Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

I've got a buddy that has been traveling back and forth from San Francisco to Hong Kong for work (at least 3 roundtrips in the last 2 months and he was there as of Sunday).  This virus/outbreak hits close to home but hope it doesn't actually hit close to home.   These kinds of outbreaks kinda freak me the fuck out especially for the olds and the poor.  Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

5 hours ago, Shady Ray said:

Woo Han! Got Us All in Check officially over here in Germany as of today.

Specifically the district of Munich where I live has the honor. It’s the first documented “person to person” transmission outside of China. Some poor dude caught it from a colleague from Wuhan who was in town for work.

Was nice knowing y’all.

Yeah, I have to be in northern Bavaria next week. what's the verdict on wearing a p100 mask through the airport?

WHO Has Admitted an Error in Its Assessment of Wuhan Coronavirus Risk

The World Health Organization, which has sometimes been criticised for its handling of past disease outbreaks, admitted an error on Monday in its risk assessment of China's deadly virus.

The Geneva-based UN agency said in a situation report late Sunday that the risk was "very high in China, high at the regional level and high at the global level."

In a footnote, the WHO explained that it had stated "incorrectly" in its previous reports on Thursday, Friday and Saturday that the global risk was "moderate".

The correction of the global risk assessment does not mean that an international health emergency has been declared.

The WHO on Thursday stopped short of declaring the novel coronavirus a public health emergency of international concern - a rare designation used only for the worst outbreaks that would trigger more concerted global action.

The virus, which was first identified in the city of Wuhan in China on December 31, has since infected more than 2,700 people worldwide, including a few cases identified in over a dozen other countries.

Eighty-one people have died - all of them in China.

A 'sizeable' mistake

WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, who is visiting China this week to discuss ways of containing the outbreak, came under intense questioning from reporters on Thursday over his decision not to declare the emergency.

Some reporters asked whether the decision was politicised.

At the briefing at WHO headquarters, however, Tedros had said that the designation could be changed at any moment and that the global risk from the outbreak was "high".

"This is an emergency in China but it has not yet become a global health emergency. It may yet become one," he said.

"WHO's risk assessment is that the outbreak is a very high risk in China, and a high risk regionally and globally."

WHO said the categorisation was "a global evaluation of risk, covering severity, spread and capacity to cope".

The agency added that the mistake made in three of its situation reports had been an "error in the wording".

Asked about the correction, Antoine Flahault, co-director of the Swiss School of Public Health, told AFP: "It's a mistake. It's definitely a sizeable one... but I really think it's a mistake that has now been corrected".

Cautious approach

WHO's cautious approach to the outbreak, which has been challenged by some critics, can be seen in the context of past criticism over its slow or too hasty use of the term, first used for the deadly 2009 H1N1 swine flu pandemic.

During that outbreak, the UN health agency was criticised for sparking panic-buying of vaccines with its announcement that year that the outbreak had reached pandemic proportions, and then anger when it turned out the virus was not nearly as dangerous as first thought.

But in 2014, the WHO met harsh criticism for dragging its feet and downplaying the severity of the Ebola epidemic that ravaged three West Africa countries, claiming more than 11,300 lives by the time it ended in 2016.

© Agence France-Presse

https://www.sciencealert.com/who-tries-to-correct-wuhan-coronavirus-risk-level/amp

I also was procrastinating about the shingles vacs, until I started googling "shingles symptoms" or some such. I was at the pharmacy the next day.

I got it the summer of 2018. Not fun but it could have been worse. I recently got the two part vaccine. If you get it around your eyes you can go blind.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1124646

Harvard's chemistry chair charged with lying about China contract

The Thousand Talents program tries to recruit experts from Western universities to work in China and ramp up its progress in science and technology. In a complaint, the FBI said the program has "rewarded individuals for stealing proprietary information and violating export controls."

Probably unrelated lol

https://harvardmagazine.com/2011/01/virus-sized-transistors

Digital electronics are so powerful that they dominate our daily lives,” Lieber points out. “When scaled down, the difference between digital and living systems blurs, so that you have an opportunity to do things that sound like science fiction--things that people have only dreamed about.”

https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2012/01/professor-charles-lieber-receives-israels-wolf-prize/

Professor Charles Lieber receives Israel’s Wolf Prize

Edited by Zavala

Wait.....this is a HARVARD virus?

Well then, I'm a lot less concerned.  I mean, now we know that both the rate of transmission and the fatality rate are significantly inflated.  On the downside, anyone with the virus will be sure to let you know within 30 seconds that they have the virus.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Well then, I'm a lot less concerned.  I mean, now we know that both the rate of transmission and the fatality rate are significantly inflated.  On the downside, anyone with the virus will be sure to let you know within 30 seconds that they have the virus.

