• 12 small shallots (12 ounces in total), thinly sliced
    • 8 fresh red chiles (fairly mild ones), thinly sliced
    • 12 garlic cloves, crushed
    • 3 tbsp chopped fresh ginger
    • 3 tbsp sweet soy sauce (kecap manis)
    • 3 tbsp light soy sauce
    • 4 tsp dark soy sauce
    • 2 tbsp sugar
    • 5 tbsp coarsely crushed black peppercorns (use a mortar and pestle or a spice grinder)
    • 16 small and thin green onions, cut into 1 1/4-inch segments

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, elfenix said:

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/black-pepper-tofu-365129

Ingredients

• 1 3/4 lbs firm tofu
    • Vegetable oil for frying
    • Cornstarch to dust the tofu
    • 11 tbsp butter
    • 3 tbsp light soy sauce
    • 4 tsp dark soy sauce
    • 2 tbsp sugar
    • 5 tbsp coarsely crushed black peppercorns (use a mortar and pestle or a spice grinder)

I cut way back on the butter and the pepper already.  But 5 Tbsp black pepper is way too much.  I like heat, but even with half that amount, it was like eating a mouthful of pepper.  Couldn't taste anything else.  I was eyeing this version, with half eggplant/half tofu.  https://smittenkitchen.com/2019/08/black-pepper-tofu-and-eggplant/

Edit to add the other two recipes:

http://www.toast-nz.com/2013/05/green-couscous-from-ottolenghis-plenty.html

https://hammertown.com/2012/06/multi-vegetable-paella-from-yotam-ottolenghi/

Edited by lemonlime
  • Like 1

Smashed chickpeas and avocados make a great sandwich filling.  I'm having that this week for lunch.

I use canned chickpeas, ripe avocado, dijon mustard, pickled jalapeno juice, squeeze of lime, and some cut up greens or cabbage for crunch.  Sometimes cilantro as well.

Here's a recipe, but I usually just wing it.  You can do it with any bean.

https://www.feastingathome.com/smashed-chickpea-avocado-sandwich/

• Like 1

Glad you started this. I've been experimenting with some of the instant pot recipes from their book and online. I have also found several of the Gamechangers recipes to be solid.

https://gamechangersmovie.com/recipes/mexican-lentil-soup/

https://gamechangersmovie.com/recipes/mexican-garbanzo-salad/

This one is good but way under seasoned. I doubled the balsamic vinegar and added some salt to the veggies as they were being sautéed.  
https://recipes.instantpot.com/recipe/ratatouille-with-black-olives-and-quinoa/

8 hours ago, Wiler77 said:

These Indian sauces are really good.  They have several flavors. Cook up some veggies, potatoes, and add some beans with this sauce and you are in business.  Had that one day last week.

spacer.png

Quoted for truth. We make Tofu Tikka Masala once a week with their Tikka Masala sauce 

12 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Thanks for starting this thread. Switched to Pescatarian recently and trying to eat more vegetarian stuff as well. Definitely going to make some of that Lentil soup. 

Since you just described my wife, I'm basically eating your diet half the time anyway. Since she has some kind of chemical, DNA level block against eating leftovers and wasting food makes my teeth itch. GLHF. 

11 hours ago, Wiler77 said:

These Indian sauces are really good.  They have several flavors. Cook up some veggies, potatoes, and add some beans with this sauce and you are in business.  Had that one day last week.

spacer.png

They sell that at Trader Joe's pretty cheap, if I remember correctly. Honestly, my biggest hangup eating this way is all the wonderful sauces that would make life easier (and tastier) usually have ingredients in them that make me spit the bit immediately (Vegetable or Canola Oil, added sugars, etc). There's a couple companies out there that make some sauces that are pretty clean, but not surprisingly they're pretty limited. If it's delicious, chances are I'm shit outta luck. 

I'm curious if this thread goes straight clean, or if it devolves into people using impossible ground meat in things. Coscto recently started selling the premade patties, and at a pretty remarkable discount compared to going to HEB when it deigns to be open. 

I adapted a pretty good recipe from a roasted cauliflower appetizer at North. 

