Adult baseball in Austin area? (Recrooting)

B00M

Any of you degenerate fucks wanna play? Season starts late February and we need a couple impact players. We will have 2-3 pre-season practices, but that's it. We always field a competitive team, but we've experienced a lot of attrition this off-season. It's a wood bat, mostly-sunday league, 18+. Most pitching is in the 75-80 mph range with the hardest throwers at 85-87 ... If your bat and athleticism standout on the softball field, or you just miss pitching, please PM me. @capnamerca can confirm I'm probably not a serial killer, and I won't stalk you if you come to a practice and decide it's not for you. 

58 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Not that I’m in the area, but is it fastballs only or full on pitching?  I think I could hit 80 mph fastballs still if I knew that’s what was coming. Adding junk and I would just embarrass myself. 

I know where you can get a slightly used camera and buzzer system.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Not that I’m in the area, but is it fastballs only or full on pitching?  I think I could hit 80 mph fastballs still if I knew that’s what was coming. Adding junk and I would just embarrass myself. 

There's junk, but embarrassing yourself is part of the game 

041914_colon_swings_2_27g6inde.gif

What league is this?  And what's the median age?  Your team sounds a bit above my skill-set, but I'd like to take a look at other options in the league for next year.  

Ha! Well maybe your sons are interested then. Plenty of kids play in our league between high school and college. It's a good challenge for most of them.

www.ctbl.org ... It's 1 of 2 competitive leagues in the Austin area. It's run by a volunteer commissioner and the team managers, which makes it inherently more transparent and cheaper per player. There will be 2 divisions again.

Median age of the competitive division is probably upper 20s, lower 30s with the youngest players being 18 and the oldest in the mid 40s.

Division II is undoubtedly older on average and a significant step down in competitiveness if you're worried about your skill level.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, B00M said:

Ha! Well maybe your sons are interested then. Plenty of kids play in our league between high school and college. It's a good challenge for most of them.

www.ctbl.org ... It's 1 of 2 competitive leagues in the Austin area. It's run by a volunteer commissioner and the team managers, which makes it inherently more transparent and cheaper per player. There will be 2 divisions again.

Median age of the competitive division is probably upper 20s, lower 30s with the youngest players being 18 and the oldest in the mid 40s.

Division II is undoubtedly older on average and a significant step down in competitiveness if you're worried about your skill level.

Yeah, can you post the name or link to the Division II league?   I'm not so much worried about my skill level, is just that I'm just 43 and my eyesight ain't getting any better.  I played walk-on fall ball for a Trans-Atlantic Athletic Conference program 25 years ago.  So your initial post frightens me, but this Division II that is "undoubtedly older" sounds exciting.  Plus there's talk of getting the early bird special after games.  A tenderloin, a salad, and a baked potato for $4.95.  

Yeah, can you post the name or link to the Division II league?   I'm not so much worried about my skill level, is just that I'm just 43 and my eyesight ain't getting any better.  I played walk-on fall ball for a Trans-Atlantic Athletic Conference program 25 years ago.  So your initial post frightens me, but this Division II that is "undoubtedly older" sounds exciting.  Plus there's talk of getting the early bird special after games.  A tenderloin, a salad, and a baked potato for $4.95.  

Don’t let it frighten you. I’m intrigued as to the II level being less competitive due to the fact that they’re older. Some of us 40yr olds can still rip the tits off of the youngsters BECAUSE we’re older. We’ve got a lot more hindsight than the 20-30yr olds.
And don’t discount a 40 year old who still maintains a 18 year old frame of mind. Especially one that started playing baseball at 3. Those of us who know we should hang them up, but just refuse to.... are pretty fucking dangerous.

4 hours ago, Homesickhorn said:

Don’t let it frighten you. I’m intrigued as to the II level being less competitive due to the fact that they’re older. Some of us 40yr olds can still rip the tits off of the youngsters BECAUSE we’re older. We’ve got a lot more hindsight than the 20-30yr olds.
And don’t discount a 40 year old who still maintains a 18 year old frame of mind. Especially one that started playing baseball at 3. Those of us who know we should hang them up, but just refuse to.... are pretty fucking dangerous.

We've had several 40+ year old contributors. Still have 1, he's a badass. Don't get me wrong, DII is not less competitive because it's older. My team has always been one of the oldest in the league. I appreciate the mental toughness and reliability of veteran players. 

• Like 1

Also, don't discount the possibility of a 39 year old destroying his ankle and having to deal with a fucked up ankle for the past 15 years.   How it happened is the embarrassing part.  

I’ve broken the same three ribs three separate times because I refuse to accept the fact that I’m getting older.

