in year one. For whatever reason, he doesn’t usually fuck up the defense by over over-scheming until the following years, and Helton is only thinking one year at a time right now. 

This.

Todd Orlando's Year 1 Defensive Ranks (FEI)

2013 - Utah St.  10th   (up from 17th the previous season)

2015 - Houston  30th  (up from 59th)

2017 - Texas  7th  (up from 51)

Todd Orlando's Year 2 Defensive Ranks (FEI)

2014 - Utah St.  22nd  (down from 10th)

2016 - Houston 19th  (up from 30th)

2018 - Texas  44th (down from 7th)

Edited by Hiphopopotamos
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Yeah, there’s a lot that shocks me every year. Even at times when coverages or plays are completely predictable to the average dickhead under copious amounts of Coors Light and skoal.

You USC fans can use our trademark as long as you drop a check in the mail made out to Surly.

Third and Orlando.....   It rolls off the tongue real quick because you will be saying it over and over .  Chicken wire to cover your flat screen from flying beer bottles or shoes is not included.

Have fun Trojan nation..... He's your peep now.

1 minute ago, CHIEF said:

Playing a couple of more pro-style offenses will automatically make him look better in the PAC. He just never really caught on how to play defense in the Big XII, after the first year.

CHIEF

The less dual threats, the better he looks. PAC-12 offenses are pretty damn boring. 

Todd Orlando’s first game as DC for USC is Alabama. They also have Oregon on the schedule. 

49 minutes ago, Js1 said:

The less dual threats, the better he looks. PAC-12 offenses are pretty damn boring. 

Todd Orlando’s first game as DC for USC is Alabama. They also have Oregon on the schedule. 

good move to get to the G5+ conference.  more his speed.

Thanks to his guaranteed deal at Texas, Orlando makes at least $1.7mm per year regardless of where he coaches.

At TTU, his total tax bill will be $604k.
At USC, his total tax bill will be $781k, thanks to state taxes of $177k.

Orlando would be forgoing $177k to be a DC at USC over LB at TTU.

2 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

This.

Todd Orlando's Year 1 Defensive Ranks (FEI)

2013 - Utah St.  10th   (up from 17th the previous season)

2015 - Houston  30th  (up from 59th)

2017 - Texas  7th  (up from 51)

Todd Orlando's Year 2 Defensive Ranks (FEI)

2014 - Utah St.  22nd  (down from 10th)

2016 - Houston 19th  (up from 30th)

2018 - Texas  44th (down from 7th)

And then by year three its hide yo wives, hide yo kids....

8 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Orlando will do well in a league made up mostly of conventional offenses as opposed to the air raidy style offenses that litter the Big 12. He consistently destroys pro style offenses provided they don't frequently employ anything "exotic" like a jet sweep or anything.  

and the Big12 was 1-5 in bowls, so the exotic stuff failed.

2 hours ago, boilerhorn said:

Thanks to his guaranteed deal at Texas, Orlando makes at least $1.7mm per year regardless of where he coaches.

At TTU, his total tax bill will be $604k.
At USC, his total tax bill will be $781k, thanks to state taxes of $177k.

Orlando would be forgoing $177k to be a DC at USC over LB at TTU.

But he remains a DC which might (will probably) be a better look on the old resume.

48 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Orlando will do well in a league made up mostly of conventional offenses as opposed to the air raidy style offenses that litter the Big 12. He consistently destroys pro style offenses provided they don't frequently employ anything "exotic" like a jet sweep or anything.  

No one in the PAC 12 runs anything that resembles a pro style offense except, USC. And even that’s not true anymore.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

No one in the PAC 12 runs anything that resembles a pro style offense except, USC. And even that’s not true anymore.

I initially used conventional and should've stuck with it.  The terms pro style and college offenses are really just stand ins for offenses that focus on stressing space vs those that don't.  The Pac 12 is littered with unimaginative offenses that don't come close to stressing the defenses to near the geometric extent that most of the Big 12 offenses do. Even Sumlin, who earlier in his career was firmly in the air raid camp (despite developing under Tiller and only having a tangential relationship to the air raid through Stoops, Kingsbury, and Holgerson) has decided to hitch his wagon to Noel Mazonne who is anything but a space stresser. Even programs that we typically put in the space stressing camp have (ie Oregon) are now crude facsimiles of what they were once noted for.