I roast cauliflower and other veggies -- root veggies are good, broccoli works, stuff like that.  Toss with a little olive oil, salt and pepper, and oregano.  Roast till browned and done, serve in a shallow bowl.  Then, fry an egg over easy.  While the egg is cooking, I take a little bit of good caesar salad dressing, squeeze a bit of extra lemon in it, and heat it slightly in the microwave (just to get it slighly warm). 

Top the veggies with the fresh fried egg, drizzle some of the dressing mix over the top, then sprinkle some shaved lemon zest on it.  Pop that egg, and you've got a nice creamy "sauce" with a lemon kick.  It's one of our favorite dinners, and it's super easy.

15 hours ago, elfenix said:

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/black-pepper-tofu-365129

Ingredients

• 1 3/4 lbs firm tofu
    • Vegetable oil for frying
    • Cornstarch to dust the tofu
    • 11 tbsp butter
    • 3 tbsp light soy sauce
    • 4 tsp dark soy sauce
    • 2 tbsp sugar

looks and sounds amazing.  11 TB butter, damn.

definitely trying the chickpea dumplings asap.  

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I adapted a pretty good recipe from a roasted cauliflower appetizer at North. 

I roast cauliflower and other veggies -- root veggies are good, broccoli works, stuff like that.  Toss with a little olive oil, salt and pepper, and oregano.  Roast till browned and done, serve in a shallow bowl.  Then, fry an egg over easy.  While the egg is cooking, I take a little bit of good caesar salad dressing, squeeze a bit of extra lemon in it, and heat it slightly in the microwave (just to get it slighly warm). 

Top the veggies with the fresh fried egg, drizzle some of the dressing mix over the top, then sprinkle some shaved lemon zest on it.  Pop that egg, and you've got a nice creamy "sauce" with a lemon kick.  It's one of our favorite dinners, and it's super easy.

caesar dressing is my cheat code for veggie/grain bowls i pack for lunch.

1 minute ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

caesar dressing is my cheat code for veggie/grain bowls i pack for lunch.

Add fresh lemon (and lemon zest -- man, it packs a punch), and a little goes a long way (so, while the dressing ain't so great for you, you can use much less of the actual dressing)

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

They sell that at Trader Joe's pretty cheap, if I remember correctly. Honestly, my biggest hangup eating this way is all the wonderful sauces that would make life easier (and tastier) usually have ingredients in them that make me spit the bit immediately (Vegetable or Canola Oil, added sugars, etc). There's a couple companies out there that make some sauces that are pretty clean, but not surprisingly they're pretty limited. If it's delicious, chances are I'm shit outta luck. 

I'm curious if this thread goes straight clean, or if it devolves into people using impossible ground meat in things. Coscto recently started selling the premade patties, and at a pretty remarkable discount compared to going to HEB when it deigns to be open. 

I hear you.  We typically make our own sauces, but for Indian food, it takes so damn long.  And it's a great way to get our kids to eat some vegetables.  Miraculously, they all like curry.  The ingredient list for the Maya Kaimal curries isn't too offensive.

• Like 1

• 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 pound sweet potatoes (about 2 medium sweet potatoes), peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
  • 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
  • 3 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
  • 1 (1-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated (about 1 tablespoon)
  • 1 red chile, such as Fresno or serrano, halved, seeds and ribs removed, then minced
  • 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
  • 1 cup red lentils, rinsed
  • 4 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
  • 2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more to taste
  • 1 (13-ounce) can full-fat coconut milk
  • 1 (4- to 5-ounce) bag baby spinach
  • ½ lime, juiced
  •  Fresh cilantro leaves, for serving
  •  
  • In a Dutch oven or pot, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high. Add the sweet potatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned all over, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer the browned sweet potatoes to a plate and set aside.
  • Add the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil to the pot and set the heat to medium-low. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, 4 to 6 minutes. Add the curry paste, garlic, ginger, chile and turmeric, and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
  • Add the lentils, stock, salt and browned sweet potatoes to the pot and bring to a boil over high. Lower the heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are just tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
  • Add the coconut milk and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has reduced and the lentils are creamy and falling apart, 15 to 20 minutes.
  • Add the spinach and stir until just wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Off the heat, stir in the lime juice and season with salt to taste.
  • Divide among shallow bowls and top with cilantro and coconut flakes, if using.
  • Like 1

I very much appreciate this thread! Not only do I need to make some changes for my well-being, but for health reasons as well. I don't plan on being veterinarian only, may sound dumb in this thread, but I will use these ideas and recipes for a more healthy living. Love it! Food posted looks amazing! 

