The Next Texas Longhorns Basketball Head Coach

GreenspointTexas

17 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

Even offering a national championship winning coach is worthless and if it gets out then you look desperate. I know you kinda are desperate but you don’t want it known that your actual hire is 6th in the list. That sets a tone that Texas is dead. Even if it is, that tells recruits to stay away because you as a program aren’t even happy with your coach. It’s just a bad way to set the culture. Bennett and Wright aren’t going anywhere. Especially since they have recently won championships. Howland wouldn’t be terrible but he’s getting old. Hamilton is in his 70s. Beard has proven he can win at tech and now the recruits are coming in. He needs a few years to cool off before he would be convinced he has to move to win. If UL was given a harsh penalty then Mack would be the guy. I think you’re going to arky or maybe somewhere like Creighton if things get dicey. That would be a shit hire though. Marshall would rub fans the wrong way real quick. He’s basically the bo pelini of basketball and his wife gets so drunk at games she gets kicked out. 

another bad thing about it getting out that the top 3 reject you is that you’re going to be deleveraged in your negotiation with the guy you do get. Imagine getting Shaka 2.0 and having to pay him even more because he knows you don’t really like him. 

While some of your comments make sense, it's hard to trust since you're a Jhawk...

CDC hopefully can maneuver through the difficulty of drawing a great basketball coach to Texas... He should go after a younger coach than Howland or Hamilton for sure.  Hopefully Texas gets a coach with at least as much ability as Buzz at Aggy...

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

On 2/7/2020 at 8:18 PM, ButtFumble said:

seriously Clark

Season Team Overall Conference Standing Postseason
Arkansas State Red Wolves (Sun Belt Conference) (2016–2017)
2016–17 Arkansas State 20–12 11–7 T–3rd  
Arkansas State: 20–12 (.625) 11–7 (.611)  
North Texas Mean Green (Conference USA) (2017–present)
2017–18 North Texas 20–18 8–10 T–7th CBI Champions
2018–19 North Texas 21–12 8–10 T–9th  
North Texas: 41–30 (.577) 16–20 (.444)  
Total: 61–42 (.592)  

Look at his record before he came to Arkansas State, and look at the state of the programs that he took over. He's a damn fine basketball coach. 

• Like 1

Texas always has my heart. As an SFA alum, the last time out I called for Texas to look at Underwood (after all, he had beaten Shaka & VCU in the NCAA tourney). Underwood has Illini #2 in Big Ten, but he’s signed thru 2023.

I would say, leave Kyle Keller alone, but he will leave SFA as soon as the big boys come calling. It might as well be to Texas.  

Hook ‘em, Jacks; Axe ‘em, Horns! 

Edited by Mossyhorn
  • Like 2

Underwood is probably at Illinois to close out his career. I would definitely check with him, though. 

At this point my wish list is only as long as "no college retreads" and "no one whose best qualification is he's a former NBA All-Star". So I don't want to see Kevin Willard or the Texas equivalent of Juwan Howard on the short list. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, lateshow said:

Look at his record before he came to Arkansas State, and look at the state of the programs that he took over. He's a damn fine basketball coach. 

Arkansas State was not great the couple of years before he took over for them and his single season there, but they won 19 games a season in 2 seasons two years before he took over there and won 20 games

after he left they had a drop off, but their current coach is now 15-7 which is better than north Texas state is currently doing and even winning 20 and 21 games in his prior two seasons at north Texas state he was still 8-10 in CUSA both of those years....and CUSA is hardly murderers row so he was clearly beating a lot of dog shit in the OOC and then finishing in the lower half of a conference that is not all that great in BB

and while north Texas state sucks at pretty much all things athletic and has for a long long time they still have occasional runs to slightly above meh like for instance with Johnny Jones that had a much longer history at north Texas state and better accomplishments overall (with yes a longer record) and then went to his alma mater LSU  (which at the time the SEC SEC SEC was not as good as it is now and now it is still not close to the Big 12) and he met the peter principle and was let go....and now he is doing "well" at TSU....but of course he is beating a lot of dog shit to do so

