Houston Texans Offseason 2020

The Earl of Texas

How many concussions has this guy had? I like Cooks ok but he's no replacement for Hopkins.

from a salary cap perspective, we only owe him $8MM this year and can cut him for $0 at the end. the Rams taking on a $22MM cap hit.
given all the quality WRs/QBs in the draft, would love to see an edge drop.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29018495/sources-rams-trading-brandin-cooks-texans

Sources: Rams trading Brandin Cooks to Texans

The Texans will send a 2020 second-round NFL draft pick (No. 57 overall) to the Rams for Cooks and a 2022 fourth-round pick, sources said.

However, last season Cooks' production declined as he experienced a drop in targets and was sidelined for two games because of recurring concussions. Cooks caught 42 passes for 583 yards and two touchdowns.

Live Look at Non-Texan fans...

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Edited by LTtxfan

2 hours ago, BLKNSTY said:

from a salary cap perspective, we only owe him $8MM this year and can cut him for $0 at the end. the Rams taking on a $22MM cap hit.
given all the quality WRs/QBs in the draft, would love to see an edge drop.

2nd Round 2020 pick that Texans just GAVE AWAY should have lots quality WRs available to choose from for RAMS...WTF

ESPN NFL draft analyst Todd McShay's most recent mock draft has 12 wide receivers coming off of the board by the end of Round 2. 

BoB should be FIRED!!

ESPN...

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29018504/brandin-cooks-trade-grades-another-disaster-texans-admission-failure-rams

"Brandin Cooks trade grades: Another disaster for the Texans, and an admission of failure for the Rams"

Rams trade Brandin Cooks to Texans for second-round pick

• Los Angeles Rams get: 2020 second-round pick (No. 57)
  • Houston Texans get: WR Brandin Cooks, 2022 fourth-round pick

Rams grade: B
Texans grade: D+

Edited by LTtxfan

11 hours ago, Chad said:

I'm scratching my head. The Texans already have two deep threats in Stills and Fuller so they trade draft capital for a 3rd deep threat who was complete trash last season? Okay then.

They won’t have any cheap players after this season hardly. I guess BoB doesn’t realize this draft is allegedly loaded with WRs and other talent they could get on the cheap? Either that or he is trying his best to make sure Watson fails? Got literally nothing for Hopkins compared to other league FA moves. I get that the division is still winnable to a certain extent. Not sure what the jags are doing. Titans appear to be righting the ship. Not sure that Rivers can save the Colts. So if Texans win the division again BoB will be vindicated and do even more stupid shit in the off-season next year?

Barnwell destroys BOB again for this latest trade.  He gives the Rams a B and the Texans a D+. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29018504/brandin-cooks-trade-grades-another-disaster-texans-admission-failure-rams

The Rams took a 22MM salary cap hit. The 2nd highest cap hit ever behind Antonio Brown. Yeah they got a second round pick but IMO, Texans are only capable of picking up quality OLs\LBs in the second round. I don’t want any more Jaelyn Strongs and Braxton Millers, I want more Harpings, Cunninghams, McKinneys, Brooks Reid, Chester Pitts, Demeco Ryan’s, Connor Barwins. Let’s get one of those guys on Defense please.

You either get your skill players in the 1st round, sign them in free agency, or find them in the rough. Just my two cents.

Hopefully this makes all Texans fans feel better about this off season.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/this-team-was-beaten-to-the-punch-by-the-chiefs-for-patrick-mahomes-in-2017/ar-BB12QEqs?ocid=hplocalnews

We know how one decision and one draft pick can change the entire landscape of the National Football League. 

The New England Patriots’ decision to select Tom Brady in the sixth round of the 2000 NFL Draft is the most-notable example. He went on to win six Super Bowls (and counting).

However, something that happened (or didn’t happen) three years ago could have wide-ranging ramifications on the future of the NFL.

In 2017, the Kansas City Chiefs moved up to the 10th selection, trading with the Buffalo Bills, to land strong-armed quarterback prospect Patrick Mahomes.

The New England Patriots’ decision to select Tom Brady in the sixth round of the 2000 NFL Draft is the most-notable example. He went on to win six Super Bowls (and counting).

Seen as a project at the time, the Texas Tech product took over the NFL after sitting for the vast majority of his rookie season. Mahomes is coming off a record-breaking two-year run with the Chiefs that culminated in him earning MVP honors and leading Kansas City to a comeback win over the San Francisco 49ers in Super Bowl LIV.

But what if another team was able to jump Kansas City for the ability to draft Mahomes? 

NFL insider Matt Miller from Bleacher Report detailed this recently. He noted the Houston Texans had Mahomes as the top quarterback on their board leading up to the 2017 draft.

Houston was unable to move up for Mahomes. Instead, the Texans settled on a trade up with the Cleveland Browns for QB Deshaun Watson.