Edited by hundredTT
  • Like 1

Is anyone else using the Forks Over Knives meal plan? I just moved to plant based this year and it takes a lot of the guess work out of meal planning and shopping. It seems to have a good variety of options so far and the food is tasty (although I frequently bump up the seasoning). Even my family (not plant based) has enjoyed them as side dishes to their main meal. 

On 1/21/2020 at 8:08 PM, Jack Straw said:
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 pound sweet potatoes (about 2 medium sweet potatoes), peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
  • 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
  • 3 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
  • 1 (1-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated (about 1 tablespoon)
  • 1 red chile, such as Fresno or serrano, halved, seeds and ribs removed, then minced
  • 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
  • 1 cup red lentils, rinsed
  • 4 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
  • 2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more to taste
  • 1 (13-ounce) can full-fat coconut milk
  • 1 (4- to 5-ounce) bag baby spinach
  • ½ lime, juiced
  •  Fresh cilantro leaves, for serving
  •  
  • In a Dutch oven or pot, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high. Add the sweet potatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned all over, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer the browned sweet potatoes to a plate and set aside.
  • Add the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil to the pot and set the heat to medium-low. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, 4 to 6 minutes. Add the curry paste, garlic, ginger, chile and turmeric, and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
  • Add the lentils, stock, salt and browned sweet potatoes to the pot and bring to a boil over high. Lower the heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are just tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
  • Add the coconut milk and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has reduced and the lentils are creamy and falling apart, 15 to 20 minutes.
  • Add the spinach and stir until just wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Off the heat, stir in the lime juice and season with salt to taste.
  • Divide among shallow bowls and top with cilantro and coconut flakes, if using.

This recipe was delicious. We are cooking it again this week

vegetarian SB snacks

spacer.png

white bean hummus and muhammara

spacer.png

baba ganoush

spacer.png

buffalo cauliflower.  homemade ranch kind of sucked, will probably stick with the packet next time lulz.

will pull and post any of the recipes if anyone wants them.  i made pretty big batches of the dips/spreads and will use the leftovers as the bases for lunches throughout the week.   

the white bean hummus and baba ganoush were both "i don't know if I can buy store bought again" level good.  next time i will make tabbouleh to go with the baba ganoush - that would have gone great with it.

• Like 2

spacer.png

dal makhani - served with Trader Joe's paratha, which are excellent 

3/4 cup whole black gram beans (sabat urad)
2 tablespoons adzuki beans or pink beans (choti rajma)
2 tablespoons split chickpeas (chana dal)
1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt, whisked
2 cups finely chopped onions
1 1/2 cups chopped tomatoes 
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh ginger
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
2 teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons sunflower or safflower oil
1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
3/4 teaspoon garam masala
1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt

Combine the legumes with 4 cups water (I used 2 cups water, 2 cups vegetable broth) in a large saucepan and bring to a boil; cook, uncovered, for 2 minutes. Turn off the heat and cover the pot; let the legumes soak for 2 hours.

Add the whole-milk yogurt, 1 cup onions, tomatoes, ginger, turmeric, cardamom, paprika, chili and salt to the pot and bring to a boil once more. Cook, partly covered, over low heat for 90 minutes, or until the dal is very soft. Turn off the heat and purée the dal for about 1 minute; it should be saucy but not soupy.

To make the tadka, heat the oil in a small saucepan over high heat. When the oil is hot, add the remaining cup of onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to soften, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until medium brown. Turn off the heat and stir in the cumin and garam masala.

Transfer the dal to a large bowl and cover with the low-fat yogurt; top with tadka, stir gently and serve.

• Like 3

white bean hummus

• 4 garlic cloves
  • 1 15-ounce can white cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
  • ¼ cup tahini
  •  6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice 
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
  • 1 teaspoon soy sauce
  • 1 teaspoon fish sauce
  •  Kosher salt
  • ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil

Pulse the garlic in a food processor until minced. 

Scrape the bowl and add the beans, tahini, lemon juice, coriander, soy and fish sauce and 1 teaspoon salt. Pulse until smooth, scraping the bowl occasionally. With the machine running, add the olive oil. Season to taste with salt.

