Bo Pelini to the SEC?

TexasBuckeye

Bo Pelini considering a return to the SEC

Youngstown State Head Football Coach Bo Pelini is under consideration for the defensive coordinator job at LSU.

In five seasons at YSU, Pelini has led the Penguins to a record of 33-28. He led the program to an appearance in the 2016 FCS National Championship game. Pelini is no stranger to the LSU program. He was the Tigers’ defensive coordinator from 2005 to 2007.

His multi million dollar contract with Nebraska must be finished and he needs a big time contract. Youngstown State was paying him $200,000 per year while NU was paying his contract with them.

4 minutes ago, mulletpelini said:

Pretty sure Nebraska was done paying him about 3 years ago.

"On November 30, 2014, after the conclusion of the regular season, Pelini was fired by Nebraska Director of Athletics Shawn Eichorst, effective immediately. The University is contracted to pay Pelini $7.65 million in salary following his termination in the form of $150,000 monthly payments for the next 51 months. The total liquidation to be paid to Pelini is roughly $7.9 million." (wikipedia)

So Nebraska's payments ended March 1, 2019. Still not a bad payday.

I think Bo is a below average head coach, an average recruiter and a phenomenal defensive coordinator.  If you give that guy great athletic talent (which LSU gets plenty of close to home) then he's great at building a defense that will force you into making a lot of mistakes.  He did it twice at Nebraska, building two different defenses that could really shut people down when executed properly.  They were paper thin though, and if you had injuries, you had problems.  LSU for decades has seemed to have an endless supply of really athletic defensive players, so they can take a hit or two, and sub in some young talent if they need to because they have it.

Hell, being the DC at LSU probably pays better than 75% if not more of the HC gigs in FBS anyways.  You've got all that talent locally and a HC that you can have communication problems with and no one would even question you for it.  Seems like a no brainer if the decision is up to BP

• 2 weeks later...

Pelini's biggest sin was not buying into any of the Nebraska fans' self proclaimed "Best Fans in College Football" hype.  That exact moment happened when Nebraska fans booed during halftime of Bo's comeback win against OSU.  He disgustedly waved off the boo birds and went on to win the game, but that led to his secretly recorded rant and an irreparable schism that never healed.  Nebraska fans see themselves as the centerpiece of Nebraska football and are okay with the likes of a Mike Riley quality coach as long as he kisses their collective @sses as a perquisite for staying on their good side.

Me?  I think Pelini often lets his temper and lack of self control get the better of him, but he is more genuine than the "Best Fans in College Football" up here.  He wanted out of Nebraska but wanted to keep Nebraska's money, so he packed the U-Haul and baited Eichorst into firing him.  He then settled down to coach at Youngstown so his kids could attend school there while he sucked up Husker money.  

To this day, most Nebraska fans don't realize Pelini gave them the finger AND the shaft...as well as nine wins a season.  But those nine season wins don't count if the guy who gives them to you doesn't like you.

Edited by Cornfusion
  • Like 1

I used to admire Nebraska fans devotion to their team until they showed what hypocritical lying pieces of shit they are for complaining about and blaming Texas, while at the same time angling for many of the same things Texas wanted from the conference. Bunch of wheat field rubes.

• Like 1

I used to admire Nebraska fans devotion to their team 

The team is actually just the backdrop used by Nebraska fans to highlight their own self idolization.  Nebraska fans worship their sellout streak more than their national championships, because that puts them in the spotlight.

My wife's coworker came to work in Nebraska with a PhD in Agriculture from Purdue.  She jumped at a chance to go to the Nebraska Purdue game at Lincoln in 2018.  She said said the Husker fans were nice before the game but acted like sh!theads after they lost.  She said she would never go to a game at Memorial Stadium again.

I love Nebraska football, but I despise the majority of the fan base.

