The Next Texas Longhorns Basketball Head Coach

GreenspointTexas

2 minutes ago, txhorns said:

Give Beard whatever he wants.  Who cares what it takes.

Lmao. We should have done that last fucking year before he signed an extension/huge buyout. But posters on here say our university is apparently broke as fuck and cant pay a measly 20mil

instead, old erwin center is empty for 2 seasons and new moody center will likely be empty for 3

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

The bar is really low.  Brad Underwood. 

Why would he take a demotion if he’s not getting fired? 

I think they have to a Randy Bennett type run. I don’t see any big name or school coach coming to the tire fire that’s 2nd (or 3rd if baseball starts not sucking lol yea sure) most important on campus.

Edited by The Ace of Aces
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/20/2020 at 6:32 PM, immortal13 said:

I'd take Kevin Sumlin at this point.

Calvin Sampson could work too.  You’ll win a lot of games but want to pour acid in your eyes watching that style.  

And we know it’s Kelvin, but he gets annoyed af being called Calvin...so Calvin it is.  

• Like 1

I still think Musselman would be a good idea, and he's done a damn fine job of answering the questions that everyone had about his ability to coach defense in a major conference. He's got Arkansas at #14 nationally in AdjD, but wait, there's more: the razorbacks are 27th in effective fg%, 15th in TO%, 1st nationally in 3P% defense, and 15th in steal %. Musselman deserves a shot at this job, and I would love to poach him from Arkie and watch him thrive at Texas. 

3 hours ago, lateshow said:

Grant McCasland. Currently the head coach at UNT.

seriously Clark

Season Team Overall Conference Standing Postseason
Arkansas State Red Wolves (Sun Belt Conference) (2016–2017)
2016–17 Arkansas State 20–12 11–7 T–3rd  
Arkansas State: 20–12 (.625) 11–7 (.611)  
North Texas Mean Green (Conference USA) (2017–present)
2017–18 North Texas 20–18 8–10 T–7th CBI Champions
2018–19 North Texas 21–12 8–10 T–9th  
North Texas: 41–30 (.577) 16–20 (.444)  
Total: 61–42 (.592)  

Kevin Willard is nowhere near our list of candidates. Hiring Kevin Willard would be just as dumb and ineffectual as hiring Shaka. This is like when icono suggested that we replace Rick Barnes with Fran Dunphy, simply because he (icono) is from Philly. I have to assume that you have some connection to Willard and/or Seton Hall, because why the fuck else would you make such a lazy and stupid suggestion? 

You aren't alone, btw. People keep doing this shit every so often. Some guy who never posts here pops in and says, "What about this young, unproven coach who is finally doing pretty well at (random school that's nowhere near the import/stature/pressure of Texas job)? Why don't we go get him?" Because he's less proven than Shaka? Fucking Christ, do you work at Bellmont? Do you even give a shit if Texas basketball is good? Your idea is bad and you should feel bad. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

13 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Kevin Willard is nowhere near our list of candidates. Hiring Kevin Willard would be just as dumb and ineffectual as hiring Shaka. This is like when icono suggested that we replace Rick Barnes with Fran Dunphy, simply because he (icono) is from Philly. I have to assume that you have some connection to Willard and/or Seton Hall, because why the fuck else would you make such a lazy and stupid suggestion? 

You aren't alone, btw. People keep doing this shit every so often. Some guy who never posts here pops in and says, "What about this young, unproven coach who is finally doing pretty well at (random school that's nowhere near the import/stature/pressure of Texas job)? Why don't we go get him?" Because he's less proven than Shaka? Fucking Christ, do you work at Bellmont? Do you even give a shit if Texas basketball is good? Your idea is bad and you should feel bad. 

I'm first and foremost a Rutgers fan, so naturally I pay attention to basketball in Jersey. Also, you're overestimating the stature and importance of the Texas basketball job compared to that of Seton Hall. They have very high expectations there (though not quite as high as UT's). 

I understand you wanting someone with more success, but who do you think Texas could actually pull according to your criteria? If I just go down the kenpom rankings and don't stop until I find someone reasonably attainable who meets your expectations, Dana Altman is the first stop. I'm not sure he's even attainable though, so I guess Musselman is the next stop. Arkansas would fight hard for him, and I think they'd win out. 