*Notes - this makes very garlicky hummus, which is how i like it.  Original recipe called for 1 garlic clove, I used 4.  The original recipe also called for white miso paste (2 teaspoons) and the soy and fish sauce were my substitutes and that worked great.

Edited by Jack Straw
  • Like 1

spacer.png

moong dal

• 1 cup moong dal split mung beans, soaked 2 hours in cold water, drained and rinsed
  • 2 cups vegetable broth
  • 3/4 teaspoon turmeric
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3 tablespoons ghee (or vegetable oil)
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 serrano cut lengthwise
  • 5 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 1/2 large shallot, diced
  • garam masala
  • chile oil
  • Put dal, turmeric and salt in a large pot, add 2 cups vegetable broth and 5 cups water and bring to a gentle boil, stirring.
  • Turn heat to low and cover pot with lid slightly ajar. Check pot and stir frequently - skim off and discard any foam that rises. Cook for about 45 minutes, until quite soft. Taste and adjust salt. For a smooth, velvety consistency, purée dal in a blender, then return to pot. If you prefer texture, just beat with a whisk for a minute or two. 
  • Make the tarka: heat ghee in a small skillet over medium heat. Add cumin, serrano and garlic and cook until cumin is fragrant and garlic is lightly colored, about 1 minute. Add shallot and continue cooking until shallot is softened, about 1 minute more. Pour contents of skillet into pot and stir into the dal.
  • Transfer to individual soup bowls. Sprinkle with a pinch of garam masala and red chile powder and serve with basmati rice

man, this thread has gotten quiet.  come on veggie friendly people, i know you are out there and cooking!

here is an easy and really delicious one - i served it as a main dish the first night then ate the leftovers as a side with lentils and naan a couple nights later 

spacer.png

aloo matar 

Ingredients:
2 cups chopped potato cubes
2/3 cup fresh or frozen green peas
1 large onion, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced or crushed
1-2 green chilis, finely chopped
1/2 tablespoon grated ginger
2-3 tomato, crushed or finely chopped (i used a can of petite diced)
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds 
1 teaspoon ground coriander  
1/2 teaspoon red chili powder 
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder 
2 tablespoons sunflower/safflower oil
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
salt
water/vegetable broth

Heat oil in a skillet over medium flame and add cumin seeds in it. When they begin to splutter, add finely chopped onion and sauté until onion turns light brown. Add minced garlic, chopped green chili and grated ginger, sauté for 30 seconds.

Add and mix tomato.

Stir and cook until oil starts to separate for approx. 2-3 minutes.

Add cubed potatoes, turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder and salt.

Stir and cook for 3-4 minutes.
Add 1/2 cup water and let it boil. Reduce flame to low and cook covered for 7-8 minutes. Stir in between 2 times to prevent sticking.
Add 1/2 cup water (or vegetable broth) and let it boil. Reduce flame to low and cook covered for ~10 minutes. Stir in between 2-times to prevent sticking.
Add green peas and another 1/3 cup water (or vegetable broth) and mix well.

Cover with the lid and cook until potatoes and peas are fully cooked and almost moisture is absorbed (about 15 minutes). Add more water if required and stir occasionally in between to avoid sticking.

Turn off the heat and add freshly chopped cilantro 
  • Like 1

Best vegetarian Cuban black bean recipe I've found. We serve it over rice. I double the stock.

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/cuban-style-black-beans-4283

YIELD
Serves 6 to 8

INGREDIENTS

• 1/4 cup olive oil
    • 1 large onion, chopped
    • 1 large green bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
    • 6 large garlic cloves, chopped
    • 1 tablespoon dried oregano
    • 3 15- to 16-ounce cans black beans, rinsed, drained
    • 3/4 cup canned vegetable broth or water
    • 1 1/2 tablespoons cider vinegar
    • 1 teaspoon sugar (optional)

PREPARATION

1. Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, garlic and oregano and sauté until vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add 1 cup of beans to pan. Using back of fork, mash beans coarsely. Add remaining beans, broth and vinegar and simmer until mixture thickens and flavors blend, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes. Mix in sugar, if desired. Season beans to taste with salt and pepper and serve.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP
  • Like 1

On 1/21/2020 at 9:24 PM, Neonmoon said:

This was pretty good. Recommend cooking chickpeas down to preferred consistency. I prefer mushy. We also skipped the apricots. Didn’t see the point. 

https://www.cocooncooks.com/blog-en/quick-easy-chickpea-curry

It is the sweet counter to the savory.  You could go with red bell pepper or sweet potato instead of apricots but the apricots would be true to Middle East cooking. 