Texas is at a pretty critical time in a lot of sports including mens BB that might be near the top of the critical list.....now is not the time to gamble on a coach that had one good season at stAte and a couple of 20 win seasons and bottom half of the cUSA finishes under his belt

if that is all Texas can come up with then fuck it do like the post above and hire Keller from Stephen F. Austin that at least has his teams winning big games and being highly competitive in others and in the upper half of the conference most years and made the NCAAs

or hell Danny Kasper that has the same types of seasons at SFA and prior to that Incarnate Word and now at TxState (after getting it straightened out)......but then there is always Brad Underwood and the peter principle playing out when you go after these lower level coaches that have success at smaller schools based on "well that place sucks so if they won there"

or you can go after Scott Cross.....again with a much longer track record than the current north Texas state coach

Keller, Kasper, or Cross would all have the same or better track record (really all 3 have a better one)......but as we can see from Jones and Underwood they also have a big big risk or proving the peter principle

Texas cannot and should not go that route

• Like 1

2 hours ago, InformedPartyy said:

The Texas basketball program: The fat chick at the party wearing booty shorts and belly shirt that believes she can have whoever she wants. 

objective audience: your program is trash and no respectable power 5 coach is coming. Go try out the south land conference and maybe get Lamar’s hc on the cheap.

holy shit. you spent time signing up to post that?  you are a special kind of dumb. you need to hit up the B&E blitz sometime.  you'd fit right in.

4 hours ago, DanTheHorn said:

I would be OK with a Tom Penders equivalent that comes in here and revives the program from the ashes instantly. I know a Tom Penders type can't get us there but damn we need excitement right away.

I like this; I just don’t know who out there is running this program now: high-pressure D, that likes to fun & gun and hit 100 points most nights.

The Texas basketball program: The fat chick at the party wearing booty shorts and belly shirt that believes she can have whoever she wants. 

objective audience: your program is trash and no respectable power 5 coach is coming. Go try out the south land conference and maybe get Lamar’s hc on the cheap.

9562c0f42e1751856f21fcf02e62cbbf.jpg

You would. I would. We all would
  • Like 2

I like this; I just don’t know who out there is running this program now: high-pressure D, that likes to fun & gun and hit 100 points most nights.

Well we thought we were getting some of this, but then he decided to abandon his coaching philosophy upon landing in Austin.

46 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Well we thought we were getting some of this, but then he decided to abandon his coaching philosophy upon landing in Austin.

reminds me of the famous Norm McDonald interview on Conan, when Conan is talking to CTS about Carrot Top doing his first major film. 

"And he uses a lot of props?"

"No, no props in the movie."

"Oh they took away his props; kind of a bad time to take away everything you know about comedy."

I’d love to see us hire a guy who can flat out coach, regardless of how few boxes he checks in the PC column. Lemons and Penders were awesome coaches whose teams electrified the atmosphere around UT basketball. Problem is, guys like them couldn’t last very long in Austin these days. For that matter, they couldn’t even last that long in the old days. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

I’d love to see us hire a guy who can flat out coach, regardless of how few boxes he checks in the PC column. Lemons and Penders were awesome coaches whose teams electrified the atmosphere around UT basketball. Problem is, guys like them couldn’t last very long in Austin these days. For that matter, they couldn’t even last that long in the old days. 

I liked Penders, but he was at Texas 10 seasons that is a pretty decent run

most of those years in the SWC that was not exactly a basketball powerhouse in the later years especially with Arkansas gone and a couple in the Big 12

it was kind of fucked up how things went down with a heart attack and then 4 soft fucks crying to DeLoss, but releasing the academic info of one of them was a bad move

I would not mind taking a chance on a guy especially for the right price and one that can be canned for a low cost in 2 years if things go (more) to shit, but it at least needs to be a guy that has actually done something at several programs and the last one for a while

not a guy that put up some wins in bad conferences, job jumped, put up more wins in a bad conference (most of them in the OOC) and that has never sniffed the NCAAs with a team

I have zero concern with how much a coach costs.  Less than zero.