This is something else right here: The fortune of two franchises changing on a dime. Two young quarterbacks who entered the NFL the same year doing battle as conference rivals.

It’s not that Watson has proven to be a bust. Quite the opposite. He, too, is coming off a tremendous 2019 season that culminated in a playoff loss to Mahomes and the Chiefs. And Watson could one day be a Super Bowl champion.

Though the optics are different when it comes to these two quarterbacks and their current teams.

Mahomes enjoys a great relationship with Chiefs head coach Andy Reid. Meanwhile, Texans head coach and general manager Bill O’Brien has been on the receiving end of a ton of criticism in recent months. That includes from at least one former Texans player.

As Mahomes aims for a record-breaking contract at some point this offseason, rumors persist that Watson is not happy in Texas and could be dealt.

Just imagine how different things could have turned out if Houston was able to jump Kansas City and get Mahomes with the ninth pick.

Now, I don't think that the Texans did badly by "ending up" with DeShaun.  I think DeShaun would be even more successful if he had Andy Reid and the rest of the KC organization around him.  Mahomes would not likely be what he is if he were coached by BOB.  It just illustrates how the Texans always seem to be one step behind with Bob at the helm.

22 minutes ago, Hate said:

Hopefully this makes all Texans fans feel better about this off season.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/this-team-was-beaten-to-the-punch-by-the-chiefs-for-patrick-mahomes-in-2017/ar-BB12QEqs?ocid=hplocalnews

We know how one decision and one draft pick can change the entire landscape of the National Football League. 

However, something that happened (or didn’t happen) three years ago could have wide-ranging ramifications on the future of the NFL.

In 2017, the Kansas City Chiefs moved up to the 10th selection, trading with the Buffalo Bills, to land strong-armed quarterback prospect Patrick Mahomes.

Seen as a project at the time, the Texas Tech product took over the NFL after sitting for the vast majority of his rookie season. Mahomes is coming off a record-breaking two-year run with the Chiefs that culminated in him earning MVP honors and leading Kansas City to a comeback win over the San Francisco 49ers in Super Bowl LIV.

But what if another team was able to jump Kansas City for the ability to draft Mahomes? 

NFL insider Matt Miller from Bleacher Report detailed this recently. He noted the Houston Texans had Mahomes as the top quarterback on their board leading up to the 2017 draft.

Houston was unable to move up for Mahomes. Instead, the Texans settled on a trade up with the Cleveland Browns for QB Deshaun Watson.

This is something else right here: The fortune of two franchises changing on a dime. Two young quarterbacks who entered the NFL the same year doing battle as conference rivals.

It’s not that Watson has proven to be a bust. Quite the opposite. He, too, is coming off a tremendous 2019 season that culminated in a playoff loss to Mahomes and the Chiefs. And Watson could one day be a Super Bowl champion.

Though the optics are different when it comes to these two quarterbacks and their current teams.

Mahomes enjoys a great relationship with Chiefs head coach Andy Reid. Meanwhile, Texans head coach and general manager Bill O’Brien has been on the receiving end of a ton of criticism in recent months. That includes from at least one former Texans player.

As Mahomes aims for a record-breaking contract at some point this offseason, rumors persist that Watson is not happy in Texas and could be dealt.

Just imagine how different things could have turned out if Houston was able to jump Kansas City and get Mahomes with the ninth pick.

Now, I don't think that the Texans did badly by "ending up" with DeShaun.  I think DeShaun would be even more successful if he had Andy Reid and the rest of the KC organization around him.  Mahomes would not likely be what he is if he were coached by BOB.  It just illustrates how the Texans always seem to be one step behind with Bob at the helm.

Lulz, had the Chiefs taken Watson and the Texans got Mahomes, this same article would have been written just changing the names. It has nothing to do with the 2 QBs, and everything to do with the 2 HC/GMs.

• Like 1

Obligatory fuck BOB, but I ain’t complaining. One of these guys will be a Texan tomm and will be taking snaps day 1.
Grant Delpit
Xavier McKinney
Antoine Winfield
Ross Blacklock
AJ Epenesa
Yetur Gross-Matos
Marlon Davidson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I usually advocate taking the best player available, and if you are drafting for need you move up or down to get value. A lot of high end RB sitting on the board right now, but I doubt BoB would take one. Even if David Johnson is 100%, would you really pass up Swift or Dobbins? If so, trade down a little and get another 4th to build more low cost depth. BoB is going to fuck us again this offseason and pick that Iowa corn boy AJ Esperanto. 

I usually advocate taking the best player available, and if you are drafting for need you move up or down to get value. A lot of high end RB sitting on the board right now, but I doubt BoB would take one. Even if David Johnson is 100%, would you really pass up Swift or Dobbins? If so, trade down a little and get another 4th to build more low cost depth. BoB is going to fuck us again this offseason and pick that Iowa corn boy AJ Esperanto. 

