Houston Texans Offseason 2020

The Earl of Texas

Siap...

Houston Texans: Tennessee outside linebackers coach Chris Rumph is joining the Texans staff, Rivals reports. We’ve been hearing, and shared earlier today, that Rumph had been speaking with a number of NFL teams.

https://www.chron.com/sports/texans/article/Texans-hire-University-Tennessee-Chris-Rumph-coach-15044424.php

Edited by LTtxfan

15 hours ago, Hate said:

I just saw on the scroll at the bottom of the screen on ESPN that BOB will give up play calling to the OC, Tim Kelly. This is a joke, right?

I'm sure it'll be like Tom-Tim

Kelly makes the call from the booth
BoB overrules it and transmits his genius call to the field 

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

I'm sure it'll be like Tom-Tim

Kelly makes the call from the booth
BoB overrules it and transmits his genius call to the field 

BTW, he has a horrible resume. It makes Mark Hagen look good.

College coaching

Kelly spent the 2008-09 seasons at Illinois-Wesleyan, where he was the defensive graduate assistant. He served as the defensive coordinator, defensive line coach and recruiting coordinator at Minnesota State Moorhead for the 2010 season. In 2011 Kelly served as a graduate assistant at Ball State. He also served as a graduate assistant at Penn State, under Head Coach Bill O’Brien in 2012 and 2013.

NFL

Starting in 2014, Kelly spent three years as offensive quality control coach for head coach Bill O'Brien and the Houston Texans. He also assisted Mike Devlin with the offensive line in 2016. He served as the tight ends coach in 2017 and 2018. On February 5, 2019, Kelly was named as the offensive coordinator of the Houston Texans.

6 hours ago, Bevo said:

BTW, he has a horrible resume. It makes Mark Hagen look good.

College coaching

Kelly spent the 2008-09 seasons at Illinois-Wesleyan, where he was the defensive graduate assistant. He served as the defensive coordinator, defensive line coach and recruiting coordinator at Minnesota State Moorhead for the 2010 season. In 2011 Kelly served as a graduate assistant at Ball State. He also served as a graduate assistant at Penn State, under Head Coach Bill O’Brien in 2012 and 2013.

NFL

Starting in 2014, Kelly spent three years as offensive quality control coach for head coach Bill O'Brien and the Houston Texans. He also assisted Mike Devlin with the offensive line in 2016. He served as the tight ends coach in 2017 and 2018. On February 5, 2019, Kelly was named as the offensive coordinator of the Houston Texans.

How did he become OC with the Texans, other than being BOB's lackey at Penn State?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2020 at 11:11 PM, The Earl of Texas said:

The Texans got three compensatory picks for the draft - a 3rd rounder and two 7th rounders.

Draft picks now as follows by round:

A good GM can turn that into solid depth and grab a starter or two. Hopefully we hire one.

Here are the actual numbers.

• 2nd-57th overall 
  • 3rd-90th overall
  • 4th-108th overall  (via Miami)
  • 4th-128th overall
  • 5th-171st overall
  • 7th-240th overall 
  • 7th-248th overall
  • 7th-250th overall 
Edited by HtownHorn

Roby re-signs.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28908164/source-cb-bradley-roby-agrees-terms-texans

Cornerback Bradley Roby has agreed to terms with the Houston Texans, a source confirmed to ESPN.

The agreement was first reported Sunday by the Houston Chronicle.

Last offseason, Roby signed in Houston on a one-year, prove-it deal. He played in 10 games for Houston in 2019, missing five games in the middle of the season as he recovered from a hamstring injury.

After Roby played well in his return from his injury, Texans head coach Bill O'Brien praised the veteran cornerback but said he needed to be able to stay on the field.

During the 2019 season, Roby had two interceptions, one of which he returned 27 yards for a touchdown against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He also had a forced fumble, sack and eight passes defensed. His other pick came earlier in the season against the Patriots.

Roby, who turns 28 on May 1, was a first-round draft pick by the Denver Broncos in 2014. In 89 career games he has 9 interceptions, 68 passes defensed, 8 forced fumbles, 4 sacks and 274 tackles.

Good signing. I thought he was gone. Can now concentrate on pass rush with early picks. 

Hopkins being traded is new speculation.  I’m ok with it if indeed he is squawking about his contract already. He’d get a good return  

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/john-mcclain/amp/McClain-DeAndre-Hopkins-trade-rumors-free-agency-15134054.php?__twitter_impression=true

Edited by TonyTexas

3 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

uhm, yeah...about that...

They have plenty of picks. Just not a 1st rounder. 

2nd round (57th overall)

3rd round (90th overall)

4th round (from Miami 111th overall via Laremy Tunsil and Kenny Stills trade)

4th round (131st overall)

5th round (171st overall)

7th round (240th overall)

7th round (compensatory pick 248th overall)

7th round (compensatory pick 250th overall)

2 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

They have plenty of picks. Just not a 1st rounder. 

2nd round (57th overall)

3rd round (90th overall)

4th round (from Miami 111th overall via Laremy Tunsil and Kenny Stills trade)

4th round (131st overall)

5th round (171st overall)

7th round (240th overall)

7th round (compensatory pick 248th overall)

7th round (compensatory pick 250th overall)

great big MEH. Not many championship teams built on 4th-7th rounders

BoB should have waited for Goodell to confirm the season was going to be cancelled due to Covid before cancelling it for the Texans.  Way to be proactive there, Bob.  

I was an Oilers season ticket holder for years.  Right by the bearded dude in the overalls.  I was going to buy Texans season tickets in 2006 before abruptly moving to Austin.  I am so so glad I have never spent a dime on this team.  I am done.  Fantasy football nomad from here on out.

Edited by A-Tex Devil

2 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

BoB should have waited for Goodell to confirm the season was going to be cancelled due to Covid before cancelling it for the Texans.  Way to be proactive there, Bob.  

I was an Oilers season ticket holder for years.  Right by the bearded dude in the overalls.  I was going to buy Texans season tickets in 2006 before abruptly moving to Austin.  I am so so glad I have never spent a dime on this team.  I am done.  Fantasy football nomad from here on out.

I'd rather catch Coronavirus than watch the Texans next season.