Well, I guess I should modify that with "it worries me if he's so expensive that we can't fire him if he turns out to suck".

It isn't coming out of my pocket.  I probably attend 20% of the football and basketball games I used to.  Raise the ticket prices, I don't care.  Me not paying $120 a seat isn't any more expensive than me not paying $105 a seat.  (Football example.)

49 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Somewhere I saw Illinois coach suggested as our next coach so  I decided to watch tonight. It don't look good. Michigan State is making Illinois look foolish.

people around here like him because he had success at SFA, but he's another guy who is probably lacking the experience we are looking for. we can do better than Brad Underwood.

11 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

He's been at Illinois for 3 years and this is his first winning season. 

Worth noting he's had to build that program from nearly the ground up, and he was starting to do the same at Oklahoma State when Illinois offered to pay him what OSU wouldn't. Pretty sure OSU would like to have him back right about now. His history at SFA is also pretty great.

12 hours ago, CheesePie said:

By god, we should go for the Michigan State coach then

You laugh, but its that kind of possibility that might just surprise you. He and Bill Self might be gettable just because they need to get away from the wildfire brewing around their programs. Probably not, but more likely than Beard, Wright, Mack, etc...

23 minutes ago, JWinTX said:

You laugh, but its that kind of possibility that might just surprise you. He and Bill Self might be gettable just because they need to get away from the wildfire brewing around their programs. Probably not, but more likely than Beard, Wright, Mack, etc...

Huh????  Izzo and Self are not going to another college job.

54 minutes ago, JWinTX said:

I would be shocked if we landed any of the big names you mentioned. Texas has never poached a big name coach from a prestigious basketball school and there is very little chance that trend changes this go around. When basketball is a fair weather sport like it is here we exclude ourselves from the cream of the crop. I think the best shot we have at landing a bonafide hoops coach is to ride SS Shaka for one more year and hope the timeline matches up with Beilein's departure from the Cavs. A Beilein Yaklich reunion in the new arena is one of the few outcomes being floated around here that is both realistic and actually good. We shall see how the cards fall. I would also be in favor of hiring Rick Pitino at seasons end and asking the lord for forgiveness later.

10 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Really that is what you got out of my comment? You may want to go back and actually read what I said.

It was a sarcastic response touching on the sentiment around here that we can get any coach shy of Krzyzewski. But I went back and read what you said anyway, will you go back and read what I said?

Edited by CheesePie

40 minutes ago, CheesePie said:

It was a sarcastic response touching on the sentiment around here that we can get any coach shy of Krzyzewski.

I've seen at least five different people say this over the course of this season, and yet i've never seen a single person who actually has expressed this sentiment. not once. in fact hardly anyone on this site is even throwing out suggestions for coaches, and most of the ones who do keep suggesting small-time coaches who nobody has ever heard of who are having mild success at programs that are far beneath Texas' level. if anything the exact opposite of this is happening. 

Edited by Goo Punch

23 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

I've seen at least five different people say this over the course of this season, and yet i've never seen a single person who actually has expressed this sentiment. not once. in fact hardly anyone on this site is even throwing out suggestions for coaches, and most of the ones who do keep suggesting small-time coaches who nobody has ever heard of who are having mild success at programs that are far beneath Texas' level. if anything the exact opposite of this is happening. 

Page 1 of this young thread reveals suggestions of Beard, Donovan and Jay Wright. Could be I'm being duped by disingenuous posters or could be there are people who think we have a shot at landing those guys. I'm sure I can find more of that in the fire Shaka thread.