I don’t see us burning a 2nd for an RB, especially after BOB and the Foreman experience. I wouldn’t complain with either Swift or Dobbins though.

4 hours ago, BLKNSTY said:

Obligatory fuck BOB, but I ain’t complaining. One of these guys will be a Texan tomm and will be taking snaps day 1.
Grant Delpit
Xavier McKinney
Antoine Winfield
Ross Blacklock
AJ Epenesa
Yetur Gross-Matos
Marlon Davidson

I like your list. I much prefer a defensive lineman at 40. I don’t think safety is a position of need at that spot. Fulton or Diggs at CB would be values.  We definitely don’t need to use that pick on a RB or WR

Edited by TonyTexas

If's and buts - I know. But if you had the choice would you keep Derion Conley & Duke Johnson or would you all rather have those additional 3rd round picks right now? Meaning you'd have (4) picks tonight instead of (2). I know which way i'd lean. I'd personally like to have the picks that were used for those guys instead. That's just me and my revisionism. 

6 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

As for tonight, i generally agree with this kind of approach. However, with the embarrassing performance in which the defense would still be hemorrhaging points had the clock not run out...I absolutely see defense as a TOP priority. I'll take anything on that side of the ball not only this pick but the next one as well. I don't care what offensive players are available. There's an absolute need there if you consider yourself a contender. You should know w/o a doubt that ur not nearly capable of dealing with a team like KC...if you're doing any kind of real self-assessing that is!

On 4/18/2020 at 10:19 PM, HtownHorn said:

Lulz, had the Chiefs taken Watson and the Texans got Mahomes, this same article would have been written just changing the names. It has nothing to do with the 2 QBs, and everything to do with the 2 HC/GMs.

I can't imagine any fan of the Texans reading that piece and immediately answering that hypothetical with exactly this. 

It obviously wouldn't have mattered because Andy Reid is a better coach, teacher, and play caller than Bill O Brien. 

So does the extension start after his rookie deal expires? So in 2020 he gets $10M+ and then 3 years at the $22M per. O'Brien is an idiot. He painted himself into this corner. I guess the best part is that it's only 3 years, so the next GM/Coach is completely hamstrung by a tier 2 LT.

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

So does the extension start after his rookie deal expires? So in 2020 he gets $10M+ and then 3 years at the $22M per. O'Brien is an idiot. He painted himself into this corner. I guess the best part is that it's only 3 years, so the next GM/Coach is completely hamstrung by a tier 2 LT.

I think people are getting carried away with O'Brienitis on this one---it's a good deal for Tunsil and a good deal for the Texans considering the new CBA is going to change the landscape of contracts in money and duration. Sure, O"Brien could have played it smarter earlier, but Tunsil plays a premium position that every team needs and now the organization can turn its attention to getting Deshaun locked up.

Just now, Gourmand said:

I think people are getting carried away with O'Brienitis on this one---it's a good deal for Tunsil and a good deal for the Texans considering the new CBA is going to change the landscape of contracts in money and duration. Sure, O"Brien could have played it smarter earlier, but Tunsil plays a premium position that every team needs and now the organization can turn its attention to getting Deshaun locked up.

I'm actually happy that the deal is only 3 years, but once again Bill's value of a player is the exact opposite of every other team in the NFL. Not that he had any choice here. Interesting the Tunsil was able to negotiate the deal himself and doesn't have to give a chunk to an agent. Good for him, if only he didn't false start twice every game.

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

I'm actually happy that the deal is only 3 years, but once again Bill's value of a player is the exact opposite of every other team in the NFL. Not that he had any choice here. Interesting the Tunsil was able to negotiate the deal himself and doesn't have to give a chunk to an agent. Good for him, if only he didn't false start twice every game.

How's that exactly? I'm pretty sure Tunsil is held in high regard across the league. 

4 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

For that kind of money, that son of a bitch had better stay down until the ball is snapped!  The O-line has a chnace to be really good next year if everyone can stay healthy. 

Just now, Hate said:

For that kind of money, that son of a bitch had better stay down until the ball is snapped!  The O-line has a chnace to be really good next year if everyone can stay healthy. 

You can say that about every position on offense. It has almost never actually happened for the Texans under BOB. Likely will not next year.

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

He's not the best LT in football. He's a very good one, but he's not $6M better than every other one.

Was Lane Johnson?

Best player doesn't necessarily equate to salary. And he won't be the highest paid T in a year. 

Look I get it, O'Brien is a clown GM. But at some point, if you consider yourself guided by reason and facts, you have to set aside that bias and admit the positive when called for. He's the epitome of a punching bag right now.

• Like 1