Kansas/Kansas St Brawl

Victorious1

21 minutes ago, Houtexjhawk said:

No foul was called.  DeSousa got a T for taunting after the play.  Now that there has been time to digest this, a couple of things have come out. 
1. Bill Self is get more scrutiny regarding whether he has control of the program.   That had sort of died out as the season was progressing, but this becomes one more incident in a series of incidents over the last few years that are a bad look for the program.  There seems to be some tension between Bill Self and the AD. 

2. I do find it interesting that KU and DeSousa have put out multiple statements apologizing and taking responsibility for the incident, but we have heard nothing from KSU.  DeSousa issued a very contrite apology and I think had he not raised the stool over his head, the narrative of the fight would be much different.  

3. I don’t know how the team will respond emotionally, but the suspension should have very little effect on the team.  DeSousa only played a few minutes a game and has really struggled this year.  McCormack was a starter, but KU would start two big men and struggle in the first half and played better with only one big man.  This will force Self  to play a line up that has been more productive.  

4.  Long term are we witnessing the beginning of the end of the Self era.  It may depend on NCAA punishment .  I get the perception of the program by other schools and I get that many view KU fans as arrogant, but what Self has accomplished is pretty remarkable and there is no home run hire to replace him.  

1 and 4 Go hand in hand. The worry among KU fans is that Jeff long will try and exert power he was no doubt given with selfs approval. That’s when you have major issues.  The point about KSU is very curious to everyone. Reddit conversation cant believe that KSU isn’t taking any blame. Weber has basically said nothing until after the punishments. The school also said nothing about sportsmanship or how it reflected on the program. The taters I know loved it and can’t wait for their home game. They’re a lot like mizzou in that fashion. 

The obvious worry is that we drop our next conference game with no back up big man. We’re going to have to get 13 minutes from an undersized freshman 4 at the 5 spot. Luckily OSU is pretty undersized as well so they probably won’t feast inside. It could easily be an OSU win given our struggles down there. 

The silver lining here is that both fan bases finally feel like this is a rivalry. If it isn’t going to be competitive on the court at least it can be emotional off the court and on the court. It’s no secret that self and Weber don’t like each other. Now the players don’t like each other. On top of that, the media (and everyone else) now has a reason to hate KU. That will hopefully galvanize the team even further and encourage us to not take plays off when we are up 13. The obvious worry is that we can be easily emotionally baited into fouls. But I don’t see the refs calling our games tighter as a problem, in this league that probably helps KU, especially at WVU who is a contender. 

Edited by Jhawk

26 minutes ago, Houtexjhawk said:

what Self has accomplished is pretty remarkable and there is no home run hire to replace him.  

Beard would be a home run hire. No idea if he's as glued to Lubbock as Tech fans claim, but his name will emerge anytime a blue blood program has an opening.

It's one thing to turn down what would essentially be a lateral move to Austin, but if Carolina or Kansas came calling? It'd have to give him pause.

Personally, I'd rather see him stay at Tech. Programs like KU and UNC have won enough. #teamparity

23 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

1 and 4 Go hand in hand. The worry among KU fans is that Jeff long will try and exert power he was no doubt given with selfs approval. That’s when you have major issues.  The point about KSU is very curious to everyone. Reddit conversation cant believe that KSU isn’t taking any blame. Weber has basically said nothing until after the punishments. The school also said nothing about sportsmanship or how it reflected on the program. The taters I know loved it and can’t wait for their home game. They’re a lot like mizzou in that fashion. 

The obvious worry is that we drop our next conference game with no back up big man. We’re going to have to get 13 minutes from an undersized freshman 4 at the 5 spot. Luckily OSU is pretty undersized as well so they probably won’t feast inside. It could easily be an OSU win given our struggles down there. 

The silver lining here is that both fan bases finally feel like this is a rivalry. If it isn’t going to be competitive on the court at least it can be emotional off the court and on the court. It’s no secret that self and Weber don’t like each other. Now the players don’t like each other. On top of that, the media (and everyone else) now has a reason to hate KU. That will hopefully galvanize the team even further and encourage us to not take plays off when we are up 13. The obvious worry is that we can be easily emotionally baited into fouls. But I don’t see the refs calling our games tighter as a problem, in this league that probably helps KU, especially at WVU who is a contender. 

Who gives a fuck?

43 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

This is complete and utter bullshit.   There is no silver lining to this shit.    Stop being a fucking fan for just one fucking minute man.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

What?  I saw his post-game words at the press conference . . . seemed like he was pretty embarrassed.

"It's my guys, it's my fault."

Wait wait wait. So you guys hammer self for “I didn’t see it” and defend Weber for “my fault” when Weber also said he didn’t see it and self came out pissed in the post game conference. This is how I know almost everyone in this thread is clutching their pearls. Only D2o has said anything about KSU. Everyone else has turned a blind eye or defended KSU. 

De Sousa should be gone and I hope self holds him longer than the league wants. But he isn’t the only problem here. 

Edited by Jhawk

Love got involved after Silvio took a swing at a guard half his size, love was protecting his smaller teammate. That's not excusing him getting involved, but it is what it is, 8 games for love and 12 for sil is fine imo. The 2 games for the dude stomping a guy on the ground is the real puzzler. 

45 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

What?  I saw his post-game words at the press conference . . . seemed like he was pretty embarrassed.

"It's my guys, it's my fault."

Weber's post game comments were fucking ridiculous.    He sounded VERY nonchalant about what happened.  Both coaches should be suspended for a while as well.   Clearly they have no control of their teams.

The whole coaching staff's main priority in this type of situation is making sure not one guy leaves the bench.

Edited by d2o

6 minutes ago, seven said:

Love got involved after Silvio took a swing at a guard half his size, love was protecting his smaller teammate. That's not excusing him getting involved, but it is what it is, 8 games for love and 12 for sil is fine imo. The 2 games for the dude stomping a guy on the ground is the real puzzler. 

Yeah fuck that.   He should have never left the bench area.   the players on the floor can "protect" their teammate.   Love came through like Link from the Mod Squad.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That's fine, I disagree. The only overly egregious actions were sil brandishing a weapon and the stomping. If sil doesn't pick up the stool I'm fine with 8 games for him too. 

Realistically, neither love nor sil are likely to ever play another minute of college basketball anyway. 

16 minutes ago, seven said:

That's fine, I disagree. The only overly egregious actions were sil brandishing a weapon and the stomping. If sil doesn't pick up the stool I'm fine with 8 games for him too. 

Realistically, neither love nor sil are likely to ever play another minute of college basketball anyway. 

That's where I'm at. The brandishing of the chair should have earned him the rest of the season AT LEAST.

1 hour ago, Jhawk said:

This is how I know almost everyone in this thread is clutching their pearls. Only D2o has said anything about KSU. Everyone else has turned a blind eye or defended KSU. 

I wouldn't defend either of your Kansas second tier teams.  Everybody knows who the best team in KS is.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There was at least one male cheerleader in the middle of shit pushing players back.

I have yet to see an article credit the male cheerleader with getting in the middle of the scuffle and separating people.

3-E155-A8-A-C458-47-EA-9-F35-C43-BD95-E3

No credit for the guys who stick their fists up spritely girls' pussies all night while also mouthing the words to some chant or something.