2019 Fulmer Cup

Randolph Duke

I'm just starting to dissect the 2019 Fulmer Cup results. We seem to be in a lull of college athletes charged with criminal violations. The 2019 point total needed to compete at a high level in the Fulmer Cup standings have declined from previous years. 

For the record, the top finishers were:

1 Bryant 28   Northeast
2 Georgia Southern 27   Sun Belt
3 Nebraska 22   Big Ten
4 New Hampshire 20  CAA
5 Georgia 12  SEC
6 UTEP 11  Conference USA
7 Mississippi State 10  SEC
8T Nicholls 7  Southland
8T ULM 7  Sun Belt
8T Washington State  

My favorite Fulmer Cup related post:

An added twist for Georgia Southern was that on the same day Griffin was arrested, starting QB Shai Werts was also arrested. He was pulled over for speeding and failure to stop. The incident report at the time charged him with speeding as well as cocaine possession from a white residue on the hood of his car. All charges (including the speeding charge) were dropped when it turned out, as Werts had told officers, that the residue was bird poop. With no charges, he earns no Fulmer Cup points, and so Georgia Southern stays in 2nd. It's thought-provoking that something as innocuous as bird poop ended up playing a role in this year's Fulmer Cup.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheFulmerCup/

The Fulmer Cup was created in 2006 by Spencer Hall of Every Day Should Be Saturday, and run by his website for six years. In 2014, he permitted r/CFB to take over the award and this is the fourth season under control of r/CFB and its dedicated sub-section, r/TheFulmerCup. Points are awarded by members of The Fulmer Cup Committee, made up of members of r/CFB.

The Fulmer Cup is a parody award, like the Razzies and Ig Nobel Prize, meant to track the criminal achievements of various college football programs during the offseason and declare a "winner". It is open to all Division 1 football programs (FBS & FCS), and points are awarded based on the level of crime. The Fulmer Cup season starts the minute the national title game is finished and ends the minute of the first kickoff of the first full Saturday of college football.

Players qualify from the moment they enroll at the school (no commits or other recruits) until the depart or are dismissed from the team. For a crime to count, the player has to be on the team, i.e. not dismissed for unrelated things before the crime was committed (but if they were dismissed for a crime that they were later charged for, it counts). On very special occasions, a coach or athletic director arrested, cited or charged would count (as they go up the chain of command): Those are special occasions, and are left entirely up to the discretion of the Committee.

Points must be documented. What is "documentation"? A court record, arrest record, or news article describing the citation, charges, and/or arrest. No arrest, citation, or charges: no points. If you report the most amount of crimes to the Fulmer Cup sub, you can win The Golden Snitch Award!

• Like 1

Alright, I can't let this go. The Shai Werts case is enraging. They put him in fucking handcuffs for a speeding ticket. All because he waited until he was in a well lit area before pulling over. He's a young black man. Of course he's going to do that. And he was only going 78 mph.

The whole drug charge was most likely retaliatory because the cops were pissed off.

And in a shocking turn of a events, the cops were cleared of all wrongdoing. Mother fucker.

https://www.savannahnow.com/sports/20191113/investigation-clears-saluda-officer-attorney-for-georgia-southern-qb-shai-werts-responds

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

I'm just starting to dissect the 2019 Fulmer Cup results. We seem to be in a lull of college athletes charged with criminal violations. The 2019 point total needed to compete at a high level in the Fulmer Cup standings have declined from previous years. 

For the record, the top finishers were:

1 Bryant 28   Northeast
2 Georgia Southern 27   Sun Belt
3 Nebraska 22   Big Ten
4 New Hampshire 20  CAA
5 Georgia 12  SEC
6 UTEP 11  Conference USA
7 Mississippi State 10  SEC
8T Nicholls 7  Southland
8T ULM 7  Sun Belt
8T Washington State  

My favorite Fulmer Cup related post:

An added twist for Georgia Southern was that on the same day Griffin was arrested, starting QB Shai Werts was also arrested. He was pulled over for speeding and failure to stop. The incident report at the time charged him with speeding as well as cocaine possession from a white residue on the hood of his car. All charges (including the speeding charge) were dropped when it turned out, as Werts had told officers, that the residue was bird poop. With no charges, he earns no Fulmer Cup points, and so Georgia Southern stays in 2nd. It's thought-provoking that something as innocuous as bird poop ended up playing a role in this year's Fulmer Cup.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheFulmerCup/

It should be noted that Spencer Hall gave up running the Fulmer Cup in disgust over the Vanderbilt rape cover-ups, which he said ruined any fun aspect of the offseason crime tallying competition.  Who was the head coach during the Vanderbilt rape cover-up?  Current PSU coach James Franklin.

