Which death will rock your world?

jimmyjazz

Page, Plant, Townshend, and McCartney.  

With each of those 4...a monumental amount of rock shall crumble to the sea.  

Lots of other icons, but none of 'em holding up that much mountain...

2 hours ago, Queen Bitch said:

It was Bowie.

Only time I've cried (CRIED!!) when someone died that I didn't even know.

I got a little weepy with Petty.  The GF and I had seen him just a few days before at "KAABOO" . I heard it on the radio, got home to her cooking dinner, and we were very sad after I told her. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

Page, Plant, Townshend, and McCartney.  

With each of those 4...a monumental amount of rock shall crumble to the sea.  

Lots of other icons, but none of 'em holding up that much mountain...

Puleeese...Bob Weir, Phil Lesh, Bill Kreutzman, and/or Mickey Hart.  McCartney and Ringo will make me pause.  Plant, Page, Keith, and Mick will make me sad, but any of the remaining Grateful Dead members will for real make me cry.

17 minutes ago, Hate said:

Puleeese...Bob Weir, Phil Lesh, Bill Kreutzman, and/or Mickey Hart.  McCartney and Ringo will make me pause.  Plant, Page, Keith, and Mick will make me sad, but any of the remaining Grateful Dead members will for real make me cry.

Mickey is an alien. He'll outlive us all. 

I'll be sad when the other members of the Dead pass but it will really hurt when Bobby goes. I've always been a huge fan of both his playing and his songs. He's so unique and so under appreciated. He was the first to keep the music going after Jerry died. He's also written some really great music since Jerry died. 

Also, I'd like to be there to console his daughter. 

51791773_857079954638415_167224385335076

• Like 2

Yeah, Bobby is underrated if at all possible. All passing fans think of Jerry, and for good reason. Bobby takes a seat to nobody for song writing and rhythm guitar. He invented a new way of playing rhythm guitar that has never and may never be duplicated.

• Like 1

Willie Nelson.  

He's been a constant, unchanged presence as far back as my memories can reach.  I remember so many car trips when I was in grade school, where my friends' parents would pick us up from an event, and they'd have Willie going on the car radio (probably on 8-track). 

I've had a lot of musical heroes that were more important to me in my formative years, but none of them were also my father's musical heroes.  

Willie is like a star in the sky that never moves.  It's going to be really strange for me to one day wake up in a world without him.

• Like 5

I'll be saddened by the passing of my musical heroes, but the beauty of it all is the music they've made over the past 50-60 years will never go away. I'm extremely thankful that at 70 Bruce is still putting out high quality & relevant work, but he's used up a great deal of the runway already.

Dylan will be the biggest loss, IMO. Paul changed pop music, but Bob changed all music. And maybe more than that.

• Like 1

Prince's death still bothers me.  Holy fuck he was so gifted.

As the Super Bowl in Miami approaches, I have and will again watch this several times from 2007.  After Prince, probably Mark Knopfler or Eric Johnson down the road.  James Hetfield's voice has been with me many times, both happy and sad.  That will be a little sad when he passes, too.

Edited by Iceman
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Much like I declared on the football injury thread, this is a bad fucking idea. That bullshit caused an unprecedented season in terms of injuries.   You guys are tempting the rock gods. Don't say I didn't warn you 

I will tempt fate then.  McCartney, Dylan and Jagger will be the big ones to me but at the same time they are all kind of old so it won't be shocking.  The one that killed me was when Adam Yauch died.  Way too young, seemed like a good person with the Free Tibet shit, and it ended the Beastie Boys.  They had a lot more music to give the world.  That one hurt.

2 hours ago, Iceman said:

That f'n choked me up.  Purple Rain.  I had to pause it and collect myself.

I saw Gilmour the show prior to this where he paid respects to the man (4:30 mark)...

Edited by Cajun

Townes Van Zandt hurt, but maybe he had nothing left in the tank at 52.  Saw Guy Clark many times and took my kids to see him at Richardson WIldflower Festival late in his career.  He was great and someone to emulate when he'd forget a lyric.  He'd stop and yell goddamnit before starting again.

dBoon of the Minutemen was a big loss in the mid 80's. That band was great.  Nice to see Mike Watt play with the Stooges.

So going forth would be Iggy and Ray Davies.  Nice Jarmausch documentary on the Stooges is on Amazon.  Still floors me how good the Kinks were.  And violent--being banned from the USA because on their first US tour the bassist beat up a union dude and then the drummer clocked Dave Davies on stage and put him in the hospital.  

Just now, yoladu said:

i know most don't know her or the bands she played in but Kim Shattuck passing away last year wrecked me. (ALS - 56 years old)

Coolest, hottest, punk rock chick ever.

i think Bob Mould or Ira Kaplan passing away would hit me very hard.

I feel like it's already happened several times with SRV, Shawn Lane, Layne Staley, and Cobain.

I guess Westerberg would be it. I never met him but a few of my friends in grad school were from the Minneapolis music scene and they introduced me to his wife Laurie (not his previous wife Lori) when she and her band were in town. She was really cool. We all got high together and then went to their show. 

Edited by ajax