I got the virus while studying in Boston. Well, Cambridge, to be more exact.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Missed the mark.

15 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

I got the virus while studying in Boston. Well, Cambridge, to be more exact.

This is correct.  

Harvard graduates don’t come right out and tell you they went to Harvard.  They make you work for it, by mentioning “Boston” or “Massachusetts” and then playing a game of 20 Questions until forced to drop the H-Bomb.  Trust me on this.  I learned it while in school near Boston.

Edited by BrickHorn
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

Herpes Zoster though, Not Herpes Simplex

Yes, and the youngsters here all have had the chicken pox vaccine so they never got chicken pox. So they can only get shingles if they come in close contact with the open shingles rash of someone with shingles. But if you had chicken pox you have a 1/3 chance of getting shingles later in life. So get the vaccines if you’ve had chicken pox.

1 minute ago, HouTex said:

Yes, and the youngsters here all have had the chicken pox vaccine so they never got chicken pox. So they can only get shingles if they come in close contact with the open shingles rash of someone with shingles. But if you had chicken pox you have a 1/3 chance of getting shingles later in life. So get the vaccines if you’ve had chicken pox.

Got Shingles in my mid-30s, still can't get the vaccine for quite a few more years.  Really sucked, do not recommend

Edited by JesusSweatDuck
typo

I read that the pneumonia vaccine is only for older adults?  Always been curious about that - why not for everyone?

I'm sort of on the thing that if the disease has a vaccine, just give it to me unless there's a well-documented reason not to.  Yellow fever?  Sure.  Dengue Fever?  Why not?  Malaria?  OK.

13 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

I read that the pneumonia vaccine is only for older adults?  Always been curious about that - why not for everyone?

I'm sort of on the thing that if the disease has a vaccine, just give it to me unless there's a well-documented reason not to.  Yellow fever?  Sure.  Dengue Fever?  Why not?  Malaria?  OK.

Anyone can get it. Insurance usually covers it below a certain age, above a certain age, and at-risk groups in between (smokers, asthma sufferers, etc.)

lulz

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/day6/coronavirus-impeachment-then-and-now-picard-returns-fruits-of-the-goop-lab-cbc-logo-designer-and-more-1.5437706/a-virtual-plague-that-decimated-world-of-warcraft-could-hold-lessons-for-real-world-outbreaks-researchers-say-1.5437746

A virtual plague that decimated World of Warcraft could hold lessons for real-world outbreaks, researchers say (snip)

...Lofgren says that unleashing a virus inside a game can be a more ethical — and engaging — approach to gathering data about outbreaks...

...A key driver of the disease's spread, according to Lofgren's research, was players' ability to teleport from one part of the world to another.  While teleportation doesn't exist in the real world...

...Researchers took particular note of the way that Corrupted Blood was spread in World of Warcraft, and what developer Blizzard did to mitigate it. Ultimately, Blizzard was forced to reset the servers, which eliminated the disease's spread beyond Zul'Gurub's borders....

So all we have to do is reset the servers.

Edited by clapclapclap
  • Like 3

Just now, clapclapclap said:

lulz

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/day6/coronavirus-impeachment-then-and-now-picard-returns-fruits-of-the-goop-lab-cbc-logo-designer-and-more-1.5437706/a-virtual-plague-that-decimated-world-of-warcraft-could-hold-lessons-for-real-world-outbreaks-researchers-say-1.5437746

A virtual plague that decimated World of Warcraft could hold lessons for real-world outbreaks, researchers say (snip)

...Lofgren says that unleashing a virus inside a game can be a more ethical — and engaging — approach to gathering data about outbreaks...

...Researchers took particular note of the way that Corrupted Blood was spread in World of Warcraft, and what developer Blizzard did to mitigate it. Ultimately, Blizzard was forced to reset the servers, which eliminated the disease's spread beyond Zul'Gurub's borders....

6d5df40045b76d070dbf05959a4de49ec68818a7

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BrickHorn said:

Missed the mark.

This is correct.  

Harvard graduates don’t come right out and tell you they went to Harvard.  They make you work for it, by mentioning “Boston” or “Massachusetts” and then playing a game of 20 Questions until forced to drop the H-Bomb.  Trust me on this.  I learned it while in school near Boston.

So you went to Newbury?

