Killers of the Flower Moon - Scorsese, Dicaprio, De Niro - 10.20.2023 release

BigOrange1

Killers of the Flower Moon will be based on the book Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI, the third non-fiction book by American journalist David Grann. The book investigates a series of murders of wealthy Osage people that took place in Osage County, Oklahoma in the early 1920s-after big oil deposits were discovered beneath their land. This sparks a major F.B.I. investigation involving J. Edgar Hoover.

https://movieweb.com/killers-of-the-flower-moon-leonardo-dicaprio-robert-de-niro/

Edited by BigOrange1
  • Like 1

On 1/20/2020 at 5:49 PM, TheStoicPaisano said:

Fucking hell, I imagine this means another delay for The Devil in the White City.

Ha yeah probably.

Ironically, there is a reference to H.H. Holmes in Killers of the Flower Moon.

And I'm now about 150 pages in and I'll say if you're interested in this film and you liked Devil in the White City, you should definitely read this book.  It's fantastic. 

The story is pretty damn incredible... there are tons of interesting characters and I can't wait to see how Scorcese puts them on the screen.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Ha yeah probably.

Ironically, there is a reference to H.H. Holmes in Killers of the Flower Moon.

And I'm now about 150 pages in and I'll say if you're interested in this film and you liked Devil in the White City, you should definitely read this book.  It's fantastic. 

The story is pretty damn incredible... there are tons of interesting characters and I can't wait to see how Scorcese puts them on the screen.

All of this.  

On 1/26/2020 at 2:44 AM, ChiTownDoc said:

For the 4th time, this.  The okie tale looks damned interesting too, but I've been waiting too long for Devil in the White City.  Fuck

I said it earlier, but worth repeating: if you liked Devil in the White City, you should read Killers of the Flower Moon.   

It doesn't have as much broad history stuff as Devil in the White City, but it's chocked full of interesting characters from turn-of-the-century Oklahoma and Texas -- oil men, moonshiners, Texas Rangers, Pinkerton detectives, etc.; not to mention J. Edgar Hoover and interesting stuff about early FBI crime investigation methods, etc. 

It also has some of the same themes as Devil in the White City with the old world/old West clashing with new world/new technology.  It's really, really good.

That is some really fine country up in those parts.  Beautiful place.  

Yes it is. The only place in Oklahoma that I like. Used to do business as a market analyst with some real estate people in Tulsa and out East to Talequah and Lake Tenkiller area. Beautiful trees and lakes up in there /csb.  

Will definitely check out that movie and this devil in the white city book you guys are touting

On 1/28/2020 at 8:25 AM, Mileslong said:

Yes it is. The only place in Oklahoma that I like. Used to do business as a market analyst with some real estate people in Tulsa and out East to Talequah and Lake Tenkiller area. Beautiful trees and lakes up in there /csb.  

Will definitely check out that movie and this devil in the white city book you guys are touting

Eastern Oklahoma is beautiful.... lots of trees, lakes, rolling hills, etc. People who think of Oklahoma as all wheat fields, open prairie and red dirt are often surprised when they visit the Tulsa area.

Southeastern Oklahoma is even more so with the Ouachita Mountains.  

As for the Killers of the Flower Moon, I just got to the part where we find out who is behind the murders and.... WOW.

Spoiler

I thought Hale might be involved somehow as I was reading, but HOLY SHIT.  Dude was like a Bond villian with his plan. DAYUM.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2020 at 1:55 PM, oSuJeff97 said:

And no; Leo isn't playing J. Edgar. He's playing the husband of one of the wealthy Osage Native Americans.

you sure he isn't gonna play tom white?  that's who i had him pegged for when reading the book.

the book is great, flew right threw it.  people have been shitty to each other for a really long time. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/13/2020 at 7:42 PM, BigOrange1 said:

you sure he isn't gonna play tom white?  that's who i had him pegged for when reading the book.

the book is great, flew right threw it.  people have been shitty to each other for a really long time. 

