Silver Spurs

66BUFF

26 minutes ago, 66BUFF said:

Any former members here?  My son was offered and I am interested in your thoughts / opinions regarding the Spurs.

9 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Wrong forum because most people here are against fraternities and such. Personally, I think it is a pretty big honor. There will be plenty of info about hazing that people will put on here.

6 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Congrats to your son.  It is a great honor to be tapped.  Good luck to him.

It's a big honor IMO. I'm curious to hear if there's as much paddling/hazing as there was when I had fraternity buddies go through it. I would have to think they've dialed it back quite a bit -- if not gotten rid of it entirely -- especially in the wake of the Cowboys having a Newman pledge die a year or two back.

21 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Congrats to your son.  It is a great honor to be tapped.  Good luck to him.

Witnessed a few of those first hand.

Ouch.

The arm candy at games alone is worth it though.

Edited by Cajun
  • Like 1

I would jump at the opportunity. It’s sure better than being in the Texas Cowboys... RIP... sorta. The only recent SS I’ve met was the shit-faced one sitting behind me at the Sugar Bowl.  He was on the search committee for the current Bevo. I got to hear allllllll about that after I showed him the video of Bevo vs Uga that popped up on my phone. Nice enough guy. 

It is probably a bigger honor now than in the past, where most of the members were in fraternities and the main criteria was being viewed as a good guy/buddy of the 1-4 active Spurs from that fraternity.

As to the poon, that's a chicken or egg question.  Another part of the criteria or one subsumed in the "good guy" metric was the ability to pull ass.

If he's not in a fraternity, then it is a bigger honor and may now be across the board.  And being an independent Spur will probably open a world of top drawer poon to him.

Back in the day, independent Spurs could choose not to partake in the hazing with no adverse effects.  Less so with the fraternity guys.

It's not a prerequisite or guarantee of success, but in certain professions it can sure help.  Lots of influential Texas alumni were Spurs and Cowboys.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

There will be plenty of info about hazing that people will put on here.

And that's where they are wrong - one shouldn't look at anal sex with the existing members as hazing, look at it as an opportunity.  It's a great honor to be selected, and like others, I think it has grown in stature.

Wait, maybe that's not Silver Spurs I'm thinking of.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 66BUFF said:

Any former members here?  My son was offered and I am interested in your thoughts / opinions regarding the Spurs.

One of my big regrets was not taking this invite. I went in with the attitude of "fuck that, I'm not going to be someone's pledge bitch" since I started school at 22 but as others have mentioned, the benefits far outweigh any bs you'll have to go through at first. 

Probably should mention that this would've been the only frat I would've joined. Not all were bad but in my experience, most were the epitome of entitled rich white kid with a (sometimes hefty) dose of racism (just my experience, not exclusive to UT.) But in today's world "it's who you know not what you know" so pretty much any organization will be beneficial. 

3 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Back in the day, independent Spurs could choose not to partake in the hazing with no adverse effects.  Less so with the fraternity guys.

It's not a prerequisite or guarantee of success, but in certain professions it can sure help.  Lots of influential Texas alumni were Spurs and Cowboys.

I've always thought hazing was pretty stupid and felt it was weird that people enjoyed hazing others. OTOH, I was pretty tough so overall, I wasn't worried about it. My concern was paddling more than anything else. Back in the day someone got their pelvis broken by the paddle. I'm not one of these big guys with lots of padding back there.

8 hours ago, 66BUFF said:

It’s a big honor, and pretty exclusive as only 2 guys per frat get selected per semester (plus a few independents).  In addition to the game day festivities, you get lots of access to frat parties and it’s a status thing with the coeds too.  After college, a lot of doors will be open to him in just about any career field but especially if he’s going into a sales, business, communication, or legal areas.  I’ve never heard of anyone turning it down which should tell you quite a bit.  With the stuff the Cowboys and other frats have been going through I don’t think you need to worry too much about what little hazing remains.

I was a Spur. It was a really long time ago, not sure just how applicable it is to todays organization. 

It is a well run organization based on the Alumni communication I receive. There is a fairly active alumni network that holds regular events in the larger Texas cities. 

I am proud of my affiliation, it was a big honor back then. I don't know that it was worth the wrath they put us through at the time, but am absolutely sure that type of thing can't be happening today. It did allow me to meet a group of guys that I would not have known otherwise. I count many of those people among my close friends today. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Bevo said:

My concern was paddling more than anything else. Back in the day someone got their pelvis broken by the paddle. I'm not one of these big guys with lots of padding back there.

Are you sure it was their pelvis? Seems like their tailbone would break on the way to anything else.

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

17 hours ago, WBT said:

Tell him to try not to look like he's never been around cattle, unlike the majority of the city slicker fuckwits trying to handle Bevo

My father was a Silver Spur in the late 40s early 50s. He had no business being around livestock.  When at mom's family's farm my brother and I were charged with keeping Pops away from: power tools, machinery, and livestock.

Back then they used run Bevo around the field a la the Sooner Schooner after a score. Bevo also wasn't doped to the gills back then.

11 hours ago, Rougarou said:

One time I got really drunk and bladed a guy (paddle got a bit sideways on me) and I'd never seen someone in so much pain. I felt really bad and still do. Be careful out there, boys.

Yep, I took a few licks and we had some baseball players in my frat who I prayed to f'n Allah wouldn't end up being the tapper.

Wasn't so much that they swung hard, it was that they rolled their wrists coming through.

Welcome to the BLADE.