HBO, Bill Simmons Team for '30 for 30'-Like Music Documentary Series

Don Johnson

The project from Ringer Films will take a similar approach to the music business that the ESPN docs did for sports.

HBO and The Ringer's Bill Simmons are teaming for a series of documentaries about the music world — taking a similar approach to what Simmons did with sports docs in ESPN's 30 for 30 series.

The six-part series will task six filmmakers with exploring pivotal moments or stretches in an artist's career, iconic albums or larger looks at the music industry. Simmons' Ringer Films will produce, with Simmons serving as executive producer along with Polygram Entertainment and Universal Music Publishing Group executives Jody Gerson and Marc Cimino.

"It’s been a dream of mine to put this project together,” said Simmons. "It wasn’t until I started working with Jody and Marc that the potential of it started to seem real. We see an opportunity to elevate the storytelling form with music docs much like 30 for 30 changed the landscape for sports documentaries at the end of last decade. We don’t want to make music docs that just cover the beginning, middle and end of someone’s career. We think there’s a different way to do these. And we want to work with the best directors possible, talented filmmakers who have the same passion for this project that we do. I couldn’t be more excited for the challenge. Being able to explore this with HBO is like the cherry on top."