Now, tell us your story and I’ll tell mine.

4 hours ago, Homesickhorn said:

I’ve broken the same three ribs three separate times because I refuse to accept the fact that I’m getting older.

Now, tell us your story and I’ll tell mine.

Well mine is embarrassing because it was so fucking stupid of me.  Fucking fundamentals.  Our team was the worst in the league by a long shot.  We were playing the best team in the league and the score was indicative of our standings.  It's late in the game and we're just playing it out to finish this ass whipping.  I'm playing 2nd and there's a man on 1st.  Grounder to SS so we're going to try to turn two.  Here's where I stupidly fucked up.  I put my left foot in FRONT of the bag and not behind it like anyone who hasn't taken 20 years off from baseball would naturally know.  You'd think that wouldn't be a big deal in a rout, but I was unlucky enough to have Mr. Redass charging at me from 1st.  Fucker is probably aggy.  Anyway, as he slides he fucking launches himself in the air (in my mind he was at least 6 feel off the ground) and slides into 2nd (and my ankle) at full speed and with so much force, I'm not sure the 6' is that big of an exaggeration.  Ankle explodes.   Congrats Mr. Redass.  You broke up a double play late in a glorified beer league game you were winning by 15 runs and forever altered my life (slight exaggeration, but I have pain in that ankle every day).    

Mr. Redass did come by my house to see how I was doing (shitty, very shitty) and brought me a box of cookies from Tiff's Treats.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Go Pokes said:

Well mine is embarrassing because it was so fucking stupid of me.  Fucking fundamentals.  Our team was the worst in the league by a long shot.  We were playing the best team in the league and the score was indicative of our standings.  It's late in the game and we're just playing it out to finish this ass whipping.  I'm playing 2nd and there's a man on 1st.  Grounder to SS so we're going to try to turn two.  Here's where I stupidly fucked up.  I put my left foot in FRONT of the bag and not behind it like anyone who hasn't taken 20 years off from baseball would naturally know.  You'd think that wouldn't be a big deal in a rout, but I was unlucky enough to have Mr. Redass charging at me from 1st.  Fucker is probably aggy.  Anyway, as he slides he fucking launches himself in the air (in my mind he was at least 6 feel off the ground) and slides into 2nd (and my ankle) at full speed and with so much force, I'm not sure the 6' is that big of an exaggeration.  Ankle explodes.   Congrats Mr. Redass.  You broke up a double play late in a glorified beer league game you were winning by 15 runs and forever altered my life (slight exaggeration, but I have pain in that ankle every day).    

Mr. Redass did come by my house to see how I was doing (shitty, very shitty) and brought me a box of cookies from Tiff's Treats.  

Wow. Should have pistol whipped the wannabe Ty Cobb when he stopped by your house or at least run him over with a truck. Even if it wasn't 6 feet in the air, anything over a foot is wrong.

I have played on a team in a sandlot league here in Austin the last three years. League has grown from like 5 teams to around 12 now. Fast pitch, wood bats, it is a ton of fun.

It is not over the top competitive but just a good group of guys (and a handful of ladies across the league) that love playing baseball, drinking beer and not taking it too seriously.

• Like 1

Were his spikes up too?

Make sure you have a hell of an insurance plan. 

I tore my labrum at Galveston JR College 20 years ago and tried slowpitch 5 years ago. Looked like smalls in left field trying to hit the relay to our SS 20 yards past the outside cut of the infield. 

Edited by Blackcat00

5 hours ago, Blackcat00 said:

I tore my labrum at Galveston JR College 20 years ago and tried slowpitch 5 years ago. Looked like smalls in left field trying to hit the relay to our SS 20 yards past the outside cut of the infield. 

Play for Dick Smith? Hell of a man and coach.

21 hours ago, Blackcat00 said:

Yeah shoulder reaggravation injuries definitely happen with guys getting back into the game. Usually if you survive your 1st couple games you're in the clear. I've never witnessed a broken ankle like Pokes, but I've played in a couple hundred games so I've seen some shit. A dislocated thumb (that was gross; catcher got the out at the plate though), torn oblique (pitching), torn calf (trying to leg out a double), knee injuries due to indecision on the base paths (trying to suddenly stop is unwise), some relatively minor cleatings, and plenty of UCL inflammation but no tears. Oh yeah, one guy foul bunted a ball into his own eye (no I didn't ask him to bunt or give any signs at all - he was a 3-outcome guy so I don't know what he was thinking) and another's jaw was broken by a line drive when he was pitching (that was terrifying but he still threw the guy out at 1st). 

• 5 weeks later...