Houston Texans Offseason 2020

The Earl of Texas

17 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

The latest chapter in this clown show

Yeah, 105.3 in Dallas just had Irvin on for a segment and he went into detail about it as well.   Now we all know Mike will carry on sometimes, but he's said the same quote 3 different times now so I have no reason to believe he is exaggerating.  

1 hour ago, The Earl of Texas said:

Even if this were as bad as it appears, DeAndre is a classy guy and he would probably say something classy like this. But, I think him bothering to tweet about it being blown way out of proportion at all probably says a lot.

He's a classy guy who wants the trade to go through and is trying to get his new team to give him a big extension.  There's no denial in his statement.

Edited by Chuckie Finster

Define around as far as the baby mommas go.  Is it in the locker room?  If so, I agree with BOB.  The locker room is a sanctuary for the team and should be off limits to anyone not team personnel or people otherwise granted access.

Is BOB gonna have to face the music and answer hard questions about this? Seems like he’s loving the corona distraction right now but he needs to be in front of some microphones ASAP getting grilled about his stupid ass decision making

I fucking hate him and I’m pretty sure I’m done with this franchise

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Stella Link said:

The silence from BOB, McNair and the Texans organization is deafening.  

If Michael Irvin's comments were not true, or even half true, I would be calling a press conference to clear it up.  In BOB fashion, he probably thinks this will just blow over.  

Well, his abject playoff failure was only local news for less than 12 hours before the MLB came out with their Astros report. The Chinese virus is giving him cover again.

• Like 1

They will franchise tag him for a couple of years if necessary.  DeShaun isn't going anywhere soon.  Maybe he can make some sort of power play with Cal and say that it is either him or BOB after next season.  I don't think there is any way that BOB won't be on the sideline this next season, but there may be hope for the one after that. 

There won't be much of a market for him.  Nobody is going to sign him to more than a one year (guaranteed) deal.  He may not even be on a roster when training camps starts.  Teams may wait until one of their own RBs get hurt to bring him in and take a look.  Of course, I could be absolutely wrong on this but he hasn't looked like the Todd Gurley of 2015 through the first 10 games or so of 2018. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28871296/2020-nfl-free-agency-trade-grades-bill-barnwell-tracks-every-big-signing-move

Eric Murray, S, Houston Texans

The deal: Three years, $20.5 million
Grade: D+

A move from the Texans where they don't understand positional scarcity and overvalue a player who shouldn't have had anywhere close to this sort of market? I don't believe it, either. Murray carved out a role on the Chiefs as an excellent special-teamer who was overmatched when used as a regular safety. Kansas City mostly used him as a desperation option at free safety while Eric Berry and Daniel Sorensen were injured in 2018; but when Berry and Sorensen returned during the second half, Murray lost his job.

The Chiefs then traded Murray to the Browns for Emmanuel Ogbah, and though Murray stepped in while the Browns lost their entire starting secondary to injuries, he missed two months with a knee injury of his own, returning to regular action only in Week 17.

As a special-teamer coming off of a knee injury who profiles as an ideal fourth safety and a questionable third option, Murray's market probably should have come in somewhere around one year and $2 million. The Texans, naturally, are giving him a three-year deal for more than $20 million. Even if just one year of this contract is guaranteed, the Texans misread or simply didn't pay attention to the low-end safety market here.

• Like 1

Every time I see this thread get bumped, my insides feel sick and I despair. 

A few posts up someone brought up the common bitch about Texans fans need to stop selling out the stadium. That’s one strategy, and it might result in your team playing in another city. All you can do is hope that public bitching reaches a fever pitch and gets echoed constantly by local media until the vain owners decide to act. I’ve never heard of a professional team owner selling his franchise because fans hated him. See: Jerry Jones, Dan Snyder, Alex Spanos, Drayton McClain, etc. 

9 hours ago, SimkinsMan said:

bca58468120cb3a4df5e3e16c4a5d582.jpg

Thanks BoB. You’re the best.

I believe he could have got more for Clowney by acting earlier, and for Hopkins, and I want him fired as much as the next fan, but I do not believe this trade summary table is as damning as most. 

Just looking at the picks, offsetting the gives and gets in the same rounds* and excluding the non-contributors thrown in, they traded two first rounders, Hopkins, and Clowney’s rights (that were essentially worthless at that point) for a franchise LT, Kenny Stills, Duke Johnson, David Johnson, Conley, and a fourth rounder. The two #1’s for Tunsil is probably market value.

So was it a good swap of Hopkins plus Clowney’s franchise rights for Stills, Johnson & Johnson, Conley, and a #4? Not if you hold to the disingenuous notion that Clowney was a top 5 DE and under contract, neither of which was true. They might have got a #1 if they traded him before the 2018 season, but by 2019 and him wanting a big contract, he may have got a #2 and BoB farted around and got a #3. Is there something behind the scenes with Hopkins that was causing locker room drama and/or contract holdout problems that warranted getting rid of him at a discount? Stills and Duke Johnson provided a lot of value last year, Conley at least contributed at CB. If (big if) David Johnson can return to 2016-2017 form with Watson and the Houston OL, the trade might look good. 

*offsetting picks of the same round also makes the trades look worse, because they gave up picks late in each round and most of the picks they received were early in the rounds. There’s some Jimmy Johnson value in there. 

Why is Jacob Martin not included in that graphic. The kid has 6.5 sacks in the past two years in a handful of snaps. He was the best pure pass rusher the Texans had after Watt got hurt. He's much better than Mingo. Clowney contributed 12 sacks as a full time starter in the past 2 seasons. I get that Clowney is very good against the run, but Seattle's rush defense was just as bad as the Texans last year.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2020 at 4:41 PM, HtownHorn said:

Why is Jacob Martin not included in that graphic. The kid has 6.5 sacks in the past two years in a handful of snaps. He was the best pure pass rusher the Texans had after Watt got hurt. He's much better than Mingo. Clowney contributed 12 sacks as a full time starter in the past 2 seasons. I get that Clowney is very good against the run, but Seattle's rush defense was just as bad as the Texans last year.

Yeah, I have high hopes for Omenihu and Martin next year; that combo should be able to combine for 10-12 sacks next year...

23 minutes ago, Updawg said:

Saw something about tunsil turning down an offer at $18m a year.

He has the Texans bent over. They have to give him what he wants to justify what they gave up to get him. Stupid to not have an extension be a condition of that trade. 

Two friends were on the season ticket holder town hall conference call yesterday. Both hung up in less than 5 minutes. It was Cal and BoB talking about trusting them, having to see the big picture, Hopkins planned to hold out even though there were 3 years left on his contract (I guess because this is the last off-season veterans are allowed to holdout before the new CBA kicks in?). 

They will need that money for Watson and Tunsil extensions. If Tunsil fucks with them too much, they have him one more season on his rookie deal and good value for the next season franchise tag. If this season got canceled but the contract obligations roll over to the next calendar year, he’s going to be 30 after that first year on the franchise tag. He might consider using a little lube in his negotiations. 

Texans' Bill O'Brien stands by trade, says DeAndre Hopkins wanted raise 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28993145/texans-bill-obrien-says-deandre-hopkins-wanted-raise

Stephen A. fed up with O'Brien, implores Watson to demand a trade

https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/28946940

Edited by LTtxfan

2020: Brandin Cooks, Randall Cobb, Kenny Stills, Will Fuller, David Johnson, Duke Johnson

2019: Hopkins, Stills, Fuller, Hyde, Duke

On paper, I think it’s better. We had absolutely no offense last year when Fuller was off the field. I mean, fucking zero. I think this helps.