Gerald Wilbon and D'Andre Christmas are grad transferring

texifornia

5 minutes ago, CastHorn said:

I remember Christmas having one of the best first steps I ever seen out of a HS Interior D Lineman on tape. He became Muslim in Faith & became a music producer in Austin. Interesting college experience. 

He also had one of the most memorable announcements I can recall, where he committed on a New Orleans evening news broadcast, where his very awkward commitment was sandwiched between reports of various shootings and stabbings.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Okafor, Imade, and Brown are the only ones left from the 2016 class/Strong recruits.

TEXAS STRONK!

Can't wait to see this team next year man. I feel like playing all these young guys has to fucking pay off at some point. OL and DL should be solid, if we win the trenches, we win the poop12.

2 great grad transfer spots, hope the best for em!

Edited by Zavala

3 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

He also had one of the most memorable announcements I can recall, where he committed on a New Orleans evening news broadcast, where his very awkward commitment was sandwiched between reports of various shootings and stabbings.

I have to believe that’s still the largest audience that stations stream has ever seen. 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Zavala said:

TEXAS STRONK!

Can't wait to see this team next year man. I feel like playing all these young guys has to fucking pay off at some point. OL and DL should be solid, if we win the trenches, we win the poop12.

2 great grad transfer spots, hope the best for em!

I disagree on DL.  We're hurting on the two deep there.  Need bodies.

1 hour ago, CastHorn said:

I remember Christmas having one of the best first steps I ever seen out of a HS Interior D Lineman on tape. He became Muslim in Faith & became a music producer in Austin. Interesting college experience. 

This. I thought he was going to be nails as a pass rusher.

Anyway, even though neither had much of an impact on the program, there are many worse things in life than getting a free bachelor's from Texas followed by free grad school. Congrats to both young men on their degrees and best of luck at their next stops.

Edited by campcrunk

2 minutes ago, campcrunk said:

This. I thought he was going to be nails as a pass rusher.

Anyway, even though neither had much of an impact on the program, there are many worse things in life than getting a free bachelor's from Texas followed by free grad school. Congrats to both young men on their degrees and best of luck at their next stops.

Wilbon played quite a bit and even started a game, that's pretty good for the least heralded dude in that "errbody" DL class.

• Like 2

This is all just totally exemplary of the depths to which our program has stalled out and crashed. 

Two guys graduate that had almost no impact on the program except for sucking up scholarships. One played some meh snaps and the other was a flaccid reminder of the shitty Strong era every time his name came up.

So we’re simultaneously happy for these guys and glad to see them heading out to become someone else’s dead weight. Meanwhile, literally all of the heralded guys that came in with them have long departed in either failure, banality, or in one instance, apparently major success. We can’t even win for losing. And the beat goes on. 

Farts in the wind have a more significant impact on CFB than these two guys disappearing into the wastelands. 

45 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Collins and Umanmielen will help.

QB - 3 + Jackson

RB - 6 (Includes Whittington and Johnson)

WR - 9 (Includes Boyce and Woodard)

TE/FB - 6 (Including Epps and Hullaby)

OL - 15

DL - 14

LB - 12 (Includes Overshown)

DB - 15

ST - 3

Total = 84, only 10 SR. So there is going to be a lot of attrition to take 22-25 in the 2021 class.

Edited by HtownHorn

9 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Collins and Umanmielen will help.

QB - 3 + Jackson

RB - 6 (Includes Whittington and Johnson)

WR - 9 (Includes Boyce and Woodard)

TE/FB - 6 (Including Epps and Hullaby)

OL - 15

DL - 14

LB - 12 (Includes Overshown)

DB - 15

ST - 3

Total = 84, only 10 SR. So there is going to be a lot of attrition to take 22-25 in the 2021 class.

Not sure where all your numbers come from, but probably 3-5 more 2020 Class additions too...

Edited by LTtxfan

55 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Agreed but those 2 were never going to contribute meaningfully. Would much rather get some young blood. All Strong players need to go. 

Would love to see the numbers on how all of Strong’s recruits fared. Off the top of my head 9 of his recruits turned into draft picks (assuming CJ & Duv get picked), maybe 10 with Sam. Seems like literally all his other recruits were total busts. 

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

It includes Collins and Umanmielen. If they also get Dixon and Williams at WR and Rakestraw at CB then Texas needs 2 more attrition to get to 85. Most likely Cummins is one.

So your numbers are contingent on a guy who decommitted and another who probably would have committed months ago if we hadn't given him every reason to be concerned his talent would be wasted in this program?

Sam will be drafted. Sam was recruited by Charlie but could have been recruited by Charlie Manson. He is Herman’s player. 
And all of Charlie’s guys that were drafted are busts.
Edit: Dickson but punters don’t count. 

“Bust” seems premature for Connor Williams right now. He could end up being a league average starter, which is probably about what you expect from a 2nd rounder. Omenihu has shown some promise as well.
Still, looking back at our NFL draft history for the last 10 or so years is.... not good.

15 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Disagree. We've finally reached a point where most of the OL and DL are RS. We have numbers and incoming talent at DL. We are deeper and more talented on the OL/DL than we have been since FUPM quit on the job and left us wandering the desert. The change in scheme/defensive style will make 3 or 4 of these names jump off the screen when you see them in 2020.

right now we have  ::

Coburn. Sweat. Ojomo. Ossai. Vaughns. Warren. Carson. Graham. Bimage. Jones. Mpagi. 

Adding ::

Broughton. Dorbah. Goram-Welch. likely Collins and possibly Princely.  I also expect there will be a long look at one of the Stanford DL grad xfers, but we will see. 

