Dumbass Shit on Nextdoor

Sbbruin

Guy posted last night that his daughter, who is black, was trick or treating with 3 white friends. One house was handing out full size candy bars and gave them to the 3 white girls, then when it was her turn, someone at the house said "give that one the little ones" and gave her fun size candy. Apparently all 4 girls corroborated the story. 

Among the replies:

Old White Lady

Racism IS awful. I ran out of candy and gave out a little gum with pennies or other coins randomly... when the gum ran out I gave ramen noodle soup. Look at the bright side ... perhaps she is better off if it was the the dark one who got the smaller bar ... less sugar ... better for her health. Better not to make judgements and go over to speak with the woman in a kind way... privately perhaps not here. However it is good idea for us all to be aware of this ... grumbling in front of the kids and here solves no problems or perhaps it could... Thinking to have a kind conversation and passing out big bars is not better anyway ... smaller ones are ... There is simply too much sugar in the american diet. Some people like to give more to the ones they recognize and that is their right if she is running out maybe that was where she was coming from. Who knows.

White Guy
 Eva Haus Sub/Alexander Dr

I just find it a bit hard to believe that someone kept a separate stock of smaller candy bars just for black kids (in costumes, albeit). Just my two cents. Are you sure she didn't eat it, give it away or not go up to the door like the other kids did at that particular house ? I don't personally witness racism happening around me.... never. I'm not saying it doesn't exist. I know it does. But someone going out of their way to shortchange black kids on Halloween sounds insane... I mean, they would actually have to buy different bags of candy just for that purpose. Okay, maybe it happened. That would be one crazy person.

Are there seriously people out there who never witness racist incidents/events? I mean, you can quibble about impacts, intentions, contexts, etc., but to not see it at all in a lot of different places and times requires a level of obliviousness that staggers the imagination.

Who knows why the kid got singled out and short-changed -- for all we know, it was an unfortunate accident of running out / running low at the exactly most awkward moment... but to pretend that it didn't happen at all? That's... odd.

6 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

My NextDoor is blowing up with "suspicious" vehicles, fireworks or gunfire?, unknown persons wearing blue jeans with a grey t-shirt having darker skin and black curly hair, etc.  

I need to move.

In my neighborhood, the answer is always gunfire.

6 hours ago, Okie State said:

Mine was blowing up the other day with a bunch of stay at home wives who feared for their lives when the Centerpoint utilities guy knocked on their door to ask if he could do routine meter checks.

Centerpoint needs to stop sending people of color out.

• Like 1