Houston to Denver - Driving

Asithappens

2 hours ago, Asithappens said:

I-35 to I-70?

that route is 90 or 100 extra miles than going up 87 through NE new mexico or 287 through eastern colorado, so it's an hour slower despite some construction east of amarillo and south of denver.  i'd go up 87 out of amarillo just to avoid spending any time in oklahoma. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Years ago had to move my wife up there for a multi-month work project, we did 45/287 to Amarillo, ate dinner and stayed there for the night. Leave Amarillo on 87 and go through Panhandle/NE New Mexico until you hit I-25 just south of NM/CO border. 25 runs all the way into Denver. I seem to recall it felt like a surprisingly easy trip.

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, elfenix said:

that route is 90 or 100 extra miles than going up 87 through NE new mexico or 287 through eastern colorado, so it's an hour slower despite some construction east of amarillo and south of denver.  i'd go up 87 out of amarillo just to avoid spending any time in oklahoma. 

Thanks. 

From what I've read while the I-35/I-70 may be longer in miles it's about the same in time. Maybe that's no longer true.

One of my considerations is that I'll be driving through the night, so interstate seems to have the edge over the other route. 

And I get ya on the Okie avoidance factor. 

And oh yeah, I'm planning on driving straight through. So if the shit hits the fan... I guess I don't know if the shit hits the fan.

Edited by Asithappens

The only stretch of the I45 - US287 - NM64 - I25 route is the cluster getting through Ft. Worth.  I25 between Colorado Springs and Denver is under some serious construction - it can fine sometimes, and really bad at times.  You can't avoid it, just sit back and enjoy it....

It's basically 10 hrs to Amarillo.  We time our departure at about noon, that gets us there at, well, 10pm.  The Hampton Inn, Fairfield Inn type chains in Amarillo fill up for the night.  Don't assume you can just stroll in and grab a room.  Last couple of trips wife and I have powered through to Dumas.  The Hampton Inn there is surprisingly good.  I think Clayton NM only has one decent hotel if you can get that far on day one.

Edited by gecko

1 hour ago, DonnyKerabatsos said:

I prefer the 287 route thru Eastern Colorado to get to I-70. The traffic is light, the roads are in good shape and you can haul ass most of the time. You might have a construction zone or two but they are generally painless.

Yep. This is way more better...avoid Oklahoma altogether. 

Edited by Iceman

I just did this about a month ago 

45 -> 287 -> 87 -> 25 route 

Left Houston a little after 7, got into Raton around 6:30 (had a dog, so more stops) 

Stopped in Raton because of snow in northern NM/southern CO. 

And you can avoid the construction on 25 between COS and Denver if you detour through Monument on 105. Cut like 45-60 min out of my drive

If you’re going through Raton, watch the weather. I had to stop early Bc of chain laws at the pass. Was fine by the next morning.  Also if you try 70 coming from the east, it shuts down for nasty weather. 

Edited by Js1

48 minutes ago, DonnyKerabatsos said:

the Raton Pass sucks, avoid it if all possible.

5-My-Cousin-Vinny-quotes.gif

Raton Pass is the preferred route. Never had a problem with random deer/antelope and Raton is not hard to traverse. Made that trip dozens of times good weather and bad.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, gecko said:

The only stretch of the I45 - US287 - NM64 - I25 route is the cluster getting through Ft. Worth.  I25 between Colorado Springs and Denver is under some serious construction - it can fine sometimes, and really bad at times.  You can't avoid it, just sit back and enjoy it....

It's basically 10 hrs to Amarillo.  We time our departure at about noon, that gets us there at, well, 10pm.  The Hampton Inn, Fairfield Inn type chains in Amarillo fill up for the night.  Don't assume you can just stroll in and grab a room.  Last couple of trips wife and I have powered through to Dumas.  The Hampton Inn there is surprisingly good.  I think Clayton NM only has one decent hotel if you can get that far on day one.

What he said on route.  We drive to CO every summer and do this.  We stay on the west side at the Residence Inn off of Woflin.  If you only need one room, the Courtyardand Embassy Suites in downtown are nice and within walking distance of a good pizza place (Moondoggy) and a good brewpub (Six Car.)  Tyler's is good BBQ on the SW side of town.  .

21 hours ago, gecko said:

It's basically 10 hrs to Amarillo.  We time our departure at about noon, that gets us there at, well, 10pm.  The Hampton Inn, Fairfield Inn type chains in Amarillo fill up for the night.  Don't assume you can just stroll in and grab a room.  Last couple of trips wife and I have powered through to Dumas.

had a same Amarillo experience but in the opposite direction. No room at the inn.

had to power thru to Plainview, which is no fun when you are ready to be done for the night.

Edited by yoladu

19 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

I've done this trip many times and I'm on team I-35/I-70.  Put it on cruise control and watch the odometer click.  Plenty of decent Hampton Inns along the way in Kansas if you hit the wall and need to rack.  Not so much on the other routes. 

Yep.  I've made some version of this drive probably 30+ times.  I'm firmly on team 35/70 as well.  Less stress, less chance of a ticket (looking at you, NM) and overall an easier drive.  And the higher speed limits negate the longer distance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yoladu said:

had a same Amarillo experience but in the opposite direction. No room at the inn.

had to power thru to Plainview, which is no fun when you are ready to be done for the night.

They have this thing in 2020 called the internet where you can book a hotel room online and it is yours when you arrive in that city.  If you plan to stop ahead of time for the night, not an issue. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Js1 said:

They have this thing in 2020 called the internet where you can book a hotel room online and it is yours when you arrive in that city.  If you plan to stop ahead of time for the night, not an issue. 

"hey Jethro, run in there and ring the bell on the desk and ask em if they have any vacancy..."

On 1/22/2020 at 3:05 PM, Js1 said:

I just did this about a month ago 

45 -> 287 -> 87 -> 25 route 

Left Houston a little after 7, got into Raton around 6:30 (had a dog, so more stops) 

Stopped in Raton because of snow in northern NM/southern CO. 

And you can avoid the construction on 25 between COS and Denver if you detour through Monument on 105. Cut like 45-60 min out of my drive

If you’re going through Raton, watch the weather. I had to stop early Bc of chain laws at the pass. Was fine by the next morning.  Also if you try 70 coming from the east, it shuts down for nasty weather. 

So you're saying it was Snowin' on Raton? Come mornin' you were through them hills and gone?

• Like 2

Doing this next week and finally going to the Big Texan only because I hope someone is doing the 72 oz challenge and I can show my obstinate 15 year old that, no, she cant eat that much steak, a potato, salad and small appetizer.  She thinks she could.  5'2" and maybe 115.  No freaking way.

1 hour ago, Macanudo said:

Doing this next week and finally going to the Big Texan only because I hope someone is doing the 72 oz challenge and I can show my obstinate 15 year old that, no, she cant eat that much steak, a potato, salad and small appetizer.  She thinks she could.  5'2" and maybe 115.  No freaking way.

This woman ate 3 of them in 20 minutes...

I like the 287>87>I25 route up to Co except for FtW traffic as mentioned.  On family vacation trips, we usually overnighted in Amarillo, took the kids out to paint the cadillacs early in the morning, then headed on NW.  If traveling with someone that had never been up that way, we like to stop at Capulin also and drive up  to the top of the volcano.  

Edited by davidg

• 9 months later...