Foreign actors you admire

Zombie

I've done a few recent trips to Argentina and started getting into Argentine cinema where I can find it on Amazon and Netflix. I came across a Spain/Argentina movie called Truman with an Argentine actor named Ricardo Darin and really appreciated his performance. He has a cinematic and charismatic quality that is hard to define, he is just very enjoyable to watch. Since I saw that first movie with him, I've found 5 or 6 other movies he's in that I've likewise enjoyed. Anyhow, I thought it would be interesting to start a thread to learn of actors from other countries that might not be especially known by American cinema viewers that would be worth knowing about and whose movies we should seek out. 

14 hours ago, Zombie said:

I've done a few recent trips to Argentina and started getting into Argentine cinema where I can find it on Amazon and Netflix. I came across a Spain/Argentina movie called Truman with an Argentine actor named Ricardo Darin and really appreciated his performance. He has a cinematic and charismatic quality that is hard to define, he is just very enjoyable to watch. Since I saw that first movie with him, I've found 5 or 6 other movies he's in that I've likewise enjoyed. Anyhow, I thought it would be interesting to start a thread to learn of actors from other countries that might not be especially known by American cinema viewers that would be worth knowing about and whose movies we should seek out. 

Darin is one of my favorite actors. “El secreto de sus ojos” (the secret in their eyes), “El hijo de la novia” (son of the bride), “Un cuento chino” (Chinese takeout), “El aura” 

16 hours ago, Zombie said:

a thread to learn of actors from other countries that might not be especially known by American cinema viewers that would be worth knowing about and whose movies we should seek out. 

3 hours ago, 52-80 said:

mads mikkelsen

jeremy irons

felicity jones

emily blunt

daniel muthafucking day lewis

kate beckinsale

charles dance

bill nighy

rose byrne (so hot right now)

nailed it.  

my real contribution is the two guys from y tu mama tambien.  of course, diego luna was a main character in a star wars movie, so its not like he is still trying to break through.  but I liked him before that and was pleased when he was cast in such a blockbuster movie.  gael garcia bernal was the voice of the dad in coco.  i think because y tu mama tabien was so big here (as far as foreign language films go), people thought bernal would be a legit A-lister. hasn't really worked out that way but I still like him.

30 minutes ago, Zombie said:

Alicia Vikander is my dream girl. Her accent drives me crazy. 

images.jpeg

true story, i was walking into the hemingway bar at the ritz in paris after a day of watching our boys get their asses crushed in ryder cup in 2018 and alicia vikander walks up to get a seat as well with two outlandishly dressed folks.  ended up sitting next to her group for a little while.  she is so much fucking hotter in person that it isn't funny.  like most, i was introduced to her from ex machina and was struck by her attractiveness but after seeing her in person, much greater appreciation for how stunning she was.  very charming conversationalist as well. 

did not have sex with her unfortunately.

4 hours ago, Underdog said:

Oops, scratch Viggo, thought for sure he was foreign born.  

Yeah I had to look that up.  Born in the US, raised in South America until he was 11, and then back to the US.  I'd say we get to count him as one of ours.  If South America has a problem with that, fucking bring it on.