52 minutes ago, MoJames said:

It is for a very specific type of pneumonia caused by strep Pneumococcal, not all. It is part of the vaccination schedule.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/schedules/hcp/imz/child-adolescent.html

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/schedules/hcp/imz/adult.html

Not challenging, but my personal digital doctor says (adds on fingers) 36 different pneumonias:

https://www.webmd.com/lung/pneumococcal-vaccine-schedule##1

There are two vaccines for pneumonia that protect against different types of the infection.

• PCV13 helps protect people from 13 of the most severe types of bacteria that cause pneumonia.
  • PPSV23 protects against an additional 23 types of pneumonia bacteria. Neither can prevent every type of pneumonia, but they work against more than 30 common, severe types.

People who need a pneumonia vaccine should get both shots: first, the PCV13 shot and then the PPSV23 shot a year or more later.

2 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

No stds, but I did catch a crop of crabs in a Monterrey whorehouse in 1961.

I was hoping you would fess up to being the human involved with the chimp that resulted in the HIV spillover event in 1908.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

The virus was wearing my Harvard tie. Can you believe it? My Harvard tie. Like, oh sure, he went to Harvard.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Fuck Tim Beck said:

2 years ago at 45. Shingles does in fact blow goats. 

I had always heard that you get the shot after the age of 50? Is it common to get the shot earlier? I know someone that just had shingles, and that doesnt seem like something I want to endure. 

7 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

I’m gonna need some of y’all to fact check this interesting graphic. I don’t remember much of SARS. 

The red SARS lines look mostly correct.  The days seem like it may be a little compressed?  China notified WHO on Feb 10th 2003 and the WHO declared the outbreak contained on July 5th.  That would be 145 days.  It could be that there was just a long flat tail that they chopped off to focus at the head of the outbreak for this comparison.

This new virus has killed just over 100 and infected just under 5000 and it was reported to WHO on Dec 31st.  So given that, I'd say the yellow plot looks reasonably close to accurate.  But as others have noted, we may be getting a flood of numbers as diagnosis/reporting catches up to the initial outbreak.  You can kind of see that type of initial jump in the red SARS plot.  Anyway, interesting graphs, and if this holds, it looks like this could be worse than SARS but still may be primarily constrained to China.

2 hours ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Got Shingles in my mid-30s, still can't get the vaccine for quite a few more years.  Really sucked, do not recommend

I got it in my early 30s, but it was basically a non-event for me (other than preventing me from swimming in the middle of a hot Houston summer).  My wife was diagnosed with it after her hospital stay for pneumonia. She was actually complaining about back pain when we were initially in the ER for her pneumonia.  It's possible she had shingles that led to pneumonia, or maybe the pneumonia weaked her body enough to clear the stage for a shingles flare-up.  Either way, her rash was relatively minor and healed quickly, but she still has back pain on that side of her body a few weeks later.  We will both be getting the vaccine when we can.

19 minutes ago, Blotto said:

I had always heard that you get the shot after the age of 50? Is it common to get the shot earlier? I know someone that just had shingles, and that doesnt seem like something I want to endure. 

My Dr said I couldn't have it until I was 50.  Something to the effect that it hasn't been cleared for anyone under 50.  Didn't check whether that was true or not.

24 minutes ago, Blotto said:

I didn't even know there was a shot before I got shingles. But I've heard age 50 as well 

2 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

lulz

...A key driver of the disease's spread, according to Lofgren's research, was players' ability to teleport from one part of the world to another.  While teleportation doesn't exist in the real world...

I was there in Ironforge when it hit. Scary stuff . 

Edited by UTGrad98
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Blotto said:

After asking around, apparently our company insurance will pay for the shot after the age of 50, which is the official CDC recommendation. Before 50, it's out of pocket, which appears to be roughly $300. 

Hate to jump on the derailment train...but, does anyone know if the Shingrix shot will help prevent Bell's Palsy? Since shingles and Bell's are both supposedly cause by herpes zoster.  I've had Bell's 3 times and I don't fucking want it again, nor do I want shingles which I might be particularly susceptible to, based on my Bell's experiences.

Got my first shingles shot about four months ago. Felt like I had the flu for 36 hours afterwards. Apparently, a common side effect. Need to go for the second one, but kind of dreading it. Better than shingles, though.

Same here, but just a low grade fever and body aches. The second shot reaction wasn’t quite as bad.
  • Like 1

Just now, HouTex said:

Same here, but just a low grade fever and body aches. The second shot reaction wasn’t quite as bad.

Good to know. I was in bed for a day, alternating between being freezing and burning up. Probably didn't help having the flu shot at the same time..

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away