Dad music

Goredho

My wife let’s my kids dictate the music in her car.  It’s all overproduced, auto-tuned, electronic bullshit they heard in a Minecraft video on Youtube.

In my car?  Straight Dad music, homie.  What are/were your kid’s favorite dad music?  Here are mine:

F53-EFBC8-C1-B6-4-F47-B34-C-F5156-C0-FD6

FF051-D0-F-1995-487-C-8-A5-D-12-C434-C72

9-B2-B9542-F160-4-B80-9-F75-581-C3-D6-E9

• Like 2

Way back in the day I would put 2-3 albums on the old Marantz at bedtime and put the kids to sleep. Santana "Abraxas", Pink Floyd "Atom Heart Mother" and Crosby Stills and Nash first album were favorites that they still listen to now. Stop Making Sense came along later but the tunes from that were staples in my son's bar band when he was still doing that.

• Like 1

My HS senior daughter (no pics you freaks) has an expansive and quite extraordinary knowledge of rock & pop from The Beatles onward.  She will listen to anything, sing most of it (correctly, I might add), and is more than happy to indulge whatever I play, from The Clash to Nirvana to Linda Ronstadt to Ray LaMontagne.

My HS sophomore son (definitely no pics you perverts) always guesses "The Beatles?" when I quit him about a song on the radio.  It could be Led Zeppelin or Bruno Mars but his guess is always "The Beatles?".  I don't really have much hope for him, at least in terms of musical literacy.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

My HS sophomore son (definitely no pics you perverts) always guesses "The Beatles?" when I quit him about a song on the radio.  It could be Led Zeppelin or Bruno Mars but his guess is always "The Beatles?".  I don't really have much hope for him, at least in terms of musical literacy.

Second-child syndrome. This is completely 100% all on you.

35 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

My HS senior daughter (no pics you freaks) has an expansive and quite extraordinary knowledge of rock & pop from The Beatles onward.  She will listen to anything, sing most of it (correctly, I might add), and is more than happy to indulge whatever I play, from The Clash to Nirvana to Linda Ronstadt to Ray LaMontagne.

He has a high opinion of Mars...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My kids (4 and 6) are enjoying plenty of dad music, none of the nonesense mom listens too.

Favorites are probably Nirvana, David Bowie, STP.

Introduced my 4 year old to Funky Monks this morning on the way to school, went crazy bouncing in his seat in the back of the car.

One of their favorite songs that the wife absolutely hates is Du Hast, lol.

• Like 1

@South Austin hinted at this above -- I have two (biological) kids, and the second kind of got the short end of the stick, attention-wise, as they are about 18 months apart in age.

With my daughter, we played music for her every night in her crib, almost exclusively The Beatles or (LOL) Bob Scheider's "Lonelyland" CD.  That's what she liked.  (I like Bob's CD, too, but he ain't The Beatles.)  Her brother?  Well, for whatever reason, we didn't do that.  He slept in silence.

My daughter has grown into a prodigiously gifted musician, with all kinds of awards in the "legit" world along with a real knack for writing and singing her own stuff.  Her brother "plays" trumpet and mostly sounds like a wounded animal.  Did their paths diverge because we played music for one but not the other, from birth onward?  Did we unconsciously sense our daughter's talent?  Was it pure dumb luck?

I'm leaning towards the latter, but kids will surprise you, often, and what can SEEM like coincidence . . . maybe it isn't.

I read an article somewhere that said the amount of words that your child hears before the age of 2 is the strongest indicator of their ability to process language and understand concepts as they age.  I have no doubt that music is very similar.

I have influenced them in a number of ways, but probably the best and worst is with Merry Christmas from the Family.  It has been my now 16 year olds favorite for at least 5 years, and my now 9 year old knew every word in kindergarten.  I kept waiting for the note to come home asking what the "Mom got drunk and Dad got drunk" Christmas song was.

It is still the most played Christmas song in our household.

