Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

Saw this from the Brazos County folks. 

Officials have been working to contact people who were on his flight home from the Wuhan region, and on Thursday they increased the number of people they have identified as having had close contact with that patient in recent days to 43. Those people will get daily check-ins from medical personnel to monitor their health.

Separately, the state’s health officer, Dr. Kathy Lofy, said in an interview that officials have started investigating a few other individuals in the state to determine whether they may have the coronavirus strain.

I interface with a LOT of foreign personnel on a daily basis in my job. Just to get a dialogue started I called my supervisor and asked him if we were aware and did we have a plan to address the situation. He told me we were aware and monitoring, although I was less than confident when I questioned our incoming Asian clients. "I don't know" was not what I was looking for.

To reassure me, he told me masks, hand sanitizer and rubber gloves could be provided as a precaution. I thanked him for the suggestion and said I was reserving the rubber gloves for personal use. At that point one a female supervisors that works for the client yelled "TMI!" 

I had to mea culpa hard and she got a huge laugh out of it. Thank God I work with ex-military.

Possible case in Houston area:
https://www.fox26houston.com/news/brazos-county-investigating-suspected-coronavirus-case-in-patient-who-traveled-from-china
"patient met the criteria for coronavirus testing and is being kept isolated at home".

Yeah this worked so well for Dallas with the guy who had Ebola. He went out shopping at Northpark and coughed all over everyone eating at Maggianos and painted/sprayed a stall brown in the Men's restroom 4 feet high coming out of both ends.
Not in Houston but in BCS. Aggy.

8 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

So far, the numbers seem to be holding - 2-3% of infected victims dying.  That jives with this affecting the elderly and those with immune system problems the most.  If the mortality rate was much higher and/or it was a lot more infectious, we'd be seeing the results outside of China.  Instead, we keep seeing the same recirculated videos and photos on social media.  Woulda/coulda/shoulda locked things down a few days ago, but here we are.

For reference, the 2018-2019 flu season in the US sickened around 41.3 million people, and killed 57,300.   The flue affected around 12.5% of the US population, and of those sickened, well less than 1% died.  

3% mortality rate like the Coroa virus would be around 1.2 million dead Americans from the flu, give or take.

Still, the most concerning thing about this is the 10-14 day incubation period, and the fact that many from China who are working/studying around the world, were there in China during the early stages, and then flew back to the various countries they are working/studying in.   So it's off to HEB to buy cases of Ramen, crackers, peanut butter, and water.

106 degrees of Kevin Bacon

bd35823f0603dcbfa202852e47de431f.jpg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

If it is, I'm positive that it will kill all the smart, decent people, and leave all the assholes and morons alive and well.

Because every level of this simulation sucks, why not this one?

I guess we know which one of the gang Brisket is

tenor.gif

• Like 2

I'm about to hop on a flight to SFO. Please make sure there's money in the wreath fund. Take care of my wife and children. I'll see all of you on the other side. 

Update: the coronavirus may not have time to kill me, because I think my Uber driver to the airport is going to take care of that. 

Edited by HornOnTheBayou

1 minute ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

I'm about to hop on a flight to SFO. Please make sure there's money in the wreath fund. Take care of my wife and children. I'll see all of you on the other side. 

Update: the coronavirus may not have time to kill me, because I think my Uber driver to the airport is going to take care of that. 

be safe, don't suck any dicks in the lavoratory

unless that's explicitly why you're going, in which case, Godspeed

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Xian said:
  • This corona-virus is sensitive to heat. 30 minutes in 56 C (that is 130F) environment will kill it effectively

Our cells start to die around 41°C (106°F) to 45°C (113°F) but we can survive much higher air temperatures: a healthy person could make a day trip to Death Valley on one of its hottest days-- 55°C (131°F)-- and, so long as he avoided dehydration, would probably not die.

What are we waiting for?

Wisconsin%20Oven%20Walk%20In%20Oven%2030

16 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

goodbye GIF

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Pics of wife will help aid be directed where most needed.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

reports of second case in US. Chicago. 

Seeing that in multiple places on the web as well in just the last 5 minutes. 

https://wgntv.com/2020/01/24/1st-case-of-chinese-coronavirus-confirmed-in-chicago/

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced Friday that a case of the coronavirus has been confirmed in the Chicago area.

Authorities believe case is travel-related and the 60-year-old woman, from Chicago, came in through O’Hare International Airport on Jan. 13.

The woman is reported to be well and in stable condition.

The Big Question is how many people did she give it to in the airport.

Edited by 0xdeadbeef

5 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

Seeing that in multiple places on the web as well in just the last 5 minutes. 

https://wgntv.com/2020/01/24/1st-case-of-chinese-coronavirus-confirmed-in-chicago/

The Big Question is how many people did she give it to in the airport.

So 11 days from arrival too announcement. Anyone remember when Chicago started enhanced screening? 

And saw this. Numbers going up fast or just extra precaution? Any word if aggy is confirmed? 

U.S. health officials said they diagnosed a second patient with the China coronavirus after a Chicago woman returned from Wuhan with the infection, and they are currently monitoring 63 other potential cases here.

The cases currently being monitored in the U.S. stretch across 22 different states, including the first patient in Washington state and the new case in Illinois, Dr. Nancy Messonnier, the director of the National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, told reporters on a conference call hosted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Friday.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/24/cdc-confirms-second-us-case-of-coronavirus-chicago-resident-diagnosed.html

Edited by InkaUtexas

So in BCS they won't say what flight the infected kid was on.  They won't say what ER hospital he went to.

So I had a flight Thursday night to BCS, I got Sick Sunday and went to the ER in BCS for other reasons and I am still in the hospital after having some surgery.  I get discharged today.  Now I am sitting in my room here listening to every cough like WTF was that!!??

3 minutes ago, Moby Ric said:

So in BCS they won't say what flight the infected kid was on.  They won't say what ER hospital he went to.

So I had a flight Thursday night to BCS, I got Sick Sunday and went to the ER in BCS for other reasons and I am still in the hospital after having some surgery.  I get discharged today.  Now I am sitting in my room here listening to every cough like WTF was that!!??

Surgery in BCS? Relax, you were gonna die, anyway. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

i've been to chengdu. wonderful big little city. legit food.

they think it's bats:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7920573/Revolting-footage-shows-Chinese-woman-eating-bat-scientists-link-coronavirus-animal.html

jesus christ. i mean, it's china, and they love to eat stuff like fucking chicken feet. but bat soup? christ on a cracker.

Sure they weren’t fucking them?

• Like 1

Two things that are gonna be fascinating:

1) when this thread grows to 100+ pages as we frantically discuss the coronavirus apocalypse.

2) when this thread peters out because everyone is dead and the internet is dead and society has collapsed.

I'm just here to be a ray of sunshine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RollLeft said:
  • This corona-virus is sensitive to heat. 30 minutes in 56 C (that is 130F) environment will kill it effectively

Our cells start to die around 41°C (106°F) to 45°C (113°F) but we can survive much higher air temperatures: a healthy person could make a day trip to Death Valley on one of its hottest days-- 55°C (131°F)-- and, so long as he avoided dehydration, would probably not die.

What are we waiting for?

Wisconsin%20Oven%20Walk%20In%20Oven%2030

In an unrelated note, a new Chinese super food "Soylent Yellow" will be hitting supermarkets in a few months.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away