Killers of the Flower Moon - Scorsese, Dicaprio, De Niro - 10.20.2023 release

BigOrange1

I watched it.  I enjoyed it for the most part.  I have not read the book nor did I know anything about this occuring.  So, with that, it kept my "interest" eventhough I had a pretty good idea as to how it was going to turn out once I got into it.  I suppose the "enjoyment" that I got from it was that I learned a bit more about the crooked past on how the Native Americans were treated and taken advantage of.

I was not impressed by Leonardo's facial expression throughout the movie with the severe underbite.  I found it distracting and a bit comical.  Secondly, perhaps shame on me, but I expected the Osages to not have the type of accent that they had in the movie particularly since it was still so early in the last century that this took place.

I would have liked a scene where the Osages took matters into their own hands.  Also curious to know if any of the Osages have continued to be able to keep their wealth from that time period.  Will have to check into that.

It is not a movie that I would take time to watch again but glad that I watched it to learn something new.

• 2 weeks later...

I watched it last week and treated it like a miniseries, splitting it up across 3 nights. I read the book when it first came out so I kind of knew the story but I forgot some of the details.

I liked it but didn't love it. I thought Lily Gladstone was excellent as Mollie Burkhart, and Leo was pretty good in his role, but Robert De Niro felt really out of place to me.

I think De Niro acted the part well, but the entire time it felt like I was watching Robert De Niro basically play Robert De Niro. That seems to be a minority opinion because I see everyone else praising his performance, but I think I would've enjoyed the movie more if someone else had been cast as William Hale. Also, De Niro is 80 and I think William Hale would've been 45-50 range in most of this movie. That felt a little weird to me because I kept wondering how much money this old man could possibly need for the short rest of his life, but then the movie tells us he lived another ~35 years. It wasn't even close to matching up, and I know Scorsese and De Niro have a strong history together, but I think this casting decision took the movie down a notch for me.

I also think, having read the book and knowing how the story would go, there was a little less shock in the development of the story, so David Grann beat Martin Scorsese to the punch. I suppose you can't blame Scorsese too much, except that I have a hard time calling it a masterpiece when he's telling a story that's already been told quite well.

• Hook 'Em 1

Back then in Oklahoma, 50 looked like 80, but also agree that from an artistic and authenticity standpoint, Leo and DeNiro were too old. But it probably would not have been greenlit for theatrical release without them.

Not to fanboy too much, but PTA or Coens would have nailed an adaptation revolving around the Osage undercover work, which could have weaved FBI and Osage seamlessly.

It would have been true crime, but have heart and not have glorified the US govt involvement, or put glamorous actors portraying evil characters.

And it might have been difficult, but I was surprised Burkhart reveal was so early. But Scorsese took a different path and it worked in its own way.

Back then in Oklahoma, 50 looked like 80, but also agree that from an artistic and authenticity standpoint, Leo and DeNiro were too old. But it probably would not have been greenlit for theatrical release without them.

I considered the “50 looked like 80 today” angle, but there are quite a few actual pictures of Hale and he did not appear elderly. It‘s just a case of Scorsese wanting to give the part to his friend instead of opening up casting for a better fit.
  • Like 1

We finally sat down to watch this last night. We wanted it to be a night where we could start it relatively early (8pm) so if we wanted to break it up we could. We took a small break right after Jesse Plemons showed up and then restarted. I really enjoyed it. Lily Gladstone should win Best Actress. She was fantastic. I thought DeNiro was great. It reminded me a bit of his Angel Heart character. Wife mentioned Leo seemed to be channeling some from his character in What's Eating Gilbert Grape. The brutality was tough to take and I mentioned to the wife that I was ready for Jesse Plemons character to show up just to get the wheels of justice to start turning. Lots of great cameos. I didn't have any issues with the epilogue. I thought it was a good way to wrap up what happened. We had to go back and look at a few scenes as I knew Henry Grabber looked familiar (Sturgill Simpson). Then I saw Jack White in the credits as one of the radio show actors so we went back and watched it again. I think in any other year this one wins Best Picture but Oppenheimer is inevitable this year. 

Edited by mdmost

6 hours ago, mdmost said:

We finally sat down to watch this last night. We wanted it to be a night where we could start it relatively early (8pm) so if we wanted to break it up we could. We took a small break right after Jesse Plemons showed up and then restarted. I really enjoyed it. Lily Gladstone should win Best Supporting. She was fantastic. I thought DeNiro was great. It reminded me a bit of his Angel Heart character. Wife mentioned Leo seemed to be channeling some from his character in What's Eating Gilbert Grape. The brutality was tough to take and I mentioned to the wife that I was ready for Jesse Plemons character to show up just to get the wheels of justice to start turning. Lots of great cameos. I didn't have any issues with the epilogue. I thought it was a good way to wrap up what happened. We had to go back and look at a few scenes as I knew Henry Grabber looked familiar (Sturgill Simpson). Then I saw Jack White in the credits as one of the radio show actors so we went back and watched it again. I think in any other year this one wins Best Picture but Oppenheimer is inevitable this year. 

We finally watched it last night too. I had somewhat low expectations having read the book, which was excellent, and then seeing some of the negative comments on here. But I was pleasantly surprised. We enjoyed it. Agreed that DeNiro was great and Gladstone should win the Oscar.

On 2/18/2024 at 10:12 AM, mdmost said:

We finally sat down to watch this last night. We wanted it to be a night where we could start it relatively early (8pm) so if we wanted to break it up we could. We took a small break right after Jesse Plemons showed up and then restarted. I really enjoyed it. Lily Gladstone should win Best Actress. She was fantastic. I thought DeNiro was great. It reminded me a bit of his Angel Heart character. Wife mentioned Leo seemed to be channeling some from his character in What's Eating Gilbert Grape. The brutality was tough to take and I mentioned to the wife that I was ready for Jesse Plemons character to show up just to get the wheels of justice to start turning. Lots of great cameos. I didn't have any issues with the epilogue. I thought it was a good way to wrap up what happened. We had to go back and look at a few scenes as I knew Henry Grabber looked familiar (Sturgill Simpson). Then I saw Jack White in the credits as one of the radio show actors so we went back and watched it again. I think in any other year this one wins Best Picture but Oppenheimer is inevitable this year. 

did you miss Isbell too?

On 2/18/2024 at 4:27 PM, Art Vandelay said:

We finally watched it last night too. I had somewhat low expectations having read the book, which was excellent, and then seeing some of the negative comments on here. But I was pleasantly surprised. We enjoyed it. Agreed that DeNiro was great and Gladstone should win the Oscar.

My feelings as well. I think the movie was an hour too long but still enjoyed.

Thought it was interesting that the whole movie drug on then felt like they rushed through the ending with the radio show wrapping things up.