Edited by Cornfusion

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-dan-capron-big-ten-referee-20200208-k4s5uw4iujb5naot76qjj2eufe-story.html

He’s still not the worst coach. The worst coach I’ve ever worked for, ever, not even close, no one within 10 miles, is Bo Pelini. (laughs)

I had Purdue at Nebraska. Darrell Hazell was at Purdue. Total gentleman. Nebraska was heavily favored, but it was a very close game. Nebraska had the ball, and the quarterback muffed the snap from center and there was a big pileup. And so now the umpire is digging in there to see who has the ball. I’m standing back. I don’t get involved in those. All you need is for somebody to stand up with their helmet and clock you in the jaw, and it could kill you.

My umpire looks at me and I swear he says, “White ball.” Meaning Purdue. Nebraska is in red. I step out and I point: Purdue ball. Simultaneous with me, my center judge points the other way. Nebraska’s ball. Now we are convicted of being idiots. No matter what else happens, we are the three stooges.

We get together. I say, “You just said ‘white ball.’ ” He says, “No, I said ‘red ball.’ ” Look, let’s be clear: Who recovered the ball? Nebraska, Nebraska, Nebraska. No (official) has Purdue.

Unbeknownst to me, Coach Pelini is over there on the sideline going crazy. I step out and announce: The ruling on the field is that the loose ball was recovered by Nebraska. It will be second down and 10 at the such-and-such yard line. As I turn to the Nebraska sideline, he is pointing at me, screaming at the top of his lungs, “I’ll have your job!” The moment “job” was out of his mouth, my flag hit its apex. So now there’s 15 yards against Nebraska.

The game goes on uneventfully, and Nebraska ends up winning. We go in the locker room and I say to my guys, “Do you think I should call Bill (Carollo)?” because he always wants to know about anything controversial. He doesn’t want to get blindsided. The consensus was better to be safe than sorry. Give Bill a call.

I take out my cellphone and call the command center. I ask for Bill. I hear: “Hang on, he’s on the phone with Pelini.” The game wasn’t over for four minutes!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-dan-capron-big-ten-referee-20200208-k4s5uw4iujb5naot76qjj2eufe-story.html

He’s still not the worst coach. The worst coach I’ve ever worked for, ever, not even close, no one within 10 miles, is Bo Pelini. (laughs)

I had Purdue at Nebraska. Darrell Hazell was at Purdue. Total gentleman. Nebraska was heavily favored, but it was a very close game. Nebraska had the ball, and the quarterback muffed the snap from center and there was a big pileup. And so now the umpire is digging in there to see who has the ball. I’m standing back. I don’t get involved in those. All you need is for somebody to stand up with their helmet and clock you in the jaw, and it could kill you.

My umpire looks at me and I swear he says, “White ball.” Meaning Purdue. Nebraska is in red. I step out and I point: Purdue ball. Simultaneous with me, my center judge points the other way. Nebraska’s ball. Now we are convicted of being idiots. No matter what else happens, we are the three stooges.

We get together. I say, “You just said ‘white ball.’ ” He says, “No, I said ‘red ball.’ ” Look, let’s be clear: Who recovered the ball? Nebraska, Nebraska, Nebraska. No (official) has Purdue.

Unbeknownst to me, Coach Pelini is over there on the sideline going crazy. I step out and announce: The ruling on the field is that the loose ball was recovered by Nebraska. It will be second down and 10 at the such-and-such yard line. As I turn to the Nebraska sideline, he is pointing at me, screaming at the top of his lungs, “I’ll have your job!” The moment “job” was out of his mouth, my flag hit its apex. So now there’s 15 yards against Nebraska.

The game goes on uneventfully, and Nebraska ends up winning. We go in the locker room and I say to my guys, “Do you think I should call Bill (Carollo)?” because he always wants to know about anything controversial. He doesn’t want to get blindsided. The consensus was better to be safe than sorry. Give Bill a call.

I take out my cellphone and call the command center. I ask for Bill. I hear: “Hang on, he’s on the phone with Pelini.” The game wasn’t over for four minutes!

Best Pelini moment was a few years back at Youngstown State he went into a 15 minute continual meltdown, cost his team the game, and the police had to remove him.  

Angry turtle.

Great find and that whole article is worth a read.