Houston Texans Offseason 2020

The Earl of Texas

Texans have $60M to work with in cap space, but that number is inflated if we extend Deshaun which people expect to happen. We will also need to sign Tunsil to avoid the mega hit from his 5th year option and undo the potential disaster of trading multiple first round picks away without getting a long-term commitment in return. Mr. Bill doesn't seem to like to sign expensive FAs, so I imagine Tunsil and Deshaun will get taken care of, and we'll sign a ton of fillers to augment our woeful draft picks.

Texans D was 28th against the pass. This is two fold - our secondary underperformed and our pass rush is abysmal. Texans D was 25th against the rush as well. So, very likely we will need to sign a 3-4 DE and a 3-4 OLB or ILB who will be able to improve both run stop and pass rush - not the easiest things to find, and we need to find at least two. Hopefully Jacob Martin can cement an OLB spot and allow us to add quality depth instead of searching for a starter. We will need to add both a CB and a S as well. While our secondary is young and showed some promise this year, they need depth and most likely an experienced add in at least one of these positions. Hopefully, change of DC will bring a change of scheme that will resolve some obvious schematic issues, but the bottom line is talent must be added and it must contribute quickly. It is both a good draft and good FA pool for secondary, DEs and OLBs will be harder to come by but we do have the advantage of competing for talent against fewer 3-4 teams than there are 4-3 teams.

Texans O was obviously the bright spot, but needs improvement. OL needs help, but watching the team this year, I think we all noticed a lot of sacks in this campaign were not on the O-Line, still somewhere that needs improvement, but it improved this year and is reasonably expected to improve again. Tunsil was a well deserved Pro Bowler, but Max Scharping and Tytus Howard were both very good in their rookie campaigns. We need OL depth so expect a FA and a draft pick to be used. Lamar Miller and Carlos Hyde both are FAs, price per production between the two is not even close so expect to re-sign Hyde, his combo with Duke Johnson was very effective and frankly he's just a tougher back than Miller and mroe fit to our scheme. We picked up the 5th year option on Will Fuller, and god knows why at this point, but he will be back, and with Stills emerging and some depth there, I doubt we will pursue anything further at WR unless we draft Fuller's replacement, which would be a good idea - if all we need oyu to do is take the top off of the D, great speed with unpolished skills can be found late in the draft. TE... I mean, who fucking knows. I like the guys we have and they produced fine for what they are and what they were asked to do, but we're the Texans so expect no fewer than all 7 draft picks used on TEs.

Our personnel needs, coupled with the FA pool and our draft situation, will tell us a lot about Mr. Bill and his Who's' On First GM experiment. While this might depress you, remember, we had what could be argued as the worst GM in NFL history for more than a decade, so it's not even our low point.

Yes, it was a horrible end to the season, but we won the division and won a playoff game and about 20+ teams would trade places with us hot-quick so it's not all bad.

Draft picks are as follows:

2nd Round (57)

3rd Round (90)

3rd Round (Unknown at this time, but we will likely receive a compensatory pick here)

4th round (from Miami)

4th Round

5th Round

7th Round

lulz at ‘full recovery’.  He can recover 100% from the groin injury and he’ll still shred his rotator cuff wiping after his morning shit.

Also, I think we only have one 3rd rounder right?  Our own went for Duke, and the one we got from Seattle in the Clowney trade went for Conley....

Edited by Ignatius

God damn it. First Dusty Baker and now it is confirmed that Buttchin is GM along with Rasputin Easterby. It'd be nice if Cal would lay off the fucking scotch and paid attention to what's going on with his fucking team.

https://sportsradio610.radio.com/articles/texans-name-bill-obrien-gm-promote-jack-easterby

Edited by Iconoclast Texan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TexasMan said:

I give up on this shit 

This is where I'm at. Love the players on this team, but the front office is a bunch of dumbass dickheads. How the fuck is pastor-guru-fuckface Jack Easterby VP of Football Operations? How can fatty McNair think this is the right path forward?

I give up on this shit, too.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, The Earl of Texas said:

This is one of my favorite corporate moves:

"We aren't getting the return on this program we expected"

"But we're leading all of our competitors on that front. It's one of the few wins we have as an organization."

"Fire their ass."

• Like 1

If anyone wondered what kind of owner Cal McNair is going to turn out to be...here's your sign.

As expected, this move is being savaged (and rightly so) by the media and fanbase, though the fans will keep showing up to the games like lemmings anyway. Would the vitriol be as high if Bob McNair were still alive? Bob may have not been the greatest owner, but he was a great Houstonian, business leader, and philanthropist. Cal is none of those things at this point other than a member of the lucky sperm club. As such, he isn't going to engender any benefit of the doubt on moves like this, nor should he. We aren't in Dan Snyder or Jimmy Haslam territory...yet...but certainly seems like we are in Bud Adams or John McMullen territory (to recall "great" 🙄 Houston sports owners of yesteryear)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zavala said:

Ah just like the good ole days

colts-sign-andre-johnson.jpg?itok=1TER0H

One of the best players in the history of the game who will never get the recognition he deserves...simply because he was loyal to a shitass organization.  He’s a poster child for some of the reasons I tried to like the Texans in the beginning but could never get there.

Bill O’Brien represents the polar opposite of Johnson’s greatness. 

Edited by Iceman
  • Like 2