Full or Divided Kitchen Sink?

fluff

I went with single deep something very similar to this, https://www.efaucets.com/detail.asp?product_id=khu100-30  I got the deepest single I could get, which meant I did not do disposal.  Hasn't been an issue for us.  The advantages of the size has outweighed the losing of the disposal.  Think that 

My reasons are simply that we cook some pretty large stuff and use a lot of baking sheets, so the size is key.  I can fit my large cutting boards mostly down in the sink (I think it's 9 inches deep) and large sheet pans fit flat.  I like the metal rack in the bottom in that it protects the basin.  Instead of dumping the plates in the soapy side we just 

I will give you one suggestion: add a small instant on water heater under the sink.  That way you have instant hot water for the sink and the dishwasher.  Hotter for dishwasher means better cleaning.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2020 at 5:32 PM, PorscheGuy said:

Just noticed you double posted.  so I am copying my reply to bump this to top

I resisted the change for years.  Kept my double bowl sink the first time we redid our kitchen.  I remodeled our kitchen a year and a half ago with a big single bowl fire clay farm sink at the insistence of the wife.  I have to admit, I love it.  Fireclay is bullet proof in the kitchen.  To me, it does not get beat up on the center divide from the handles of pots and pans.  There is more room for large pans.  And honestly, I rinse off a few things at a time and they go right into the dishwasher.  I since added stainless steel single bowls sinks in the utility and outdoor kitchen and love those as well. 

FYI, If you are getting a new DW too, go with a Bosch.   Best money you will spend.  You really don't have to pre-wash anything and it will come out perfectly clean.  So damn quite I cant tell it running.

Let me know if you have any other specific questions, I was in the kitchen and bath remodeling industry of almost two decades and would be happy to give you honest feedback on any products you are looking at.

Prefer full to divided but hell fucking yes on the Bosch dishwasher....

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2020 at 1:01 PM, Ignatius said:

Prefer full to divided but hell fucking yes on the Bosch dishwasher....

Staying at a beach house this month that has a Miele with the silverware tray (3rd rack) at the top. Have two thoughts. The Bosch I have at home is much better and easier to turn on. Fuck the 3rd rack.

I am actually in the market for a sink, so this thread is an interesting read. I ripped out the original cabinets and sink in this house (lots of reasons why they had to go), and I am toying with the idea of just going with rolling island-style cutting surfaces instead of traditional countertops. If I do that, I need either a wall mounted or a free-standing sink. Anybody got any pros and cons on those options?  I'm leaning towards the wall-mount, but I've seen some free-standing that I might like. I could also jury-rig a free-standing using a traditional drop-in sink, so that option is on the table.

I am actually in the market for a sink, so this thread is an interesting read. I ripped out the original cabinets and sink in this house (lots of reasons why they had to go), and I am toying with the idea of just going with rolling island-style cutting surfaces instead of traditional countertops. If I do that, I need either a wall mounted or a free-standing sink. Anybody got any pros and cons on those options?  I'm leaning towards the wall-mount, but I've seen some free-standing that I might like. I could also jury-rig a free-standing using a traditional drop-in sink, so that option is on the table.

When you say traditional counter surface do you mean laminate? You can cut and prep on 99% of granite and most name brand quartz surfaces without fear of scratching. White quartz and some cheap Chinese Granites might be a little problematic. Plus, a true hardwood butcher block counter custom made can cost more per sqft then level one or two granite.

Personally, what ever sink I have, it has to be under mounted. I would want some kind of cabinets and counter on the sides of the sink, even if it was a tiny kitchen just for storage and organization purposes.

Wall mounted sinks often require significant plumbing retrofit to work as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I prefer the full sink, but I know I will never have one because of the wife. I really don't get why she don't like full sinks and thinks we have to have a double sink.

I do all the dishes and most of the cooking. Her ortho surgeon said no more washing dishes after he rebuilt her hands. I shedded my man card long ago.