Houston to Denver - Driving

Asithappens

10 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

Westside Grill in Quanah on 287 has never let me down. 

If you have the time, Palo Duro Canyon is gorgeous. @Nicole44 is from that area.

image.png.ebacb951ea7e0750eddc15b6d016967f.png

stopping a night to visit caprock canyon then palo duro. hardest part is finding any decent places to sleep in that part of the panhandle. 

PD is like 20 miles from Amarillo. 

Caprock Canyons State Park?  Yeah, that’s remote. 

maybe Childress for overnight, then Amarillo next evening?

Edited by slorch

On 1/22/2020 at 2:36 PM, tx 3 putt said:

Be aware, there are services that track Texas vehicles entering and leaving Colorado. They then sell that information to pd’s 

But you would have to be speeding or committing another violation to be stopped, right?  There would have to be probable cause to search you for anything.  (Full disclosure: not a lawyer).

25 minutes ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

But you would have to be speeding or committing another violation to be stopped, right?  There would have to be probable cause to search you for anything.  (Full disclosure: not a lawyer).

You’re vehicle was recently in CO, that’s reason enough you hippie !

• Like 1

On 10/30/2020 at 11:19 AM, Texas St. Armadillos said:

Weaving, crossing white line, unsafe lane change, equipment violation... they make one up then call K9. At least that's how it works in Wise County.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 10/30/2020 at 9:02 AM, slorch said:

PD is like 20 miles from Amarillo. 

Caprock Canyons State Park?  Yeah, that’s remote. 

maybe Childress for overnight, then Amarillo next evening?

Childress isn't that far from AMA.  Maybe 75 miles.

This summer, I took Highway 6 south from Quanah and just enjoyed a different drive home instead of 287 to FW and then on to I-45.    It took a little longer but was something other than the normal.   

31 minutes ago, Coyote said:

You think of distance like my wife. 

Childress to Amarillo is about a 2 hour drive.

It's about 70 miles.  Sure, there a few stop lights and speed zones but if it takes you 2 hours to drive 70 miles then you drive like your grandma.

13 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

The googles says Childress to Amarillo is 117 miles.  So, closer to two hours, especially paying attention to speed limits in those small towns between (I'm looking at YOU Clarendon).

Yep, obey those small town speed limits. They’ll nail you in Estelline, Clarendon, or Claude in a heartbeat.  BTW, Best Western Red River Inn in Clarendon is a good stay for cheap (long story) and a very good Thai restaurant only a block away.

• Like 1

Feel free to speed through New Mexico. We got a ticket there a few years back and it was only like $70. The cop said that he used to be a cop in Texas, but liked it much better in New Mexico as he didn't feel the need to give as many warnings and people really weren't that upset compared to Texas speeding tickets.

18 hours ago, Horn Draoi said:

Yep, obey those small town speed limits. They’ll nail you in Estelline, Clarendon, or Claude in a heartbeat.  BTW, Best Western Red River Inn in Clarendon is a good stay for cheap (long story) and a very good Thai restaurant only a block away.

Estelline like a motherfucker.

Do Not get back up to highway speed before you get to the signs, which seemingly are much farther out of town than they should be.

On 11/4/2020 at 11:44 PM, Macanudo said:

Childress isn't that far from AMA.  Maybe 75 miles.

This summer, I took Highway 6 south from Quanah and just enjoyed a different drive home instead of 287 to FW and then on to I-45.    It took a little longer but was something other than the normal.   

when I suggested Childress, I was thinking he could shoot down to Caprock Canyons SP in the morning and then up to Palo Duro for the afternoon and crash at Amarillo.  That's a long day, for sure.  I was just thinking where the most decent hotels might be.  Then he disclosed he was considering Turkey, so that was a big difference.   On this board, you never know how hoity-toity/ needy someone might be.