Full or Divided Kitchen Sink?

fluff

Lets hear it.  Been a divided fan all my life but remodeling the kitchen and would like to hear thoughts from folks that have gone from a divided sink to a full sink.

When I cook, I like to have a side full of hot soapy water for dirty dishes...If you have gone to a full sink, what do you do instead?

Divided especially if you have a disposal. Shit for kids is so small it’s constantly falling down into the disposal and you don’t find it until you turn it on. Those damn tiny forks and spoons are a bitch. Divided for life.

I switched to full when we re-did our kitchen. The plus on the full size is that you can wash larger pots and pans in it more easily. And aesthetically, I just think it looks better. The downside to the full is that you don't always have access to the disposal if there is a bunch of dishes in there and if you are trying to use the sink for cooking or cleaning vegetables, then you don't have the benefit of dividing it from the dishes if there are any dirty ones left in there. When I cook and there are dishes in the sink, I always end up doing the dishes beforehand because I don't want that shit all mixed up together.

I’ve had divided all my life and I just moved into a new house that has full.  I like the full better for how I/we use it.  Wife never (despite how many times I explained it) conformed to the idea that food can’t go down both sides.  So having only one drain that’s a disposal is great.  Pretty much just pile dirties up on the left while cooking to leave the right disposal side free and I’m good to go.  Only reason I could see wanting the split would be for warm soapy water mentioned earlier, but I never do that as I also own a dishwasher, which is pretty cool.

So, full vote from me.

• Haha 1

Just noticed you double posted.  so I am copying my reply to bump this to top

I resisted the change for years.  Kept my double bowl sink the first time we redid our kitchen.  I remodeled our kitchen a year and a half ago with a big single bowl fire clay farm sink at the insistence of the wife.  I have to admit, I love it.  Fireclay is bullet proof in the kitchen.  To me, it does not get beat up on the center divide from the handles of pots and pans.  There is more room for large pans.  And honestly, I rinse off a few things at a time and they go right into the dishwasher.  I since added stainless steel single bowls sinks in the utility and outdoor kitchen and love those as well. 

FYI, If you are getting a new DW too, go with a Bosch.   Best money you will spend.  You really don't have to pre-wash anything and it will come out perfectly clean.  So damn quite I cant tell it running.

Let me know if you have any other specific questions, I was in the kitchen and bath remodeling industry of almost two decades and would be happy to give you honest feedback on any products you are looking at.

1 hour ago, PorscheGuy said:

FYI, If you are getting a new DW too, go with a Bosch.   Best money you will spend.  You really don't have to pre-wash anything and it will come out perfectly clean.  So damn quite I cant tell it running.

Let me know if you have any other specific questions, I was in the kitchen and bath remodeling industry of almost two decades and would be happy to give you honest feedback on any products you are looking at.

Just ordered a Cove dishwasher to replace my Bosch...new(ish) line from Wolf-Subzero.  Nothing really wrong with the Bosch, just wanted the handles to match the other appliances.  I’ll report back once I get it installed and run it for a while.

Sounds like Surly is quite divided on this issue. I've always had a divided one and right now one half is kept only for baby and toddler things that need to be cleaned a certain way according to my wife. If I do remodel I will consider a full or at least a bigger farmhouse one with a larger bowl on one side as was mentioned earlier.

7 minutes ago, ZB'Tejas said:

Sounds like Surly is quite divided on this issue. I've always had a divided one and right now one half is kept only for baby and toddler things that need to be cleaned a certain way according to my wife. If I do remodel I will consider a full or at least a bigger farmhouse one with a larger bowl on one side as was mentioned earlier.

This the correct answer. Sinks are a multi function tool in a kitchen. One, single, big bowl limits multi tasking.  If I specify 2 sinks, I design an adjacent, but out of the main kitchen work area/ sink scullery with an additional dishwasher.