5 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Disagree. We've finally reached a point where most of the OL and DL are RS. We have numbers and incoming talent at DL. We are deeper and more talented on the OL/DL than we have been since FUPM quit on the job and left us wandering the desert. The change in scheme/defensive style will make 3 or 4 of these names jump off the screen when you see them in 2020.

right now we have  ::

Coburn. Sweat. Ojomo. Ossai. Vaughns. Warren. Carson. Graham. Bimage. Jones. Mpagi. 

Adding ::

Broughton. Dorbah. Goram-Welch. likely Collins and possibly Princely.  I also expect there will be a long look at one of the Stanford DL grad xfers, but we will see. 

Given Mpagi's been in and out of the hospital, I'd put him almost at Derrion Brown's level until we hear about him consistently practicing.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Js1 said:

Is that CC in Kansas getting 2 more Texas kids??

Kansas has a CC with graduate programs?  Sounds like the anti-Blinn.

15 hours ago, closetojumping said:

This is all just totally exemplary of the depths to which our program has stalled out and crashed. 

Two guys graduate that had almost no impact on the program except for sucking up scholarships. One played some meh snaps and the other was a flaccid reminder of the shitty Strong era every time his name came up.

So we’re simultaneously happy for these guys and glad to see them heading out to become someone else’s dead weight. Meanwhile, literally all of the heralded guys that came in with them have long departed in either failure, banality, or in one instance, apparently major success. We can’t even win for losing. And the beat goes on. 

Farts in the wind have a more significant impact on CFB than these two guys disappearing into the wastelands. 

Jfc, it must be miserable to be you.

23 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Given Mpagi's been in and out of the hospital, I'd put him almost at Derrion Brown's level until we hear about him consistently practicing.

Maybe @theaveragejon can find an update on Mpagi. 

17 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Jfc, it must be miserable to be you.

It’s pretty great, actually. Sorry for hurting your feelings because I think two guys who have been dead weight leaving is a good thing and an example in its own way, given the class in which they came in and that context, of our terrible journey. Have fun cheering for them while they ride pine at their new destinations. Maybe you can show up and gleefully regale us each with week with updates. I can see it now:

”At San Diego State this week against Wyoming, Christmas-Giles played 11 snaps and almost made a diving tackle once as the Wyoming QB scrambled past him. 

In Gerald Wilbon news, he made one tackle for a loss and did a bellyrub dance in the backfield for Louisiana against Troy State. It was awesome to see you guys!”

Can’t wait. 

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Maybe @theaveragejon can find an update on Mpagi. 

It’s pretty great, actually. Sorry for hurting your feelings because I think two guys who have been dead weight leaving is a good thing and an example in its own way, given the class in which they came in and that context, of our terrible journey. Have fun cheering for them while they ride pine at their new destinations. Maybe you can show up and gleefully regale us each with week with updates. I can see it now:

”At San Diego State this week against Wyoming, Christmas-Giles played 11 snaps and almost made a diving tackle once as the Wyoming QB scrambled past him. 

In Gerald Wilbon news, he made one tackle for a loss and did a bellyrub dance in the backfield for Louisiana against Troy State. It was awesome to see you guys!”

Can’t wait. 

I’ll see what I can find out. Lol. 

14 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Sam will be drafted. Sam was recruited by Charlie but could have been recruited by Charlie Manson. He is Herman’s player. 

And all of Charlie’s guys that were drafted are busts.

Edit: Dickson but punters don’t count. 

I think Duvernay is gonna fuck up the league on Sundays but he would have been Baylor had they not gone Rayplor.

• Like 1

Just now, Beau Vine said:

What a fucking goober. They walked at Senior Day for shit's sake.

"Combine both Texas football DT’s Gerald Wilbon and D’Andre Christmas-Giles putting their names in the portal on the same day and the loss in depth is huge.

What was double-dose of bad news for the Texas football program along the defensive line on Jan. 21, head coach Tom Herman figured out that he would be losing two key experienced seniors to the NCAA Transfer Portal. Both senior defensive tackles Gerald Wilbon and D’Andre Christmas-Giles had their intentions surface to put their names in the transfer portal on the same day."

• Like 1

"Combine both Texas football DT’s Gerald Wilbon and D’Andre Christmas-Giles putting their names in the portal on the same day and the loss in depth is huge.

What was double-dose of bad news for the Texas football program along the defensive line on Jan. 21, head coach Tom Herman figured out that he would be losing two key experienced seniors to the NCAA Transfer Portal. Both senior defensive tackles Gerald Wilbon and D’Andre Christmas-Giles had their intentions surface to put their names in the transfer portal on the same day."

It’s ok, several of us signaled our intentions to put our Johnson’s into the portal known as South Austin’s mom. We needed the cover story!

On 1/21/2020 at 7:38 PM, Katfid54 said:

A Muslim named Christmas?  Should make for interesting times at the masjid.

1 hour ago, Bullneck said:

A Muslim named Christmas?  Should make for interesting times at the masjid.

Oh, I have come across many disciples including Matthew (a very good friend of mine) and John (more than one), Chris, Christo, Jesus, etc. Rose by any other name, etc. etc.

“Bust” seems premature for Connor Williams right now. He could end up being a league average starter, which is probably about what you expect from a 2nd rounder. Omenihu has shown some promise as well.
Still, looking back at our NFL draft history for the last 10 or so years is.... not good.

I think Holton Hill will end up good if he keeps his nose clean.

13 hours ago, texifornia said:

Technically, the loss is "huge," because those dudes were two of our fattest players.

On 1/21/2020 at 10:31 PM, Dr. Beeper said:

True. Connor is not good though. Don’t really follow the Texans. 

Omenihu had some impactful plays with very limited snaps.    Probably the 2nd best pass rusher on a team with one pass rusher who was hurt.   His lack of snaps at the end of the year was silly.  If he works hard he can play for a long time.