Which death will rock your world?

jimmyjazz

I can't "Imagine" anyone's passing affecting me the way Lennon's did. 

I was at Texas at a girlfriend's apartment at what was then TriTowers when we heard the news. I went out on the tiny balcony and fired one up and cried for an hour. Prince, Mercury, Bowie, Petty etc were sad but Lennon's murder was devastating. Killed by a "fan".

Sheesh. 

Edited by DoobieWah

1 hour ago, DoobieWah said:

I can't "Imagine" anyone's passing affecting me the way Lennon's did. 

I was at Texas at a girlfriend's apartment at what was then TriTowers when we heard the news. I went out on the tiny balcony and fired one up and cried for an hour.

User name . . . check.

• Like 3

On 1/22/2020 at 11:17 PM, Hate said:

Puleeese...Bob Weir, Phil Lesh, Bill Kreutzman, and/or Mickey Hart.  McCartney and Ringo will make me pause.  Plant, Page, Keith, and Mick will make me sad, but any of the remaining Grateful Dead members will for real make me cry.

You're right about Weir.  I should have listed him, but he was the one that elegantly noted that the band was greater than the sum of its parts.  When he goes, yep...no more incarnations of the Grateful Dead.  And with him goes a wonderful songwriter and brilliant guitarist.  I don't like his voice, but I love the songs he sings...if that makes sense. 

And of course I'd mourn any of the other deaths to some extent, but none of them would mean the end of the Grateful Dead.  I've lived a long time enjoying Led Zeppelin knowing there'll never be another Led Zeppelin tour or album and I'm okay with that because it's the world I've always known.  Same for the Beatles.  Grateful Dead are an anomaly for me though because I've already seen a few members die during the time I first started following them (late 1980s).  I'll never see any band as many times live as I saw the Grateful Dead.  But I remember when Brent Mydland died, I remember when Jerry Garcia died, and I remember when Vince Welnick died.  Lesh and Kruetzmann were there are the very beginning of it all and would be missed, but Dead & Co. could still work without them (it already works without Lesh).  They would be both monumental losses to music.  Hart ain't going anywhere.  But yeah---Weir dying would very likely mark the end of all the last 55 years of Grateful Dead (the last 25 being the other versions---Other Ones, Furthur, Dead, et. al.).  While it's a pale reminder of the many years I spent on the road following the full band, the last 25 years have still provided wonderful music and great times mainly under the watch of Bob Weir.  When he goes, it's all done.  No disrespect to other members, but it'll all be over...lost to time like acid drops in the rain. 

SRV probably hit me the hardest

Tom Petty was tough.  Saw him the last time he was in Austin.

B.B. King - He was old but when he died, I had just lost my job and my father...on the same day.  It was the topper for bad things come in threes for sure.  Got to seem him play in person.  It was a mountain top experience for me.

Peart was a bummer...

Page and Plant are going to be kick in the sack.  

• Like 1

On 1/23/2020 at 12:49 AM, Paul Wesley said:

Willie Nelson.  

He's been a constant, unchanged presence as far back as my memories can reach.  I remember so many car trips when I was in grade school, where my friends' parents would pick us up from an event, and they'd have Willie going on the car radio (probably on 8-track). 

I've had a lot of musical heroes that were more important to me in my formative years, but none of them were also my father's musical heroes.  

Willie is like a star in the sky that never moves.  It's going to be really strange for me to one day wake up in a world without him.

Yep.  And well stated.  I'm not even a huge fan, but this one would get me.  Too many ties to the past for me.  

8 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

You know, Ennio Morricone has done a lot of incredible stuff. Same for John Williams.

It’s a different conversation, but as far as composers go, both will be incredible losses when they happen. Both are old as shit, too.

I listen to EM every single night going to sleep.  The man's work is imbeded in my DNA.

Great call there.