It'll be fun to watch Rutgers play in the tournament while Texas sits at home. I guess you don't care though because Steve Pikiell is just some plucky, unproven coach with less success than Shaka so far. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

I'm first and foremost a Rutgers fan, so naturally I pay attention to basketball in Jersey. Also, you're overestimating the stature and importance of the Texas basketball job compared to that of Seton Hall. They have very high expectations there (though not quite as high as UT's). 

I understand you wanting someone with more success, but who do you think Texas could actually pull according to your criteria? If I just go down the kenpom rankings and don't stop until I find someone reasonably attainable who meets your expectations, Dana Altman is the first stop. I'm not sure he's even attainable though, so I guess Musselman is the next stop. Arkansas would fight hard for him, and I think they'd win out. 

It'll be fun to watch Rutgers play in the tournament while Texas sits at home. I guess you don't care though because Steve Pikiell is just some plucky, unproven coach with less success than Shaka so far. 

He's been a D-1 head coach for 12 years and he's never even finished 2nd in his conference. He's 1-3 in the NCAA tournament. He has a .562 career winning %. He's nowhere near qualified for the job, no more so than that awesome UNT suggestion up the page. This is the basketball equivalent of the Westlake goofballs seriously suggesting that UT hire Westlake's coaches. It's a joke.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

He's been a D-1 head coach for 12 years and he's never even finished 2nd in his conference. He's 1-3 in the NCAA tournament. He has a .562 career winning %. He's nowhere near qualified for the job, no more so than that awesome UNT suggestion up the page. This is the basketball equivalent of the Westlake goofballs seriously suggesting that UT hire Westlake's coaches. It's a joke.

I get that he hasn't hard tournament success so far, but he's still just 44 and is growing as a coach. I really want to know who you think deserves to be UT's next coach. He has to have already had tournament success while also being attainable.

28 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

I get that he hasn't hard tournament success so far, but he's still just 44 and is growing as a coach. I really want to know who you think deserves to be UT's next coach. He has to have already had tournament success while also being attainable.

check the record- i don't give 1/10 of a shit about tourney success as the rest of you do. it's mostly a crap shoot for the first two weekends, and then it's the same group of characters left at he end. Freaking Tom Izzo hasn't won the NCAA Tournament in 20 years. shaggy would fire him for that. 

meanwhile the list of guys who have won it all remains a "who's who" of college basketball coaches, with only one real outlier. its a small-ish group of legendary coaches and then randomly Kevin Ollie. We aren't hiring anyone who has actually won the thing, and therefore i don't care about a coach's tourney record so long as it isn't flat out awful. as long as Texas is competitive in the Big XII and present in the tourney on a near-annual basis then everyone should be happy.

As far as candidates go, Ive been posting the names of potential candidates who i'd like to see considered for years here, to the point where any regular poster should probably be able to quote it name by name. I even started a thread about it before this one was made. and then just a little up the page I mentioned Eric Musselman again, who is 100x more qualified than this random Seton Hall guy with fewer skins on the wall than Shaka had at VCU. still i've got some Rutgers fan in here incredulously asking me for my crazy, fantastical, unattainable list of candidates who are more qualified than Millard Fillmore, or whoever the guy is. Gee, I dunno (flips through phone book and lands on random page). Almost anyone?

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

check the record- i don't give 1/10 of a shit about tourney success as the rest of you do. it's mostly a crap shoot for the first two weekends, and then it's the same group of characters left at he end. Freaking Tom Izzo hasn't won the NCAA Tournament in 20 years despite being the fucking man. meanwhile the list of tourney winners over that time remains a "who's who" of college basketball coaches, with only one real outlier. its a small-ish group of legendary coaches and then randomly Kevin Ollie. We aren't hiring anyone who has actually won the thing, and therefore i don't care about a coach's tourney record so long as it isn't flat out awful. because as long as Texas is competitive in the Big XII and in the tourney on a near-annual basis then everyone should be happy.

Ive been posting the names of potential candidates who i'd like to see considered for years here, to the point where any regular poster should probably be able to quote it name by name. I eve started a thread about it not too long ago. yet now i've got some Rutgers fan in here incredulously asking me for my crazy, fantastical, unattainable list of candidates who are more qualified than Millard Fillmore, or whoever the guy is. Gee, I dunno (flips through phone book and lands on random page). Almost anyone?