Was just going off IMDB.... it initially had Leo playing Burkhart and DeNiro playing Hale... looks like it's gone now though so maybe you're right.... 

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
38 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

So long as DeNiro plays an old guy.  That multiple age crap from the last big movie from DeNiro and Scorsese was awful.

Hale was in his late 40's / early 50's during the Reign of Terror, but he looks older in photos. It was after all the 1920's. I think it'll look alright. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

• 2 months later...

https://nypost.com/2021/05/10/leonardo-dicaprio-unrecognizable-in-first-photos-of-new-film/amp/

is it weird Sturgill Simpson and Jason Isbell are in this movie? 🤨

really looking forward to this, read the book during covid when i saw the movie was coming. what a terrible, painful event in our history, so many murdered!

and...i had no idea. one of those things of such magnitude i feel like i should have known/heard about it, but of course didn't b/c history is written by the 'winners'. what a story, hope Scorcese does it justice. 

2 hours ago, mchookem said:

and...i had no idea. one of those things of such magnitude i feel like i should have known/heard about it, but of course didn't b/c history is written by the 'winners'. what a story, hope Scorcese does it justice. 

I hope it gives us as thorough of a look at Oklahoma in the 1920s as Tiger King has given us in the 2020s.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, mchookem said:

https://nypost.com/2021/05/10/leonardo-dicaprio-unrecognizable-in-first-photos-of-new-film/amp/

is it weird Sturgill Simpson and Jason Isbell are in this movie? 🤨

really looking forward to this, read the book during covid when i saw the movie was coming. what a terrible, painful event in our history, so many murdered!

No doubt. I live like 30-40 miles from where this went down and had no idea about it until I read the book.

On a related note, I thought one of the more odd coincidences was that the first known murder in the book took place in the same month as the Greenwood Race massacre in Tulsa (May 1921). Pretty crazy that those two seminal events took place the same month one county over.

Based on this thread, I ordered both books and received them yesterday.

I'm halfway through Flower Moon and I can't put it down.  The backstory is great, but a tad slow.  When the FBI stuff gets going it's incredible.  I hope to finish it tomorrow.  Thanks you all for the rec on this book.  

• 1 year later...

Apparently the head of the Cannes Film Festival has been in Los Angeles recently and the discussion around KOTFM being at Cannes later this year may be true. It was mentioned in summer of '22 that this was a potential selection but that the run time of the movie was causing hesitation. If I recall reading, the movie will be over 3 hours (200 minutes I think?). Cannes wanted him to trim it. *I hope Scorcese said no; it's his piece not theirs.  Cannes is in May, so maybe a general release in fall?

Also, with Brendan Fraser's Academy Award win, I believe the movie will have 3 winners in the cast (De Niro, Dicaprio, Fraser). Jesse Plemons is a nominee, but lost to Troy Kotsur of CODA--it was an amazing year of BSAs.)

*I have no issue with a long ass movie if the movie is executed for the run time in order to present a fully developed and realized story. I also don't mind the old fashioned intermission.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
words

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Apparently the head of the Cannes Film Festival has been in Los Angeles recently and the discussion around KOTFM being at Cannes later this year may be true. It was mentioned in summer of '22 that this was a potential selection but that the run time of the movie was causing hesitation. If I recall reading, the movie will be over 3 hours (200 minutes I think?). Cannes wanted him to trim it. *I hope Scorcese said no; it's his piece not theirs.  Cannes is in May, so maybe a general release in fall?

Also, with Brendan Fraser's Academy Award win, I believe the movie will have 3 winners in the cast (De Niro, Dicaprio, Fraser). Jesse Plemons is a nominee, but lost to Troy Kotsur of CODA--it was an amazing year of BSAs.)

*I have no issue with a long ass movie if the movie is executed for the run time in order to present a fully developed and realized story. I also don't mind the old fashioned intermission.