Lumineers Radio on Apple music is something we can all listen to without anyone complaining.

• Like 2

I

1 minute ago, jinx said:

I have influenced them in a number of ways, but probably the best and worst is with Merry Christmas from the Family.  It has been my now 16 year olds favorite for at least 5 years, and my now 9 year old knew every word in kindergarten.  I kept waiting for the note to come home asking what the "Mom got drunk and Dad got drunk" Christmas song was.

It is still the most played Christmas song in our household.

I knew Robert Earl Keen's Dad in connection with business.  We had lunch together at the Houston Petroleum Club and I asked him about that song.  He said that some points may have been exaggerated, but the essence of the song was true.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

I knew Robert Earl Keen's Dad in connection with business.  We had lunch together at the Houston Petroleum Club and I asked him about that song.  He said that some points may have been exaggerated, but the essence of the song was true.

That's awesome.

Chad Jr. is a fan of The Immigrant Song, which he associates with some animated movie about penguins, but whatever, I'll take it.

Two week road trip with just Chad and dad coming up this summer.  Gonna have to dream an appropriate two week Dad Rock playlist kicking off with the double-whammy of "Are You Gonna Go My Way?" and "Holiday Roads."  Triple-whammy if I throw in Immigrant Song.

12 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Chad Jr. is a fan of The Immigrant Song, which he associates with some animated movie about penguins, but whatever, I'll take it.

Two week road trip with just Chad and dad coming up this summer.  Gonna have to dream an appropriate two week Dad Rock playlist kicking off with the double-whammy of "Are You Gonna Go My Way?" and "Holiday Roads."  Triple-whammy if I throw in Immigrant Song.

My kids generally don’t like Zeppelin, but all love Immigrant Song and we all join in to scream the initial war cries whenever it comes on.

16 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Also relevant:

43 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

I'm now concerned about your son's experience going forward in grade school, given his unfortunate name of "Chad Fuck, Jr.".

My college aged daughter recorded ten songs on her iPhone and sent them to me a few years ago.  It was a blast to hear her on guitar and homemade percussion singing American Music by Violent Femmes, Tom Dooly, Folsom Prison Blues, In Spite of Ourselves, more murder ballads and some Irish folk songs.  And last December on trip to big bend my college aged son just wanted to hear the songs he would wake up to when in middle school and early high school.  Apparently I was listening to a lot of Decembrists and Iron and Wine, Flight of conchords and a bunch of songs from the tv show Ideal. 

• Like 1

On 1/22/2020 at 12:44 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

Slayer.

My 10 y/o son recently asked me what was my favorite song on Reign In Blood.  We agreed that Raining Blood is the best song.  It's a conversation I never thought I'd have...

#blessed

Edited by SnowAggy
  • Like 1

My 4 year old grandson is hooked on Old Town Road.Yeah, I'm gonna take my horse to the old town road
I'm gonna ride 'til I can't no more

Chad Jr. has been singing this - usually at the top of his lungs while on the toilet - since last summer. He begged his piano teacher relentlessly until he finally taught him. Now we get it on the piano too.

• Haha 1

as soon as my kids wanted ipods(8-10 year old range) but before phones, I loaded them all with my library(Zep, Stones, Who, AC/DC, Willie, Steely Dan, VH, Aerosmith(early), Beatles, Foo Fighters, Rush, Green Day, Cream/Clapton, Hendrix, Eagles, Clash, Queen, Floyd, Kansas, James Brown, Motown, Jim Croce, Johnny Cash, Skynyrd, Chicago(early), Journey, Run DMC, Beastie Boys, PE, etc).  this was before streaming so they had no choice.  they would ask me to buy a song every now and then but for a full year they had to listen to real music. 

once they got phones and could stream it ended but they know the songs and can sing along.  Son loves it, plays a little guitar.  Daughter won't sing along much but I know she knows the words.  She'd rather listen to top 40.

I tried to do my part

• Like 2