So you know who the potential candidates are, but can't take a minute to list them? Strange. Go tell any college basketball fan around the country that Texas is too good for scrub coaches like Kevin Willard, and they'll laugh at you.

By the way, John Beilein wants nothing to do with Texas.

I've taken many minutes to post the names many times, im just not going to do it all over again simply because you need proof that there are better candidates than Wilford Brimley or whatever his name is. I'm 100% certain that you can find literally dozens of my posts on the matter with minimal effort. 

Sure, but I don't care enough to comb through tens of pages of your pots to find those names. You seem confident about these people, so I'm sure thinking of three would be no trouble. Also, Kevin Willard has done better in the past five years than Rick Barnes ever did at Providence and Clemson. He's going to win the Big East this year, while Barnes never finished higher than 4th in either the Big East or ACC.

23 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

Poor thing, your precious Rick Barnes accomplished much less pre-Texas than a loser like Kevin Willard. Clearly that drives you insane.

lol, wow. i'm "driven insane" by Rick Barnes' lack of accomplishments pre-Texas, specifically in comparison to Kevin Willis' jaw dropping career thus far at Iona and Seton Hall. yeah, that's the ticket. 

funny how often this happens on here. one day i'm actually posting about how Rick Barnes' record before Texas didn't scream "hire me"(see here), the next day some guy is butthurtedly telling me that i feel otherwise, all because his own dumb take is so dumb. 

13 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

lol, wow. i'm "driven insane" by Rick Barnes' lack of accomplishments pre-Texas, specifically in comparison to Kevin Willis' jaw dropping career thus far at Iona and Seton Hall. yeah, that's the ticket. 

funny how often this happens on here. one day i'm actually posting about how Rick Barnes' record before Texas didn't scream "hire me"(see here), the next day some guy is butthurtedly telling me that i feel otherwise, all because his own dumb take is so dumb. 

I apologize for not memorizing each one of your 10,841 posts. It's strange how the most successful coach in UT basketball history wasn't up to your standards when he was hired. It's almost like your opinion on this means very little.

Also, Buzz Williams would never leave A&M for Texas. After this year, Willard will have a better resume than Wojo at Marquette. I guess down-on-his-luck Kevin will just stay in Jersey and continue to run a program superior to UT's. Hell, Steve Pikiell will have Rutgers in a better place than UT for the foreseeable future.

43 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Will Billy Donovan be available??

He could sure improve the Texas Basketball program...

we were all hoping that OKC would suck this year, but unfortunately they rid themselves of their cancer and are actually doing much better than expected now, so he's off the table. if only they had held on to Russ, we might have had a shot at him. 

12 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

Have to think mussleman is the most obvious and available candidate. Beard, Bennett, and wright are an absolute pipe dream. Mussleman is cocky enough to jump to a rival and bigger job. No chance arky could hold onto him. 

yeah if we're serious at all then we'll at least go after Beard, Wright, Few, Bennett, etc, but when it comes to more realistic candidates you're looking at Musselman, Ben Howland, Leonard Hamilton, Wojo, or even Gregg Marshall, who i still hope we don't hire. 

Even offering a national championship winning coach is worthless and if it gets out then you look desperate. I know you kinda are desperate but you don’t want it known that your actual hire is 6th in the list. That sets a tone that Texas is dead. Even if it is, that tells recruits to stay away because you as a program aren’t even happy with your coach. It’s just a bad way to set the culture. Bennett and Wright aren’t going anywhere. Especially since they have recently won championships. Howland wouldn’t be terrible but he’s getting old. Hamilton is in his 70s. Beard has proven he can win at tech and now the recruits are coming in. He needs a few years to cool off before he would be convinced he has to move to win. If UL was given a harsh penalty then Mack would be the guy. I think you’re going to arky or maybe somewhere like Creighton if things get dicey. That would be a shit hire though. Marshall would rub fans the wrong way real quick. He’s basically the bo pelini of basketball and his wife gets so drunk at games she gets kicked out. 

another bad thing about it getting out that the top 3 reject you is that you’re going to be deleveraged in your negotiation with the guy you do get. Imagine getting Shaka 2.0 and having to pay him even more because he knows you don’t really like him.