3 hours ago, sidis said:

i think you know the answer to that...

2 hours ago, ajax said:

Alright, I can't let this go. The Shai Werts case is enraging. They put him in fucking handcuffs for a speeding ticket. All because he waited until he was in a well lit area before pulling over. He's a young black man. Of course he's going to do that. And he was only going 78 mph.

The whole drug charge was most likely retaliatory because the cops were pissed off.

And in a shocking turn of a events, the cops were cleared of all wrongdoing. Mother fucker.

https://www.savannahnow.com/sports/20191113/investigation-clears-saluda-officer-attorney-for-georgia-southern-qb-shai-werts-responds

giphy.gif

Bryant won this year's Fulmer Cup on a single event involving 4 Football players that accrued 28 points. The players were involved in an altercation that started with breaking and entering and resulted in assault, and required the university to announce a review as to whether racial bias was involved (which was not found conclusively). WR Shelton McNeal, LB Jack McNeil, and DB Zahir Williams were all charged with breaking and entering, simple assault, disorderly conduct, and conspiracy. DB Jarrett Martin was additionally charged with breaking and entering and disorderly conduct, but missed the assault and conspiracy charges. The charges together with the teamwork bonus combined for 28 points, considerably lower than the total typically required to win, but enough to take the crown for Bryant this year.

Weak. Robert Joseph is not impressed.

Edited by Beau Vine

4 hours ago, J.R. Juniors Junior Jr. said:

It should be noted that Spencer Hall gave up running the Fulmer Cup in disgust over the Vanderbilt rape cover-ups, which he said ruined any fun aspect of the offseason crime tallying competition.  Who was the head coach during the Vanderbilt rape cover-up?  Current PSU coach James Franklin.

Well nothing weird or gross has emerged there in the last week or so, so he and the PSU admins have clearly learned ethics and morality.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 year later...
5 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

A DUI? Ooooh...the horror. That almost never happens to anyone on a team with more than 100 young men in their late teens and early twenties.

If it’s a first offense then he’s still working out and won’t miss any of spring practice let alone an actual game. 

He’s underage which is a lack of institutional control IMO. 

1 minute ago, Gene Parmesan said:

He’s underage which is a lack of institutional control IMO. 

Lack of institutional control? Lulz. I’ll take, “Things you wouldn’t care about if it happened to a player on your team for $1,000, Alex.” I think if I were teaching a class on Sports Fan Psychology, I would open my first lecture with the example of how, when a player on my team gets a DUI, it was just a youthful mistake. But when it happens to a player on another team, it’s a sign that they’re a rogue program and all the coaches need to be fired. Kudos to you for raising a player DUI to the level where the AD should be fired also.

Lack of institutional control because of underage drinking on a college campus? What fantasy world do you live in?

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Lack of institutional control? Lulz. I’ll take, “Things you wouldn’t care about if it happened to a player on your team for $1,000, Alex.” I think if I were teaching a class on Sports Fan Psychology, I would open my first lecture with the example of how, when a player on my team gets a DUI, it was just a youthful mistake. But when it happens to a player on another team, it’s a sign that they’re a rogue program and all the coaches need to be fired. Kudos to you for raising a player DUI to the level where the AD should be fired also.

Lack of institutional control because of underage drinking on a college campus? What fantasy world do you live in?

One where the laws are abided by sir

37 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Lol

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

A DUI? Ooooh...the horror. That almost never happens to anyone on a team with more than 100 young men in their late teens and early twenties.

If it’s a first offense then he’s still working out and won’t miss any of spring practice let alone an actual game. 

Hey Captain Self-Aware, I realize you're a Buckeye fan, but are you not familiar with the Britt Reid story?

Check your meter sir.
You would have thought his mountain momma would have driven him home.

W S U. Not W V U.