Simmering with a small serrano in it for about 15 minutes would give it a subtle heat. Throw the pepper in whole and take it out 15-20 minutes later.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP
  • Like 1

On 2/20/2020 at 7:25 AM, topochico said:

Interested in the Buffalo Cauliflower recipe if you can post it. 

here you go - super easy

~2/1 ratio of melted butter to Frank's Red Hot Sauce, add garlic (or garlic powder) and lemon juice to taste, and salt if the butter is unsalted

Heat the oven top 375 and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.

Make your buffalo sauce.

Toss the cauliflower florets in the buffalo sauce and transfer to the prepared baking sheet.

Bake for approximately 25 minutes, or until the inside is tender and outside is crispy.

• Like 1

This was delicious. https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/tofu-vegetable-stir-fry-recipe-2118824

Tofu vegetable stir fry 

Thoughts: We subbed sweet peas for snow peas. We put too much ginger for out taste buds. Probably my fault. Might also cut back the Asian Chile sauce a scoach. And increase the Hoisin sauce. 

• Like 1

Made tofu fried rice the other night.  If you like the texture of deep fried tofu more so than the soft, regular type, the air fryer works very well.  Press the tofu a bit to get as much water out as possible, cube, toss in a little oil and air fry.  

• Like 1

At the request of a friend we tried Green Vegetarian Cuisine on Chimney Rock the other day.  Not sure what a kosher/vegan Korean Fajita burrito was going to taste like.  It was surprisingly damn good.  I'm not sure how "healthy" it was but the taste was excellent.  

spacer.png

punjabi rajma masala

damn good, lots going on, but kind of a lot of work.  made 4 different meals so it was worth it.

• 2 Cups Kidney Beans 
• 1 Bay Leaf 
• 1 Cinnamon Stick 
• Salt To Taste
• 2 Onions, Blend Into A Paste
• 1 Cup Tomato Puree
• Oil 4 Tablespoons
• 2 Tablespoons Green Chili Paste (1 Inch Ginger, 4 Large Garlic Cloves, 2 Green Chilies)
• 2 Dried Red Chilies 
• 3 Cloves 
• 4 Peppercorns 
• 1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds
• 1 Black Cardamom 
• 1 Tsp Coriander Powder 
• 1 Teaspoon Cumin Powder 
• 1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder 
• 1/2 Tsp Turmeric Powder 
• 1 Teaspoons Garam Masala Powder
• 2 Tablespoons Dried Fenugreek Leaves
• 1 Tablespoon, Fresh Cilantro Leaves Chopped
• Water/Vegetable Broth

1. Heat 3 tablespoons of oil/ghee in a pan on medium heat.
2. Once the oil is hot add the dried red chilies, cloves, peppercorns, black cardamom, and cumin seeds.
3. Sautee for a minute.
4. Add the onion paste and sauté for 3-4 minutes or until they are light brown.
5. Add the green chili and ginger-garlic paste and sauté for 2 minutes.
6. Now add the coriander powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder, red chili powder and mix well.
7. Add 1/4 cup of water and mix well.
8. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
9. Add the tomato puree and mix well again.
10. Let it cook for 10 -15 minutes on medium-low heat. Stir occasionally.
11. Tomato masala is ready when there is no raw smell and oil starts oozing from the sides.
12. Add this tomato masala to the boiled rajma and mix well.
13. Cook for 2 more minutes.
14. Add the reserved water/broth, garam masala powder, fenugreek leaves, and mix well. (Add more salt if needed.)
15. Cook on medium heat for 10+ minutes.
16. Add chopped coriander leaves and stir well again. Cook for 5 more minutes.
17. The curry will thicken up at this stage. (Adjust the consistency to your liking.)
18. Mash the beans slightly using a spatula mix well again. Turn off the heat.
19. Garnish with coriander leaves, 

• Like 1