He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy! (Terry Jones RIP)

atomheartbevo

spacer.png

spacer.png

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/22/entertainment/terry-jones-dies-scli-gbr-intl/index.html

London (CNN)"Monty Python" star Terry Jones has died aged 77, Britain's PA Media news agency has reported, citing his agent.

Jones was a member of the much-loved British comedy group and also directed a number of its most popular films, including "Life of Brian" and "The Meaning of Life."

In recent years he had battled primary progressive aphasia, a rare form of dementia that affects speech. He died on Saturday evening with his wife by his side, his family said in a statement.

"Over the past few days his wife, children, extended family and many close friends have been constantly with Terry as he gently slipped away at his home in North London," the statement said.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 3

This isn't the news I needed to read today.

Anyway, this might be my favorite of his MP quotes:

Mandy Cohen: Who are you?
Wise Man #2: We are three wise men.
Mandy Cohen: What?
Wise Man #1: We are three wise men.
Mandy Cohen: What are you doing creeping around a cow shed at two o'clock in the morning? That doesn't sound very wise to me.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

His performance of Mandy Cohen made Life of Brian.  

I always crack up when "she" is talking about Brian's father the Roman and says "Naughtius Maximus his name was. Hmm. Promised me the known world he did. I was to be taken to Rome, House by the Forum. Slaves. Asses' milk. As much gold as I could eat. Then, he, having his way with me had... voom! Like a rat out of an aqueduct."

The "known world"  part just kills me.  As if there Mandy would be aware of a part of the world that was not yet known.  

Edited by Hornius Emeritus
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, bolverk said:

This isn't the news I needed to read today.

Anyway, this might be my favorite of his MP quotes:

Mandy Cohen: Who are you?
Wise Man #2: We are three wise men.
Mandy Cohen: What?
Wise Man #1: We are three wise men.
Mandy Cohen: What are you doing creeping around a cow shed at two o'clock in the morning? That doesn't sound very wise to me.

MANDY: What star sign is he?

WISE MAN #2: Uh, Capricorn.

MANDY: Uhh, Capricorn, eh? What are they like?

WISE MAN #2: Ooh, but... he is the son of God, our Messiah.

WISE MAN #1: King of the Jews.

MANDY: And that's Capricorn, is it?

WISE MAN #2: Uh, no, no, no. That's just him.

MANDY: Ohh, I was going to say, 'Otherwise, there'd be a lot of them.' sniff

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

I always crack up when "she" is talking about Brian's father the Roman and says "Naughtius Maximus his name was. Hmm. Promised me the known world he did. I was to be taken to Rome, House by the Forum. Slaves. Asses' milk. As much gold as I could eat. Then, he, having his way with me had... voom! Like a rat out of an aqueduct."

The "known world"  part just kills me.  As if there Mandy would be aware of a part of the world that was not yet known.  

You mean, you were raped?!

Well, at first, yes. 

3 hours ago, Hate said:

Why?? So you can kill off John Cleese?

I thought about that, but I decided I don't actually have that type of power.  My powers are limited to whatever shirt I'm wearing definitely has an effect on how OSU plays in pretty much any sport I'm watching.  I also suspect that when I flip over to an OSU game, my watching instantly effects how they are playing (to the negative).  So really, I should never watch OSU sports and everything will....fuck.  If I'm wrong about my powers, I might actually kill John Cleese next Tuesday.   

Sad news. Only learned about this yesterday, when YouTube recommended an interview of Michael Palin "remembering" Terry.

Of course, my immediate reaction was to binge watch some cherished scenes, songs, and sketches he featured in. This one's probably my favorite. The premise is just so absurdly hilarious.

I've hidden others in a spoiler tag to avoid longcatting this page.

Spoiler

Performing this song in today's climate would be career suicide, which was kind of its point. Oh, wells.

A deleted scene from The Meaning of Life. What a team these two were!

And another scene from The Meaning of Life. Surreal and Suessian, but for adults.

Thank you for all the laughs, Mr. Jones. I know he was being darkly humorous, but that final line in Cleese's tweet gave me the real sads.

Time makes fools of us all.