That's quite a time commitment. If the movie is well made, you won't notice the time. If it's poorly made, 90 minutes can seem like a night in jail.

18 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

That's quite a time commitment. If the movie is well made, you won't notice the time. If it's poorly made, 90 minutes can seem like a night in jail.

Well, you're not wrong, but with the screenplay based on the Grann book, there is so much to get right.

When my parents were alive, they subscribed to both The Tulsa World and The Tulsa Tribune (until combined and there is an interesting story behind those two papers) and were always forwarding articles of books by local authors or regional interest. I read The Deaths of Sybil Bolton by Dennis McAuliffe, Jr. when it came out in 1994 and while it was more of a *personal account (Sybil Bolton was his grandmother) than the latter book upon which the movie is based, thanks to McAuliffe's work and my parents, I was already anticipating the David Grann account, which did not disappoint either.

For those who are not aware of McAuliffe, here is a blurb about him by David Grann, author of KOTFM. The attention Grann's book received helped to reissue the McAuliffe work.

https://lithub.com/the-writer-who-uncovered-crimes-against-his-native-ancestors/

Article:

Spoiler

The Writer Who Uncovered Crimes Against His Native Ancestors--David Grann on Dennis McAuliffe Jr.'s The Deaths of Sybil Bolton

On May 21, 1921, a 34-year-old Osage woman named Anna Brown disappeared from her home in Oklahoma. Like other members of the Osage Nation, she possessed a fortune. In the early 1870s, the Osage had been driven from their lands in Kansas onto a rocky, presumably worthless reservation in northeastern Oklahoma, only to discover, decades later, that this land was sitting above some of the largest oil deposits in the United States. To obtain that oil, prospectors had to pay the Osage for leases and royalties. In one year alone, the two thousand or so registered members of the Osage Nation took in more than $30 million, the equivalent today of more than $400 million. The Osage were considered the wealthiest people per capita in the world.

After Brown disappeared, her family searched everywhere for her. A week later, her body was found in a ravine. She had been shot in the back of the head. Soon after, Anna’s mother, Lizzie, died of suspected poisoning. Then Anna’s younger sister, Rita, and Rita’s husband were killed—their house blown up while they were sleeping. And it wasn’t only this family that was being targeted; other Osage were being systematically slaughtered for their oil money. Although the FBI solved a few of these murders, many were never properly investigated.

In 1991, Dennis McAuliffe Jr., an award-winning journalist and editor at the Washington Post, began to look into one of these suspicious deaths—that of his Osage grandmother, Sybil Bolton. Growing up, McAuliffe had known little about his grandmother, whom a local reporter had described as “one of the most beautiful girls ever reared” in Pawhuska, Oklahoma. In 1925, she was found dead, at the age of only twenty-one. McAuliffe had been told the cause was kidney disease, and so he believed until, one day, he stumbled upon evidence that this was a lie.

Drawing on his well-honed abilities as a reporter, he set out to uncover what really happened to her. He spent years tracking down lost relatives and searching through cluttered archives. His quest led him into an even deeper thicket of lies, one that cloaked the breadth of the Osage Reign of Terror.

Through his remarkable research and compassion, he has shed an essential light on this past. His exquisitely written account, The Deaths of Sybil Bolton, was first published in 1994, and now has thankfully been reprinted in this new edition by the Chicago Review Press. The work contains a moving autobiography along with a true whodunit. And it serves as powerful testimony—testimony of one of the most sinister crimes in American history, which for too long has been erased from official accounts, like the death of Sybil Bolton. McAuliffe has helped to imbed this history where it belongs—in our conscience.

*he spends a fair amount of time wrestling with his own personal demons and that may not be for everybody.

• 2 months later...
  • BigOrange1 changed the title to Killers of the Flower Moon - Scorsese, Dicaprio, De Niro - 10.20.2023 release